+44 (0) 7798 522243
8 Lower Sand Hills
Peter Ashley has a successful 14-year career as an independent Interim Manager, prior to which he held senior client facing positions in Reuters where he led a number of significant projects to equip the new equities market makers, brokers and fund managers for Big Bang.
He has a track record of Change Management in the UK, US, Europe and Offshore, delivering programmes with a mix of business and IT components. He has extensive experience in Outsourcing, Vendor Selection, Contract negotiation, Systems Integration and Implementation of multi-million pound global projects. He is familiar with PRINCE II project methodology.
Interim assignments have included2003 / Major UK Retail Bank / Delivery Manger / £1Bn contract value Outsource. Global Business Processing
2002 / Lloyds TSB / Programme Manager / £100M outsource
£1Bn asset transfer
2000-01 / Cazenove / Programme Manager / Broker Research Extranet
2000 / 21store.com / Programme Manager / Preparation for Flotation
1998 –99 / Coutts & Co. / Programme Manager / Global Roll out of a Banking Engine
1994-97 / Dow Jones Telerate / Interim General Manager / Country Manager Turkey
Key Skills and Achievements
- Outsourced Solutions Delivered two major UK Bank’s largest outsourced solutions to date. Conducted objective vendor selection, negotiated commercial contracts and SLAs. Defined roles, responsibilities and interfaces for multi-vendor solutions. Delivered programmes into an outsourced operations environment. Stake Holder Management including Staff, Union and Regulatory bodies.
- Programme/Project Management. Recovered a failing IBM Global Services project for a major investment bank. Managed the global roll out of a banking system for a major private bank.
- Solution Creation. Researched and documented Business Requirement. Researched the market, Presented short listed options and SWOT analysis to the business.
- Vendor Selection. Created ITTs and evaluated bids. Documented decision criteria in advance. Resultant decisions are open and auditable.
- General Management. Country Manager. Built multi discipline teams of business and IT experts. Interviewed and appointed permanent staff. Managed skills transfer. Built a departmental structure. Opened new branches. Managed departmental heads.
- Financial Management. Budget preparation, tracking and reporting. Multiple global projects delivered within budget.
- Matrix Management. Management of up to 100 staff across 11 work streams.
Interim AssignmentsMajor UK Retail Bank
Delivery ManagerResponsible for a £1Bn programme with Share Price and Employee Relations sensitivity. Offshore sourcing of Business Processing. Subject to NDA. Matrix management of 100 staff in 11 workstreams.
2002 -2003 /
Interim Programme ManagerDelivered the Bank’s largest outsource solution to date. Eight streams of multi-project work. Multiple commercial contracts, Bank of England and FSA regulatory issues, HR and TUPE in a hostile union environment, IT and premises in 4 UK centres, plus a further £1Bn asset transfer.
Barclays Private Clients
Consultant – Change Governance
BPC spans Barclays Investment Management, Stockbrokers, Private Banking, International Banking and Premier clients.Peter was engaged to consolidate the change governance of the various BPC divisions into a single methodology, adding “Best Practice” to the mandatory processes.
Cazenove & Co Ltd
2000 -2001 /
Interim Programme ManagerPeter was engaged to replace IBM project management and take over an IBM Global Services project to develop and roll out an Intranet and Extranet for the targeted delivery of Broker Research. The project was failing and vendor independent project management was required. Areas of concern were financial management, business appreciation and vendor management.
A solid understanding of Outsourcing was required; both in terms of working within the constraints of existing outsourced contracts and SLAs, and also in creating new and compatible outsourced solutions from multiple vendors.
Peter demonstrated that the then current approach would not address the business requirements. Subsequently he created alternative solutions for the business, conducting market research, budget preparation, vendor selection, creating and assessing responses to Invitations to Tender, contract negotiations, definition of SLAs and the integration of multiple service offerings to the business.
Recommended solutions delivered seven-figure year on year operational cost savings.
1999 - 2000 /
Interim Programme ManagerCo-founder of an internet retail company. Peter was instrumental in the raising of two tranches of venture capital, taking the company value from £1M to £15M in 8 months.
Peter’s task was to define and implement the IT necessary to position the company for flotation.
Coutts & Co
1997 -1999 / Interim Senior Project Manager
Peter was retained, initially by Coutts IT, and subsequently the business, to manage the roll out of their chosen banking engine, Midas, in all off shore business centres.
- The major challenge was the integration of Midas with the bank’s extensive bespoke systems and the migration of data from these to Midas
- Delivered in Isle of Man, Jersey, Guernsey, Bahamas and Cayman
- Responsible to the Board for planning, reporting, P&L and all other targets
- Ran teams of 5-10 dedicated business analysts and IT specialists in each location.
- Recruitment of additional staff drafted in at various phases of the project.
1997 / Business Development
Consulting on effective use of IT in business (mainframe, client server, telecomms and software development) based upon "Comparative Analysis" (Using the company's extensive data base of IT costs, performance figures, and Business Metrics).
Dow Jones Telerate, Turkey. 1994- 1996 / Interim General Manager
- Implemented a departmental structure and managed the managers of Sales, Marketing, Consulting, Operations and Software Development, for all DJT services and products
- Responsible for a $5M revenue stream and the installation of 18 banking systems in 18 months.
- Full Management responsibility for 30 staff in 3 offices across the country, including regional planning and budgeting
- Peter managed the relationship with the IMKB (Istanbul Stock Exchange) and TCMB (The Central Bank of Turkey) The Stock Exchange was relocating to new premises and modelling its systems and practices on those of the European and US exchanges. The Central Bank was re-equipping its dealing room, with the objective of implementing a system through which to control the money supply. Peter arranged for the CBOT to send delegates for the first time to Istanbul to lecture and run Master Classes on the use of derivatives as risk management tools.
BIS 1992 / Interim Marketing Manager
Working for the Chairman of the company Peter provided market and systems integration consultancy. He created a 3 party consortium with IBM and British Telecom.
Together with the chairman, Peter took an active part in the divestment of the company's Dealing Room Systems Operating Division, in preparation for the sale of BIS to ACT and subsequently MISYS.
Pre-Interim CareerProfessional Motorcycle Racing
1991 / Peter managed a motorcycle racing team with responsibility for Finance, Sponsorship Engineering, Development, Logistics, and Travel. He also rode the machines, competed internationally, winning in his class in the Isle of Man.
1986 – 91
1983 – 86
1980 – 83
1978 – 80 / European Marketing Manager, Northern Region for Reuter’s front office product range, Triarch. Previously Peter held Sales and Marketing positions for all Reuter products and services, managing a £25M client base including Barclays, Saloman Brothers, Credit Lyonnais & Cazenove.
Major Account Manager
Peter ran accounts across several sectors. South Wales Electricity Board, Mercantile Credit and Cadbury's
Cheque Production Systems. Peter sold new business and installed £1M systems in both NatWest and Barclays.
Graduate Entry Computer Programmer.
Interests and Hobbies
Peter raced successfully in the Isle of Man, winning his class, and now maintains a collection of classic and modern motorcycles.
A PADI certified Open Water Scuba Instructor.