DIABETIC DIET- USING LOCALLY AVAILABLE FOODS
Sweet foods such as sugars and soft drinks should be avoided as much as possible.
· Mgaiwa porridge without sugar (thin 1 ½ cup, thick 1 cup)
· Plain tea
· Brown bread (3 slices) sparingly margarine if possible
· A piece of sweet potato or cassava
· Boiled Irish potatoes (6 small or 2 big)
· Zitumbuwa not mandasi
· Green maize (1 cob)
· Pumpkin (11/4 small)
· Fruits 1 at a time e.g. 1 banana in the morning and 1 orange (medium) in the evening
Tangerine 2 small
Lemon 2 medium
Banana 2 small or 1 big
Peaches 5-7 small
Pawpaw ¾ cup
Mango 1 small
Guava 2 small
Pineapple ¾ cup
Canned fruits ½ cup
Fruit juice ½ cup
· Boiled eggs 2 per week
· Oats porridge
· Soya porridge – from locally made not donated because donated soya or likuni has a certain percentage of sugar in it.
· A glass of milk about 250mls daily (recommended from dairy board has less fats in it)
· Rice porridge once a week
· Porridge with ground nut flour once a week.
Not all the above mentioned foods at one serving but try to make a balanced meal.
· Mgaiwa nsima with any type of relish without oil added to it.
Beans (1/2 cup)
Chambo ½ medium, fresh utaka 2 small dried utaka 3
Chicken 1 piece
Meat ½ hand size slice
· Local chickens- avoid skin because it contains fats.
· No soft drinks, no sobo
· No rice, gramil/white nsima because it contains a lot of starch.
Recommended methods of cooking include boiling, roasting and grilling.
· Carry mgaiwa.
· Choose a diabetic diet
· Carry sweets
· Eat before or soon after medication
Things to Avoid
· Sugar: for Tea, Porridge.
· Jam: For Bread.
· Soft drinks: Coke, Fanta, Sobo, Mahewu, Thobwa. Diet coke can be taken
· Sweets: Doughnuts, Freezes, Candy, Milk scone, Biscuit, Cakes, Sugar cane
· Oiled Starches: Chips, Samoosa, and Puffs.
· Alcohol: Beer such as Carlsberg, Chibuku, Napolo, and, Masese, Wine, Gin.
Non –Nutritive Sweeteners, (Artificial)
· Acesulfame K
· Diet Coke.
These Sweeteners are considered safe and are used by people with Diabetes to satisfy their taste for sweets without affecting blood sugar level,
SAMPLE MENU FOR A DAYMeals/ snacks / Menu
Break fast / · 2 slices of bread no margarine, no jam
· Or 1 cup of thick porridge no nsinjiro, no sugar
· Tea no sugar
Snack 10:00 / · 1 small mango or fruit in season
Lunch / · 3 small chipande of nsima
· Or 3 cups of rice
· 1 cup beans (no oil)
· 1 cup boiled vegetables with 2 tsp of oil
Snack 15:00 / · 2 small bananas or fruit in season
Supper / · 3 small chipande of nsima
· ¾ cup usipa no oil or 1/8 chicken (no oil)
· 2 cups of cabbage salad (no oil)