Spanish Language Immersion in a Sustainable Paradise
October 13-20 and October 20-27, 2018
Sponsored By:Sue Rivell McClam, Huatulco Intensive Language Courses.
Maru Cortés Ramos, ASLI - Spanish Language Institute of Cuernavaca.
Both programs include:
- 7-Nights hotel, single room
- Airport transportation
- All meals – A variety of traditional authentic regional foods
- Spanish language study – 2 hours daily in the classroom or at beach cafes
- Continuous personalized language practice throughout the day
- Walking tours and artisan demonstrations
- Beach days – swimming, snorkeling
- Closing fiesta dinner
October 13-20, 2018 Immersion #1 is designed for students who are interested in taking their Spanish language practice to a new level by engaging in the Huatulco community and surroundings through activities, classes and excursions. We introduce you to the sustainable practices recognized at an international level over the past few years while including a view into the extensive and rich history of the region. Get to know Huatulco while you expand and improve your language proficiency.
Immersion #1 also includes:
- Boat tour of the bays of Huatulco
- Visit to Agro-Ecological Development
- Visit to rural school
- Visit to mountain waterfall
- Tour of Eco-Archeological Park
- Cooking class – traditional regional foods
October 20-27, 2018 Immersion #2 is designed for students who enjoyed Experience #1 so much that they requested we put together another week of different activities around which more language practice evolves. Through classes, activities and excursions this hands-on look at Huatulco's sustainable community endeavors allows us to practice Spanish with those committed to ecofriendly businesses with passion. We welcome all participants. Immersion #1 is not a prerequisite.
Immersion #2 also includes:
- Boat tour of the bays of Huatulco
- Mountain walk at waterfalls
- Visit to beach village, bird watching
- Tour of organic ranch/cheese making
- Cooking class – traditional regional foods
- Traditional Temazcal experience
- Round-trip airfare to Huatulco
- *Travel Insurance
- Medical Expenses
- Items of a personal nature
Total Cost: $1200 (Based on single occupancy)
Reservations: This personalized experience is limited to 10 participants. Please make your reservations as early as possible to secure your place! We limit the number of participants to give plenty of language practice to all. With the early positive response we are receiving, we are confident the program will be filled. Deposits received after we fill the program will be placed on a waiting list.
- Register by completing and signing the Registration form and the Agreement (last 3 pages). Return via US Mail (To Sue McClam, 2727 Duncan St., Columbia, SC 29205). The deposit can be paid by check and mailed along with your registration and agreement forms. Contact Sue for other payment options
- Registration and deposit of $300 due by August 1st, 2018
- Balance due September 1st, 2018
Cancellations and Refunds
- Cancellations received in writing (email acceptable) before August 1st will receive a full refund of the deposit.
- Cancelations after August 1st will result in the loss of $300 deposit.
- Cancellations after September 1st will not receive a refund of the deposit or balance.
We strongly recommend travel cancellation and interruption insurance for this purpose. Should a trip be cancelled on the part of your hosts, Spanish Language Institute of Cuernavaca or Huatulco Intensive Language Courses, all payments will be fully refunded.
Accommodation: Accommodation is based on single occupancy at Posada Santa Clara a small family run hotel with just 10 rooms, all with private bathroom, cable TV and air-conditioning. It is located conveniently just 15 minute walking distance to the classroom, to the beach and to town. (Free Wi-Fi is available.)
Arranging Your Airfare: PLEASE DO NOT ARRANGE OR PURCHASE YOUR AIRFARE UNTIL YOU HAVE CONFIRMATION THAT THE TRIP WILL COMPLETE WITH THE MINIMUM NUMBER OF PARTICIPANTS. WE WILL NOTIFY YOU AS SOON AS WE ARE COMPLETE. IF THE TRIP DOES NOT COMPLETE, YOU WILL RECEIVE A FULL REFUND OF YOUR DEPOSIT.
Arriving into Huatulco: We prefer that your flight arrive no later than 6:00 pm on Saturday since our Welcome Meeting takes place that evening. Delta now coordinates with Aeroméxico and American coordinates with Interjet to book you all the way through Mexico City to Huatulco.
Travel Insurance: We recommend the Travel Basic program of TravelEx for reasonable travel insurance, including medical and/or trip cancellation. This is a well-priced program that can be arranged by calling 800.228.9792, toll free from U.S. and Canada.
Travel insurance is also offered through most airlines for the duration of your trip. Make sure to read the fine print. Does it include trip cancellation, interruption, medical evacuation, medical expenses, etc.?
Physical Requirements of this Trip: Participants must be capable of a considerable amount of walking on uneven terrain and must be able to embark and disembark from smaller boat. Temperatures will vary, from high 70’s to mid-90’s (25 -35 degrees centigrade) with a chance of afternoon thunderstorms.
Doctors Available: There are several English speaking medical doctors who are available should there be an immediate medical need. Again, travel insurance is recommended to cover unforeseen emergencies.
Reminder: You can find Huatulco on the southern Pacific coast of Mexico in the state of Oaxaca. It is located 458 miles south of Mexico City and 1,553 miles south of the border town of Ciudad Juarez (that’s farther than the distance between Boston and Miami), far from the areas where violence related to drug-trafficking has drawn so much negative attention.
Please complete and sign the Registration form and the Agreement that follow (3 pages). Return via USMail (To Sue McClam, 2727 Duncan St., Columbia, SC 29205). The deposit can be paid by check and mailed along with your registration and agreement forms. Contact Sue for other payment options.
Registration for October 2018Name
Phone number and/or cellular with area code / ( )
Any special needs we should know about (dietary, health)
Level of Spanish (Beginner, Intermediate, Advanced)
Lodging choice / Private or Shared
If sharing a room, your roommate request, if any
Indicate how you heard about the trip
Briefly tell us why you are interested in this particular Special Interest Spanish Language Experience
Arriving flight information with date, arrival time with am or pm, airline, flight number and city of origin or last leg of flight. (this can be sent via email after making your flight arrangements
Emergency Contact with telephone and email / ( )
ASSUMPTION OF RISK, WAIVER OF LIAILITY, INDEMNIFICATION AND HOLD HARMLESS AGREEMENT FOR SPECIAL INTEREST SPANISH LANGUAGE EXPERIENCE SPONSORED BY HUATULCO INTENSIVE LANGUAGE COURSES AND ASLI – SPANISH LANGUAGE INSTITUTE OF CUERNAVACA
For and in consideration of the right to participate in this Special Interest Spanish Language Experience (the “Program”) sponsored by Huatulco Intensive Language Courses and ASLI- Spanish Language Institute of Cuernavaca (the “Sponsors”), I, (print first and last name) ______agree as follows:
- SPONSORS RELATIONSHIP WITH VENDORS. I understand that the Sponsors have contracted with outside agencies (the “Vendors”) to provide and/or organize housing transportation and other services during the Program for my convenience. I further understand that Vendors may have their own particular requirements and policies I must follow.
- ALTERATION OF ITINERARY OR ARRANGEMENTS. In the event it becomes necessary or advisable for the comfort or wellbeing of the participants, for any reasons whatsoever, to alter the itinerary or arrangements, such alterations may be made without penalty to the Sponsors. Additional expenses, if any, shall be borne by the participants. The Sponsors are not responsible for strikes, thefts, medical problems encountered before, during or after the trip, force majeure, failure of any means for conveyance to arrive or depart as scheduled, civil disturbances, acts of terrorism, government restrictions or regulations, discrepancies or changes in transit or hotel or other services, over which it has no control. Baggage is at participant’s risk at all times.
- ILLNESS OR ACCIDENT. In the event of illness or accident, I understand that the Sponsors will make reasonable efforts to contact the person listed under Emergency Contact, but I give my permission for emergency medical treatment as required at the discretion of the Sponsors. I am aware that while participating in this program, certain exposures to risk may be incurred. These exposures include, but are not limited to accident and/or sickness without readily available medical facilities, the forces of nature, and travel on the ground and in the air. I understand the Sponsors cannot guarantee against circumstances over which they have little or no control. I agree that upon advancement of deposit and completed/signed registration that I will be bound to the terms and conditions herein, and agree that the Sponsors will not be held responsible for accidental injury, death or other damage to anyone arising out of activities related to this trip. I understand that if I should not be able to complete the tour for any reason, that the Sponsors will not reimburse any fees, and that trip cancellation insurance is strongly advised.
- PARTICIPANT’S CODE OF CONDUCT. I acknowledge that I must adhere to the Sponsors’ Participant Code of Conduct found on the website and that failure to do so may result in removal from the program events and lodging at the participant’s expense.
- CANCELLATION. I acknowledge that cancellations received in writing (email acceptable) before the August 1st, 2018 deposit deadline will receive a full refund, cancelations after August 1st, 2018 will result in the loss of $300 deposit. The balance is due by September 1st, 2018. Cancellations after September 1st will not receive a refund of the deposit or balance.
- We strongly recommend travel cancellation and interruption insurance for this purpose. Should a trip be cancelled on the part of the Sponsors, all payments will be fully refunded.
- INSURANCE. I understand that the Sponsors are strongly recommending that I obtain appropriate health insurance coverage for the Program’s duration and valid for the location(s) I will be traveling to abroad.
- ASSUMPTION OF RISK. I acknowledge that international travel and my participation in the Program carry with them significant risks, including, but not limited to, serious bodily injury or death, and property damage, I further acknowledge that my participation in the Program is entirely voluntary and that I am assuming such risks.
- WAIVER OF LIABILITY. I hereby voluntarily release, discharge, waive and relinquish any and all actions or causes of action for personal injury, property damage, death, or loss of any kind whatsoever arising as a result of my participation in the Program. I hereby for myself, my heirs, executors, administrators and assigns, release, discharge, waive and relinquish any action or cause of action, aforesaid, which may hereafter arise for myself and for my estate, and I agree that under no circumstances will I or my heirs, executors, administrators and assigns prosecute, present any claim for personal injury, property damage, death or loss of any kind whatsoever against the Sponsors, the Sponsors’ officers, employees, agents, or representatives.
- INDEMNIFICATION AND HOLD HARMLESS. I hereby for myself, my heirs, executors, administrators and assigns, agree that in the event any claim shall be prosecuted against the Sponsors, the Sponsors’ officers, employees, agents, and representatives, I Shall hold harmless and indemnify the Sponsors, the Sponsors’ officers, employees, agents, and representatives from any and all claims or causes of action by whomever or wherever made or presented for personal injury, property damage, death, or loss of any kind whatsoever.
By signing below, I acknowledge that I am at least 18 years of age, and that I have read the foregoing assumption of risk, waiver of liability, indemnification and hold harmless agreement, fully understand its terms, and understand that I am giving up substantial rights, including the right to sue. I acknowledge that I am signing this agreement freely and voluntarily.
Signature of ParticipantDate
Print Name of Participant