Unit: Marine Ecology
Project: “Virtual Expedition” PowerPoint / Webquest Maze
Expedition Objective: To research and present a marine habitat or specific marine location.
Task: The goal of this project is to create a PowerPoint consisting of internal hyperlinks to slides within the document and links to URL’s. Internal links guide the viewer to the next question to be answered or down error pathways looping elsewhere and backward. External links provide clues to answer questions, as well as a “hidden treasure” website as a final destination once all questions are answered correctly. In accomplishing this expedition student teams will provide classmates with 10 site-specific information question and answers, becoming quiz or test worthy class notes for the unit.
NO TWO TEAMS ARE TO WORK ON THE SAME LOCATION.
Component criteria content Project will be graded based on completeness of the following criteria which
[45%] must include:
- 10 separate question slides with 4 reasonable though only 1 correct response
- 10 corresponding riddle clues for each question, preferably linked to
slides depicting images, the image itself may be a stand-alone clue
- 10 different images minimum related to the project site that are colorful and
of proper resolution, not grainy or unfocusedthat may be set as slide
background [At least 1 image displaying map of location, lat/long gridlines
- 10 web-based information hyperlinks to solve questions
- “Treasure” hyperlink that takes observer virtually to the project siteupon
successful completion of all solved clues. This may be a panorama website, 360o view, or several image slides in succession that guide the viewer along a destination route.
Informational contentInformation to present regarding your site or habitat location must include:
[45%] • Site’s ecological classification (such as intertidal zone, sandy beach, rocky shore,
estuarine-ex. salt marsh or mangrove, coral reef, surface or transition
zone or deep water or sea bottom, continental shelf or slope, tropical or polar
- Site’s producers, consumers, and predators of food web
- Indication of limited resource(s) and if partitioned or competitively excluded
interspecifically or intraspecifically
- Symbiotic relationships that exist at site (commensalism, mutualism, parasitism)
- Unique marine inhabitant exclusive to the location
[10%] / Powerpoint will be graded based on visual appeal therefore should include…
- proper font size, style, & contrast for readability
- captivating use of animations/transitions