Kingskerswell & Ipplepen Medical Practice
PPG Minutes – chaired by Brian Mackness
Wednesday 22nd February 2017Items
Welcome and Apologies
Apologies from IC, UH, & PRG
Brian thanked everyone for making him chair at the last meeting, he said this was the correct thing to do, to have a patient as the chairperson made more sense. Introductions were made by the group.
Approval of last minutes and matters arising – the minutes of the meeting held on 19th October were approved as a correct record and DM added that he has now sorted the confidentially issue that was raised.
Since the last meeting the health centre has taken on Nadine in the prescriptions team and Holly in the rota team. On the 6th March there are two apprentices starting, they will be working at both sites. Eileen who was with us for a few years has left the dispensary and Emma also from the dispensary has started her maternity leave. On the doctor front we are at capacity, all up-to-date and well-staffed.
EC asked what the criteria was for apprentice employment. Rosie explained that candidates are short listed and they attend for an interview which includes a short IT test. The apprentices are also well supported by the college. One of the apprentices has already started the course that is appropriate for the practice in Business Administration.
Health Centres Update
Ipplepen is finally back to normal, with all clinics are now where they should be.
· Currently working through the snagging list and then the build will be signed off.
· Disruptions are over and the car park is back to normal with more spaces available.
· The building has now got 2 entrances (reception and dispensary), the practice has had to rethink the processes as a result.
Winter Pressures – report on the Christmas & New Year period in primary
The pressures started the beginning of December which impacted heavily on the practice, this went on until February when the weather became milder. BM said he had heard that there were a lot more chest infections this year. Dr Roberts reported that care homes had problems and Public Health said there was an epidemic of flu but this proved incorrect after testing. AB asked if there was a drift in the flu virus this year, Dr Roberts said it was a bit early to tell yet and it hasn’t been a cold year. The practice hit targets for flu vaccines again this year, there was an increase in pharmacies giving the vaccine. Next year the flu vaccine will be quadrivalent, all based on statistics from around the world.
Update on joint working in primary care in the Newton Abbot locality
Joint working is still very much on the agenda, Rosie explained that the federation is official and she is working with the Practice Manager from Devon Square and all practices have agreed to work together on several projects.
Consultation on Community Services – Outcome and Implications for the Practice Population
The future of community hospital services that were provided have now been agreed. CG decided what changes were to be made, as a practice we won’t be affected a great deal. DM attended 4 meetings, he admires the way this was handled and said in some parts of the country hospitals were closed without prior notice. He agreed with BM that we have come out of it very well and with little change. Some felt that Ashburton & places were unfairly treated.
· LH - felt it was a bit like a done deal
· AB – at the meeting the CCG said that the beds would not be closed until things were in place in the community and some of those things were already in place.
· PK beds were being closed not just locally.
· Comments made: it was information rather than consultation, it was a consultation and ideas were sought , more beds closed than opened, cant justify keeping beds open that cost more than Torbay hospital.
· A meeting was held at Newton Abbot racecourse where the results were fed back to the public.
· CW concerned about closures, as her Mother was in a care home in Kingsteignton and was moved to Dartmouth.
· BM on a positive note changes were made, standardisation of MI unit, changes to radiology working hours. Press stories at the moment are speculation.
· BM suggests that members keep an eye out for public meetings. Implementing changes will not happen until alternatives are in place.
· DM be wary a lot of press stories which will be inaccurate.
Integrated Care Teams
Rosie explained that currently they are based in the Kingskerswell HC and that they are really busy. The team are recruiting at the moment which is easier to do in the community. Care workers are being trained to the same standard as per consultation.
Return of surplus NHS equipment (wheelchairs, crutches, etc.).
It was brought to the attention of the Newton Abbott forum that equipment was not being taken back as unhygienic. This was also highlighted on the TV by the One Show. The issue has now been resolved and it can be returned to Newton Abbot hospital.
Newton Abbot PPG – update
The Newton Abbot forum is now ‘getting moving’, David asked if anyone had anything to discuss to let him know.
Lay membership of CCG - related bodies
DM was asked and he applied but did not take it forward as when looked into it in more detail he was unsure. BM said at every stage of the process they are encouraging a lay person to take part, so if anyone is interested please feedback. EC for a lay person to understand they would have to be paid. Some do have an understanding, but in a lot of areas it would be difficult. EC said when recruiting they should say that the person needs some knowledge.
The practice has been fortunate to be awarded a pilot of eConsult, this will be launched in March. It’s a simple website, patients do not require a login, altough you will need to have an email address.
· AB – asked if Out of Hours was going to be run privately and Dr Roberts informed the group 111 are working much closer with out of hours and more effectively.
· WS praise TBH and the practice, they are both wonderful. WC and partner come from Hertfordshire and have been really impressed at how well they are looked after.
· AW had a small procedure , was called 4 times to check if all ok
Wednesday 7th June 2017
Wednesday 18th October 2017
Wednesday 21st February 2018