I understand that, as a Biology 151 student…
- I am responsible for attending all lab periods. If I know that I am going to miss a lab for a valid reason (i.e., serious illness), I must contact my Laboratory Instructor, whose email address is at least 24 hours in advance. If I do not have notice before I miss lab (i.e., car accident), I will contact my TA as soon as possible and no later than 24 hours after the missed lab. When I return to class, I must present documentation (e.g., doctor’s note) in order to get a make-up assignment. The make-up assignment will be due in one week and will not be accepted if late. I understand that only serious and unavoidable reasons for absence will be accepted. (Oversleeping, forgetting, and most non-academic “other commitments” are not acceptable excuses.)
- I acknowledge that I am solely responsible for my actions. If I decide not to turn in an assignment, not to visit the TA during office hours, or fail to seek help when necessary, I am responsible for the consequences.
- I am responsible for arriving to lab on time. If I arrive late and miss the quiz, I will not get to make it up. If I arrive late, but the quiz is still being given, I may take it but I must hand it in with everyone else. I understand that quizzes that are not handed in on time will not be graded, and will receive a zero.
- I acknowledge that it is solely my responsibility to keep all graded documents graded back to me, so that if there is ever a question about my grade in this course, I can provide all supporting documents. I will retain these documents for a minimum of one year after I have completed this course.
- I am responsible for staying throughout the entire lab period. If I leave before the class is dismissed, I will be docked points or may receive a zero for the day’s work.
- I am responsible for maintaining the order and neatness of my lab station and any equipment that my team and I use. If I or any of my team members leave a mess, I may be docked points.
- I will ask questions if I am confused or do not understand instructions.
- If I have problems with team members, I will try to work them out. If I can’t work them out, I will discuss my options with my TA. I will do this well BEFORE the assignment is due.
- If I am doing poorly in quizzes or tests, I will see my TA during office hours or I will make an appointment. It is my responsibility to seek help.
- I will not act irresponsibly during class. I will not talk while my TA is giving instructions. I will not eat or drink in class. I will not engage in horseplay. I will wear attire appropriate to working in the lab (closed-toe shoes, no clothing that is so loose-fitting that could knock glassware or equipment off the lab benches, etc.) I acknowledge that my instructor has the right to dismiss me from the laboratory if I am causing distractions or disruption (e.g., talking on cell phone, using a laptop for things other than lab materials, etc.).
- I will not cheat on quizzes or exams or plagiarize other authors. I understand that the policy of the Department of Biology is to give a grade of “F” to a student in any course in which s/he is found to be cheating or intentionally plagiarizing.
- I will come to lab prepared. I understand that I should read the laboratory exercise before coming to lab each week, and must bring a copy of the lab chapter to class each week (either hard copy or electronic are acceptable.) I understand that failure to do so may adversely affect my grade.
- I will check the Blackboard and/or my email at least 24 hours before lab class to see if any changes have been made to my assignments.
- I understand that these responsibilities may be changed or added to during the semester and that changes will be posted on Blackboard. I understand that I am responsible for keeping abreast of all such changes.