Use of the K Computer by Non-Residents
Use of the K computer by non-residents
The Foreign Exchange and Foreign Trade Act, which regulates exports and technology transfers, also applies to use of the K computer by non-residents.* RIKEN Center for Computational Science (R-CCS) supervises the use of the K computer in accordance with the Act. Consequently, project leaders must complete the checklist (Exhibit A) attached to this notice and submit it to the person in charge at RIST. (If any non-residents are included as members of your project, HPCI-ID numbers for those individuals must be entered in the checklist)
- Please note that the start date for using the K computer may be postponed or that its use may not be allowed depending on the results of the screening.
- Even when the form has been submitted with “All participants are residents” checked for Part I, if we determine that one or more of your project participants actually fall under the non-resident classification, we may ask you to submit the checklist once more. (Example: This may occur when non-Japanese exchange students who have lived in Japan for more than 6 months plan to leave Japan during summer vacation, or when the non-Japanese individuals are not directly employed by the organization with which they are affiliated.)
- During the term of the project, if the classification reported in Part I of the application changes from “All participants are residents” to “One or more of the participants are non-residents” (due to addition of new members, change of affiliation of project representative or project members, etc.), the checklist must be resubmitted for each time the status changes.
- After a checklist is submitted with “One or more of the participants are non-residents” checked, when there is a need to add additional non-resident project members, R-CCS will amend the data for Part II of the checklist and forward this information to the project representative.
* Resident/Non-resident ClassificationResident / Non-resident
Person with Japanese nationality / ①The person resides in Japan / ①The person is in a foreign country with the aim of working and staying there or;
②The person is in a foreign country and plans to stay for more than 2 years or;
③The person has already resided in a foreign country for over 2 years or;
④The person’s situation falls under items ① to ③, but the person has returned home temporarily for a period of less than 6 months.
Person without Japanese nationality / ①The person works for an employer in Japan or;
②The person has lived in Japan for 6 months or more / ① The person resides outside Japan.
Checklist for use of the K computer by non-residents
RIKEN Center for Computational Science
Name of project representative:
I．Are all the participants in your project residents of Japan? Please check one item.
□ All participants are residents. In this case, you have finished this questionnaire. Submit this form.
□ One or more of the participants are non-residents. Please go on to II and III.
II．Please write HPCI-IDs for all non-residents. (If you are a non-resident, please include your number.)
① ② ③ ④ ⑤
⑥ ⑦ ⑧ ⑨ ⑩
⑪ ⑫ ⑬ ⑭ ⑮
III． Will your project use the K computer for any of the following? Check all items that apply.1 / Development, manufacture or use of conventional weapons / □Yes □No
2 / Development, manufacture, use or storage of nuclear weapons / □Yes □No
3 / Development, manufacture, use or storage of military-use chemical substances / □Yes □No
4 / Development, manufacture, use or storage of military-use bacterial substances / □Yes □No
5 / Development, manufacture, use or storage of devices to disperse military-use chemical or biological substances / □Yes □No
6 / Development, manufacture, use or storage of rockets that can transport a payload a distance of more than 300 km / □Yes □No
7 / Development, manufacture, use or storage of unmanned aircraft that can transport a payload a distance of more than 300 km / □Yes □No
8 / Nuclear fuel or development, manufacture, use or storage of nuclear fuel / □Yes □No
9 / Nuclear fusion research / □Yes □No
10 / Development, manufacture, use or storage of nuclear plant or nuclear plant parts or devices / □Yes □No
11 / Heavy-water production / □Yes □No
12 / Processing of nuclear fuel materials / □Yes □No
13 / Reprocessing of nuclear fuel materials / □Yes □No
14 / Any of the actions listed below undertaken by a government institution in charge of military or national defense matters or for work commissioned by such a government body. (Check items that apply)
A. Development or manufacture of chemical substances
B. Development, manufacture, use or storage of microorganisms or toxins
C. Development, manufacture, use or storage of rockets or unmanned aircraft
D. Space research / □Yes □No
15 / Non-resident participants belong to a military, a military-related or an equivalent organization. / □Yes □No