TLLSC APPEAL FOR EXCEPTION TO ACADEMIC POLICY
The academic appeal process exists for students to request an exception to an academic policy or procedure in Loyola’s Teacher Preparation Program. It is the teacher candidate’s responsibility to read and understand all of the policies related to the exemption they are seeking, to submit all information in a timely manner, and to be aware of any and all deadlines that could be affected by the decision.
This form is to be used when seeking an appeal related to:
- Low GPA
- Testing policies
- Taking a class while student teaching
Appeals to register for more than 18 hours are reviewed and approved by the Dean’s Office and requires a separate form.
- Meet with the Teaching and Learning academic advisor to discuss whether the appeal process would benefit you and to present your reason(s) for filing.
- Complete the Appeal for Exception to Academic Policy Form. The completed form and unofficial transcript should be submitted to the Teaching and Learning academic advisor. The Exception to Academic Policy Form must be signed by the academic advisor who will forward it, on your behalf, to the Appeals Committee.
- Any supporting materials that you believe relevant and would like the Appeals Committee to consider should be submitted in a sealed envelope along with the completed Appeal for Exception to Academic Policy Form.
- The Appeals Committee reviews the student’s request and supporting documentation as well as university records to determine if there is sufficient basis for the granting of the appeal.
- The Appeals Committee will forward a recommendation to the Teaching and Learning Program Chair.
- Notification of the Committee’s decision will be provided by the Program Chair, via email, to your Loyola email address.
APPEAL FOR EXCEPTION TO ACADEMIC POLICYDate of Request / Last Name / First Name / Middle / LUC ID
Mailing Address City, State, Zip
I am requesting:
Provide a one or two-sentence request.
I have attached the following to this form:
☐ Current Unofficial Transcript
☐ Typed rationale for request
☐ Documentation to support request
I have read and understand all of the policies related to the exemption that I am seeking. I certify that the information provided with this appeal is complete and accurate.
Advisor has reviewed form and documentation.
Advisor Signature: ______Date:______
Please answer the following questions and attach any supporting documentation.
- Provide a clear and concise explanation of the events/circumstances that lead you to file this appeal.
- Describe the steps you have taken to resolve this situation. (If applicable)
- Describe your plans for ensuring satisfactory performance in the coming term, should your appeal be approved. What resources will you use to be successful?