Target Ovarian Cancer, Angel, Islington
Support and Engagement Assistant
9 month contract with possibility of extension, 37.5 hours per week
Target Ovarian Cancer, Angel, Islington.
This new role will sit within our Supportive Services team and will help with a wide range of Target Ovarian Cancer’s activity including our support events and focus groups for women with ovarian cancer, Ovarian Cancer Awareness Month (OCAM), distributing information and publications to health professionals and individuals affected by ovarian cancer.
This role will have to deal with a large volume of material requests for OCAM, use our database to keep track of enquiries, be comfortable talking on the phone to women with ovarian cancer - many of whom may have a recent or difficult diagnosis, and be confident in taking care of logistics such as venue, accommodation and travel bookings.
You will regularly talk to and meet with women with ovarian cancer, their family and bereaved relatives. While we offer support on how to handle calls from women with ovarian cancer, it is important you have a good phone manner and are able to engage empathetically with our supporters.
This role will be based at our office in Angel, Islington.
Summary of Duties
- To assist in the administration of Target Ovarian Cancer’s face to face support events and focus groups
- Supporting the promotion and evaluation of the events
- Taking bookings for the events, providing excellent customer care and ensuring information is provided in good time, and bookings recorded accurately on the Raisers Edge database
- Arranging couriers, organising materials to send to events
- To accurately record on the database and send welcome mail to Target Ovarian Cancer newsletter sign ups
- To be part of the first responders team within the office to answer the phone within three rings and ensure cover for annual leave, toil, lunch and meetings
- To be responsible for the promotion, distribution and recording of a high volume of publications and educational material orders
- To help promote and log supporter surveys both on and offline
- To book and coordinate Target Ovarian Cancer’s attendance at conferences and events
- To manage our database of health care professional contacts
- Other related duties as required
Skills, experiences and qualities required
You will be reliable, hard-working, confident and looking to gain experience in a health charity. You will have an excellent telephone manner. You will need to be tactful and considerate as many of our supporters you engage with will have had direct experiences of ovarian cancer.
- Demonstrated experience of event logistics/organisation
- Appropriate and professional communication skills, both in written and verbal
- Empathetic and personable - comfortable communicating with people who are recently bereaved or vulnerable
- Experience of handling multiple projects simultaneously
- Experience of supporting a team, and taking direction from more than one individual
- An understanding of the impact of cancer on women, their families and friends.
- Experience of using Content Management Systems to update websites
- Experience of using databases such as Raiser’s Edge
- Experience of creating surveys using Survey Monkey or similar software