Subjunctive/wish/if only exercises
1. It's important that she (remember) ______to take her medicine twice a day.
2. I suggest that Frank (read) ______the directions carefully before assembling the bicycle. He doesn't want the wheels to fall off while he is riding down a hill
3. Mrs. Frankenstein demanded that the heater (repair)______immediately. Her apartment was freezing.
4. It's vital that the United States (focus)______on improving its public education system. What we do now will affect our country for generations to come.
5. The monk insisted that the tourists (enter) ______the temple until they had removed their shoes.
6. I am not going to sit here and let her insult me. I demand that she immediately (apologize)______for what she just said.
7. Judy asked that we (attend) ______her graduation ceremony next week.
8. Was it really necessary that I (sit) ______there watching you the entire time you were rehearsing for the play? It was really boring watching you repeat the scenes over and over again.
9. It is important to remember that Janine (think)______very differently from you. She may not agree to the changes you have made in the organization of the company. (careful! think!)
10. It's a little difficult to find the restaurant. I propose that we all (drive)______together so that nobody gets lost along the way.
Wish - Choose the correct answer for each question.
1.) I don't understand this point of grammar. I wish I ______it better.
B would understand
C had understood
2.) It never stops raining here. I wish it ______raining.
B would stop
C had stopped
3.) I should never have said that. I wish I ______that.
A didn't say
B wouldn't say
C hadn't said
4.) I miss my friends. I wish my friends ______here right now.
B would be
C had been
5.) I speak terrible English. I wish I ______English well.
A spoke / could speak
B would speak
C had spoken
6.) I cannot sleep. The dog next door is making too much noise. I wish it ______quiet.
B would keep
C had kept
7.) This train is very slow. The earlier train was much faster. I wish I ______the earlier train.
B would catch
C had caught
8.) I didn't see the TV programme but everybody said it was excellent. I wish I ______it.
B would see
C had seen
9.) I went out in the rain and now I have a bad cold. I wish I ______out.
A didn't go
B wouldn't go
C hadn't gone
10.) This movie is terrible. I wish we ______to see another one.
B would go
C had gone
1.) He didn't pass the exam. If only he (work)_____ harder.
2.) They had that bad accident because they were careless. If only they (be) ______more careful.
3.) I like I like traveling around the world. If only I (have) ______time to realize my dream.
4.) He was running very fast when he had a heart attack. If only he (not/run) ______so fast.
5.) I am sorry I don’t know how to use the computer. If only I (know) _____ how to use it.
6.) If only there (be) _____ something she could do or say to help.
7.) If only I (study) ______harder at school.
8.) If only I (have) ______more money, I could go to the movies too.
9.) If only he (be) ____ here. He’d know what to do.
10.) If only I (say) ______that to her. She’s not speaking to me now.