Worksheet, Plants and Viruses
Iowa State University / Leader: / Delaney R.
Course: / Biol 211
Instructor: / Dr. Stewart
Date: / 10-16-2017
- Choose the statement that best describes the process of transpiration.
- The uptake of water by plant roots
- Transfer of water from terrestrial ecosystems to aquatic ecosystems
- The slow release of water from a plant by evaporation from the sun
- Transfer of energy and nutrients in plants during feeding interactions.
- Choose the answer that is NOT true. What will happen when plants are removed from a terrestrial landscape that is near a stream?
- More sediment will enter the stream following rainfall
- More water will enter the stream soon after rainfall
- Less nutrients will enter the stream soon after rainfall (why is this a consequence)
- All of the above are not true.
- Name the plant with the following life cycle: diploid sporophyte – haploid spores – germination through mitosis – haploid gametophyte – haploid eggs and flagellated sperm – fuse to produce a diploid zygote (aquatic) – mitosis – diploid sporophyte.
Seedless vascular plants (ferns, horsetails)
- Name the plant with the following life cycle: diploid sporophyte – carpel and stamens produce haploid eggs – fertilization from stamen to carpel – mitosis – zygote develops to diploid embryo – embryo is contained in a seed surrounded by fruit
Angiosperm – roses
- Define a stoma in plants.
A pore on the surface of plant leaves and green stems that allow for gas exchange.
- What killed 50 – 100 million people (3-5% of the global population) from 1918-1920?
- What was the mode of infection for the H1N1 virus?
Airborne viral particles (virions)
- Describe a “cytokine storm.”
Occurs when one’s immune system produces so many immune system cells while responding to a pathogen that bodily functions are harmed, killing the organism.
- List some factors that contributed to the spread of this virus.
World War 1: crowded conditions
Increasing world travel: exposure to new pathogens
Infection provoked a “cytokine storm” which was the overreaction of immune systems and killed healthy people
- Name a reason that contributed to how the influenza pandemic ended.
Increased immunity, improved medical care, virus mutated.
- T or F? Viruses must use a host cell and their biosynthetic machinery (ribosomes, amino acids, ATP) to reproduce.
- What are the two steps to virus reproduction?
Protein synthesis and replication of genetic material
- T or F? Viruses that have their genetic material stored as DNA are more likely to cause problems than those that store in RNA.
False. RNA is more mobile.
- How do viruses exit the host cell?
Budding or lysis
- Describe the reproductive process of lysogeny.
Virus inserts genome into host genome, and remains dormant (latency) as host cell divides, increasing the number of infected cells.