ENVIRONMENTAL ENGINEERING (BFC 32403)
SEMESTER II 2013/2014
Excursion/field trip is a feature of this project. Through the real case study, the students are capable to explain the treatment processes, recognizing and evaluating environmental problems. Thus, they are able to select and suggest an appropriate (eco-friendly and energy saving) technology taking into account specific conditions of the location. Students also can integrate theory learn from the classroom and synthesizing the environmental issues in broad and sensitive ways.
List of topics:
The case study must be chosen per group and it should be related to treatment plant agencies, environmental agencies and industries.
Following are the scope of places for your Project Works:
- Wastewater Treatment Plant (eg: IWK Taman Bukit Perdana, Kluang, Melaka, Johor Bahru, etc)
- Water Supply Treatment Plant (eg: Loji Rawatan Air Sri Gading, Parit Raja, Semberong, Semanggar, etc)
- Sanitary Landfill (eg: Southern Waste Kluang, Simpang Renggam, Seelong, Kulai, Southern Waste Melaka, etc)
- Food Processing Industry ( eg: Cocomo Sdn. Bhd., Snekku, Miaw Miaw etc)
- IKS Industry (eg: Wan Malinja Food Ind., Azhar Food Ind., etc
- Textile Industry (eg: Sincerely Dyeing, Ramatex, Southtex, Bin Bin Knitwear, etc)
- Manufacturer Industry (eg: Soon Lee Furniture, KBF Furniture etc, Kimberly Clark Sdn. Bhd., etc)
- Hazardous Waste Management (eg. Kualiti Alam Sdn. Bhd., Pantai Medivest Sdn. Bhd., etc)
- Restaurants and food court (eg: BP Mall food court, Kompleks Parit Raja, R&R, McD, KFC, Mamak, etc)
- Recycle Industry ( Southern Waste Melaka, Recycle Energy Sdn. Bhd., Pusat Perolehan Semula Sisa Pepejal Majlis Perbandaran Kajang, Muda Paper Mills, Lembah Beringin Transfer Station, etc )
You must seek the approval from the case study’s admin for the trip arrangement. You are also need to provide them with a letter from the faculty for confirmation and clarification of the project. During the trip, you are also need to aware about do’s and don’ts highlighted by the company/industry.
Group member: 5-6 members (Should be mix: gender and race)
Project Assessment (20 %):
Course Learning Outcomes (CLO) for Environmental Engineering:
- Analyze environmental disturbances and estimate the impacts of development on environment.
- Respond using appropriate environmental engineering principles to solve environmental problems.
- Demonstrate communication skill and work in group effectively to solve problems for the assigned project.
Assessment Fraction (20%)
- Report- Synthesis knowledge and analyse key findings5%
- Based on Generic skill- CLO 2 (through teamwork presentation)7.5%
- Based on Generic skill- CLO 3 (through video presentation)7.5%
Report must be 10 pages in length, single space, with 12 point font, Times New Roman.
Elements that should have in your report:
2 Case Study Description
3 Environmental issues
6 Solution and Rational/Advantages
9 Appendix: Photos of evidence
Presentation (7.5%) and Video presentation (7.5%):
The presentation will help to increase the understanding in this course by share/learn from the case study you have chosen.
Please prepare a video presentation (<10 minutes) and 5 minutes for Q&A. NO copy-paste information from google. Your presentation should be focusing on your findings at the case study.
Presentation will be starting at Week 9-Week 11 during lecture class (first 1 hour).
Please SUBMIT YOUR REPORT after the presentation.
Presentation Schedule (During first hour lecture):Presentation Week / Group
THANK YOU AND ALL THE BEST WITH YOUR PROJECT!