Product Development Lead - Atlassian Solutions
Technical Services – CSOF5
Role summary for potential applicantsAdvertised Job Title: / SAP Basis Administrator
Reference Number: / 34202
Classification: / CSOF5
Salary Range: / AU $92,591 to AU $100,199 plus up to 15.4% superannuation
Location: / Yarralumla, ACT
Tenure: / Indefinite
Relocation assistance: / Will be provided to the successful candidate if required.
Applications are open to: / Australian Citizens Only
Functional Area: / Technical Services
% Client Focus - Internal: / 100%
% Client Focus - External: / 0%
Reports to the: / SAP Services Technical Team Lead
Number of Direct Reports: / 0
Members of the CSIRO SAP Services Team are responsible for providing knowledgeable advice and assistance to staff members using SAP systems for business transactions such as Project Support, HR, Finance, HSE, etc. This requires expertise in relevant SAP functionality and a strong understanding of business operations, processes and information requirements. They also undertake system administration roles including maintenance of master data, workflow processes, security and system access requirements, auditing to ensure system integrity and system troubleshooting.
The SAP Services Team is also responsible for providing formal and ad-hoc assistance to staff members including providing appropriate organisation change management and communications as they relate to the delivery of SAP business functionality.
This position is required to support the ongoing maintenance and enhancement of the SAP Platform at CSIRO, with a strong focus on completing all daily administration tasks, performing system monitoring and coordination of production releases to support the System Lifecycle Development.
Duties and Key Result Areas:
- Provide support and maintenance with supporting CSIRO SAP platform including SAP ECC 6.0, SRM 7.02, BW 7.5, PI 7.4 and Enterprise Portal 7.4.
- Maintain SAP systems on SUSE Linux v11 and v12.
- Maintain SAP systems on SAP HANA, SAP Sybase and Oracle 12c databases.
- Utilise VMware to support ongoing operations of the SAP platform.
- Undertake SAP Basis administrator role in a BAU environment, including adhering to standard SAP procedures such as client copies, database refreshes, patching, transport management, upgrades and performance tuning of database and SAP applications.
- Provide support and maintenance with SAP upgrades, migrations, enhancement packs, SAP system copies and installations as required.
- Provide support and maintenance with Commvault for standard backup/restore procedures of SAP applications is preferable.
- Provide support and maintenance with SAP PI/PO developments and applications preferably PI/PO 7.31 or above.
- Provide support and maintenance with SAP Enterprise Portal within the CSIRO SAP Platform.
- Undertake analysis, troubleshooting and problem solving of all issues that related to the technical SAP Platform.
- Provide high quality technical documentation to support the SAP platform.
- Contribute novel ideas and approaches in support of objectives while staying abreast of emerging technologies.
- Communicate effectively and respectfully with all staff, clients and suppliers in the interests of good business practice, collaboration and enhancement of CSIRO’s reputation.
- Work as part of a multi-disciplinary, often regionally dispersed team, to prioritise and carry out tasks autonomously in support of organisational objectives.
- Work collaboratively with colleagues within your team, the business unit and across CSIRO, to reach objectives.
- As required, set-up and/or maintain effective and efficient work teams, allocate and manage resources and undertake staff performance management and career development.
- As required, choose appropriate management strategies and communication styles to maintain high levels of motivation and productivity, giving feedback for development purposes and providing support for improvement.
- Adhere to the spirit and practice of CSIRO’s Values, Health, Safety and Environment plans and policies, Diversity initiatives and Zero Harm goals.
- Other duties as directed.
Under CSIRO policy only those who meet all essential criteria can be appointed
- Security: To be eligible for this position you must hold a current Australian Security Clearance or have ability to apply.
- Communication: Excellent communication skills, both written and oral, including the ability to anticipate the interests and knowledge level of an audience and present information and feedback accordingly.
- Behaviours: A history of professional and respectful behaviours and attitudes in a collaborative environment and the ability to carry out non-routine tasks under limited direction from Senior Technical/Research staff.
- Problem Solving: Proven ability to investigate underlying issues of complex and ill-defined problems and develop appropriate responses by adapting/creating and testing alternative solutions.
- Demonstrated experience in SAP Basis administration, including experience in standard SAP procedures such as client copies, database refreshes, patching, transport management, upgrades and performance tuning of database and SAP applications.
- Demonstrated experience supporting SAP systems, preferably on SUSE Linux v11 or v12, Oracle 12c database and VMware.
- Demonstrated understanding of SAP database technologies, including SAP HANA.
- Demonstrated experience in undertaking analysis, troubleshooting and problem solving to resolve issues within a SAP Platform.
- Demonstrated experience in writing technical documentation to support an SAP Platform.
- The ability to effectively manage a number of competing priorities simultaneously, and work effectively as a member of a multi-disciplinary, regionally dispersed team.
- Integrity of Excellent Science
- Trust & Respect
- Creative Spirit
- Delivering on Commitments
- Health, Safety & Sustainability
This is a security assessed position. Applicants must be an Australian citizen, with successful candidate either holding or having the ability to obtain a Negative Vetting 1, Australian Government security clearance.
-CSIRO utilises the Australian Government Security Vetting Agency to conduct its security clearances. Further information regarding security clearances may be found at http://defence.gov.au/AGSVA/resources.asp
-To obtain an Australian Government security clearance, 10 years’ worth of background information verifiable by independent and reliable sources is required.
How to Apply
Please apply for this position online at You will need to upload your cover letter and resume/CV as one document, expressing your interest in the role and broadly addressing your suitability. Please provide sufficient relevant information to enable the selection panel to assess your suitability.
If you experience difficulties applying online call 1300 984 220 and someone will be able to assist you. Outside business hours please email:
Referees: If you do not already have the names and contact details of two previous supervisors or academic/ professional referees included in your resume/CV please add these before uploading your CV.
Contact: If after reading the selection documentation you require further information please contact:
Craig Nicholls via email: or phone: (02) 6281 8439
Please do not email your application directly to Craig Nicholls. Applications received via this method will not be considered.
Australia is founding its future on science and innovation. Its national science agency, the Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organisation (CSIRO) is a powerhouse of ideas, technologies and skills for building prosperity, growth, health and sustainability. It serves governments, industries, business and communities across the nation.
Find out more!
CSIRO Information Management & Technology (IM&T) is committed to introducing and maintaining up-to-date, quality information services in support of CSIRO’s strategic objectives. Ongoing business engagement maintains strong connections between IM&T and CSIRO’s research areas so that our services are closely aligned with CSIRO’s strategic objectives, and forms the basis for IMTs annual Operational Plans.