/ 5 / / Video Notes 2: Bye-Bye
King Louis / Full Name:______
Instructions: Answer the following questions as you watch the video. (If absent, make an appointment to get answers from the sample binder and/or find them on the class website).
Listen to Ms. Avar to complete #1-7 before continuing on the notes on your own…1) What were the “Jacobins”, the radical debating society, named after?
The former where they gathered / 2) What was Robespierre’s nickname?
3) What type of government did France become?
This means that the King was forced to share power with the revolutionaries in the ______/ 4) Louis is forced to sign law after law that diminishes the power of what? (two)
5) Where does power fully shift after Louis becomes a traitor to France, tries to escape to Austria in order to develop a foreign army, and becomes a prisoner King? / 6) What three things does Robespierre call for from the people?
Robespierre also calls for universal ______(everybody can vote) and an end to ______ in the French West Indies. / 8) After the Age of Enlightenment, Robespierre wanted to discard against all remnants of the medieval past. What does he rail against (speak out against) most passionately?
9) The guillotine was a killing machine that would
kill everybody in their death without
unnecessary suffering / “the national razor”? / 10) Upon which country does the Assembly / France declare war?
11) Robespierre doesn’t agree with the war because he believes that if Austria defeats the revolutionary army, who would reclaim the thrown in France? / 12) What happens when King Louis is officially stripped of his title?
13) Robespierre’s opinion about the death penalty changes when Louis could possibly be killed.
He supports it now because the “ of a
new republic can only start with the death of a ______” / 14) In the Assembly, Robespierre and the Jacobins are
locked in a battle with the for
control of the national government.
15) Meanwhile on the streets, ordinary citizens did not want to be like the . They wanted to be like ordinary people, the “true people” of France. They called themselves the “sancoulat “, which means:
“Those without ______” / 16) The Jacobins take control of the National Assembly. What do they change its name to?
17) D’antone, France’s Minister of Justice, motivates
people to on the frontier. / 18) What do the prisons start “bursting” with?
19) When Austria comes near Paris, D’antone fears the prisons will become hard to contain. He motivates revolutionary citizens, the “sancoulat”, to
______the people inside.
More than 1600 are left dead in a matter of days. / 20) What country starts to make fun of the French in their media and calls them “animals”?
21) The moderates want a republic & democracy, but do they want to actually kill the king? / 22) Robespierre believes that people must kill their king so the ______can win
23) In history, what has been the only penalty for treason (betrayal of the country):
Was Louis found guilty of this? / 24) Jean-Paul Marat – wanted to chop off the heads of traitors to the revolution. How many people did he NOW call to be executed in his newspaper and speeches?
25) Do all people support the radicals and their Reign of Terror? / 26) What did Charlotte Corday expect when she assassinated Marat?
27) Who did Marat become symbolic of for the radical Republic? / 28) After Louis’s death, his children were ripped away from Marie Antoinette by the radicals. What eventually happened their oldest son?
29) What happened to Marie’s beauty after the revolution?
What did she become at her trial? / 30) What was Marie’s “fate”?