Lesson 3 – Introduction to INTERNET Technology
> Home > Internet Business Associate v2.1 > IBA v2.1: Online Resources (PDF)>Click on Lesson
Answer the questions –MOVIE CLIP / “Introduction to Internet Technology” / Watch together in class, take notes?
- What is the difference between a client and a server?
DRAW (3-5) / Use shapes to illustrate and label the Client/Server model
DRAW (3-8) / Use shapes to illustrate and label the TCP/IP model
- What is the difference between a LAN and a WAN?
- How and when was the Internet invented?
- How and when was the World Wide Web created?
- What is the difference between the Internet and WWW?
- Which web browser do YOU use?
- How does a browser know how to display a web page?
- What does IP specify?
- What happens if a connection between two computers is damaged? How does data get through?
LAB 3-1: Explore the Visual History of the Web / Do as a class, Mrs. Cyr on overhead
- What six elements are necessary to connect to the Internet?
CIW Online / Course Mastery Part A / Complete for a GRADE
- What is a “protocol”?
- What is an “IP address”?
- Under IPv4, what is the IP address referred to as? What does that mean?
- How many different IP addresses are available on IPv4?
- What happened to those IPv4 addresses?
- How is IPv6 different and better than IPv4? How many IP addresses are possible with IPv6?
CIW Online / Exercise 3.2 (Yes, we skipped 3.1) / Complete for practice
3-18, 19 /
- What is the difference between HTTP and FTP?
- How many servers are used in sending an email?
- What is the difference between POP3 and IMAP?
- A newsgroup is like an email system, but everyone has access to all the messages. How is it UNLIKE an email system?
CIW Online / Exercise 3.3 / Complete for practice
- Which is better: an IP address or a domain name? WHY?
- How does a business choose a domain name?
- Who keeps track of all the domain names on the Internet?
MOVIE CLIP / “Domain Name System” / Watch together in class, take notes?
- In which direction is a domain name read? WHY?
CIW Online / Exercise 3.4 / Complete for practice
- List some examples of “top-level domains”:
3-25 / Explore / Do with Mrs. Cyr on overhead
- What makes up “the cloud”?
- What is needed to access “the cloud”? WHY?
- What is Pandora and how does it work?
MOVIE CLIP / “Look to the Clouds” / Watch together in class, take notes?
- What is cloud computing also known as?
- Compare GRID Computing to CLOUD computing: how are they similar/different?
3-28, 29 /
- List the pros and cons of cloud computing:
CIW Online / Exercise 3.5 / Complete for practice
3-29 thru 3-33 / LAB 3-3: Explore iGoogle Portal’s cloud computing capabilities / Will it work?
Worksheet / Lesson 3 Worksheet / Complete for a GRADE
CIW Online / Course Mastery Part B / Complete for a GRADE
CIW Online / Lesson 3 Quiz / Complete for a GRADE
CIW Online / IBA v2.0: Practice Exams > Objective Reviews and Quizzes / See chart for reviews by LESSON; Complete for a GRADE