Leslie A. Stevens16 Beacon Crest Drive / (Tel) 908-719-8669, (M) 908-500-9053
Basking Ridge, NJ 07920 / (E-mail)
Experienced leader, instructor in teaching graduate students online. Dynamic senior executive with track record of leading profitable businesses. Unique ability to create strategy and execute with excellence.
Associate Director, Online Delivery. School of Systems and Enterprises (SSE), Stevens Institute of Technology, Hoboken, NJ 2008 – present. Manage quality of SSE online course offerings, supporting 30 faculty and over 1000 students per year, including student course evaluations, reports and analysis, trends, improvement recommendations and consistency of materials (paper and web) for online program.
Industry Professor. SSE, Stevens Institute 2004 - present.Online instructor for graduate program, teaching fundamentals of systems engineering. Lead team of 3-4 online professors in core graduate course. Provide seminars and expertise to other faculty on integrity, plagiarism issues in online teaching.
President. IT Black Belts LLC, Liberty Corner, NJ 2000 – 2007. Lead consulting practice which solves business problems by applying appropriate technology solutions for small to medium sized businesses. Key focus: linking IT strategy to business (e.g. policy deployment, tactical plans, IT portfolio analysis, mergers and divestitures), continuity services (e.g. contingency planning, disaster recovery, information assurance planning and implementation), program management. Specific engagements:
Senior Consultant (2005-2006). (Confidential)Advisor to Senior Counsel for financial services firm.
Director, Enterprise Systems and Data Center Operations, January – December 2004.Lead Enterprise Systems and Data Center Operations Directorate during unexpected senior vacancy. Provided tier 1-3 support for over 500 systems in a 24x7 centralized IT operation using OpenVMS, AIX, Microsoft, Linux. Directed two data centers, four systems engineering teams, development lab for financial services company.
- Responsible for quietest Busy Season in years despite 80% increase in business volume.As a result, user executive said that the “key people …that made my life, and our end users experience, a success…Leslie Stevens, really played an important role in the monitoring and communications during this successful 10-K filing period.”
- Lead important Global Operations projects to deploy metrics, service level agreements, project dashboard, use of ITIL.
Senior Consultant, IT Operations Assessment Project (2003). For financial industry client with $1b revenue: assessed current IT operations in light of business strategic revenue growth plans.
- Determined 19 recommendations to mitigate near-term risks using the IT Service Capability Maturity Model. Recommended changes to IT governance and business linkage, IT planning, Data Center processes and metrics, and financials. Created outsourcing framework for project evaluation.
- Accelerated two critical programs and delivered two projects, Anti-Spam and infrastructure upgrades, on time. These were first-ever Operations projects delivered on time.
Director, Center for Global Technology Management.Stevens Institute of Technology, Hoboken, NJ, 2002 – 2004. Lead formation of new center, focusing on research and education for global technology innovation.
- Created large grant and secured funding from private foundation to examine management and communications in port security. Directed grant study involving over 60 executive experts and 10 researchers. Published study conclusions in September 2004 in 200p. paper: Securing the Port of New York and New Jersey: Network-centric Operations Applied to the Campaign against Terrorism.
- Co-authored Managing Innovation Globally: A Perspective from the Wireless Industry, published in the WSTA’s Summer 2003 issue of Ticker.
Faculty.University of Phoenix, Online, 2002 - 2003. Taught business/IT courses in online MBA program.
Leslie A. Stevens/
Network Vice President, Information Management. AT&T Network Services Division, Bedminster, NJ 1995-2000. Lead CIO capabilities supporting long distance network operations, including definition, development management and operation of over 250 systems with annual budget over $700 million. Directed organization of over 1800 people across the US, including a large union force. Ran the Information Management Quality Council.
- Beat Best-in-Class price/performance goals while running 5 mission-critical data centers and secure data network. Exceeded goals on large conversions: converted over 14,000 employees to new email system; deployed 6,000 standardized PC/workstations; deployed TCP/IP data network serving 145 Central Offices; and migrated network applications from X.25 and XNA networks to TCP/IP network.
- Received Business Achievement Award for Network Recording due to sustained contributions to business over 3 years.
- Directed successful Year 2000 program for AT&T Network elements, operations and systems. Negotiated savings of $50 million with key suppliers.
- Reduced learner-time-to-proficiency and decreased costs, through deploying technology-enabled learning (web, video and knowledge-based training) for Network Training Division. Formed Leadership Advisory Board for curriculum management and was member of the Corporate Education and Training Board.
Assistant Vice President, Financial Systems Business Unit. NCR, Dayton, OH 1993–1995. Charged with turning around and growing $500 million global business providing solutions for retail banking industry. Head of Dayton site for organization headquartered in UK. Member Financial Industry Line-of-Business leadership team.
- Ran cross-functional teams, which delivered two new solutions for Relationship Banking and redefined strategy to improve market share in Branch Automation Solutions. Moved development offshore.
- Exceeded revenue and profit objectives. Results: revenue 104%, 118%; profit 137%, 106%.
President, Advanced Decision Support Systems. AT&T Venture Corp., Holmdel, NJ 1992–1993. Headed global, multi-million dollar venture business which provided premier decision support and optimization software to the airline industry. Managed all business functions including profit/loss, cash flow and quality. Directed 75 people including Bell Laboratories employees.
- Achieved first cash positive year of seven in operation. Revenue was 110% of objective.
- Restructured and sold business creating a "win-win-win" for customers, employees and shareholders.
- Continued quality improvement programs and implemented first customer satisfaction surveys. Increased Baldrige Award score by 160 points in one year.
Director, Management Information Systems. AT&TComputer Systems, Parsippany, NJ 1990-1992. Directed information systems activities that facilitated successful NCR merger. Converted over 200,000 customer and 600,000 maintenance agreement records and payroll for 1800 employees. Managed budget of $86 million.
Division Manager, Channel Marketing. AT&TComputer Systems, Parsippany, NJ 1990. Designed sales and marketing programs for reseller channel with revenue objective of over $200 million.
Reseller Area Manager, East Area. AT&TComputer Systems, Parsippany, NJ 1989-1990. Ran top reseller sales area with $60 million revenue with territory from Maine to Florida.
Department Head, Computing Planning.Bell Laboratories, Whippany, NJ 1985–1989. Provided planning and financial operations for six Research and Development data centers nationwide. Secured Research and Development leading edge computing and data networking used by 35,000 Bell Labs employees. Led team including renowned researchers to deploy counter-measures against computer hackers resulting in an order of magnitude drop in attacks and prosecution of offenders. Leveraged situation by deploying long-term architecture and received commendations from R&D Cabinet.
District Manager, Data Systems. AT&T-IS, Parsippany, Somerset, NJ 1980–1985.
Member of Technical Staff, Systems Engineering. Bell Laboratories, Holmdel, NJ 1977–1980.
Leslie A. Stevens/
M.S. Advanced Management. PACE University, NY 1984.
M.S. Computer and Communication Science. University of Michigan, MI 1977.
B.Sc. First-Class Honors, Mathematics. University of Bristol, England, 1975.
Wall Street Technology Association.2003-Present.Member Content/Advisory Board,Higher Education Committee. Represent Stevens Institute and academia on the WSTA.
Bernards Township Schools.2005 – 2008. Elected public official on Board of Education, governing 5400 student K-12 school district with annual budget over $90 million and $54 million construction project. Chair/member Curriculum Committee, (2002–2008), member Facilities Committee (2005-2008), member Personnel Committee (2005-2007), member Negotiations Committees (2005-2007) bargaining two union contracts representing 700 employees.
Bernards Township Schools.2001 – 2004. Member K-5 Gifted and Talented Education Task Force.
Destination Imagination.2001 – 2004. Member Township Steering Committee, Team Manager.
Cancer Hope Network.1989 – 1995. Board of Trustees, Fundraising Committee.
- Hultin, J., Pennotti, M., Ullman, H. and Stevens, L. (2004) Securing the Port of New York and New Jersey: Network-centric Operations Applied to the Campaign against Terrorism. Stevens Institute of Technologies. September 9, 2004.
- Fallah, H., Lechler, T and Stevens, L. (2003) Managing Innovation Globally: A Perspective from the Wireless Industry.Ticker(Wall Street Technology Association). Summer 2003 issue.
- Interviewed by New Jersey Network Technology television for Port Security report research.
- Radio panelist for Stevens Institute radio show Back to School: Executives in Academia.
- Published articles in AT&T News to describe Year 2000 program for the AT&T Network.
- Interviewed for Computer Reseller News.
- Produced and deployed It’s Your Job computer security video.
- Wrote numerous computer security articles for Bell Laboratories News.
- Interviewed by Time, Canada MIS Review on computer security issues.
- Received Business Achievement Award for Network Recording due to sustained contributions to business over three years. Accomplished through tight system/operations linkage to business goals and continued quality and cost improvements.
- Received Software Excellence Award for Call Detail Recording Management.
- Nominated for Women in AT&T (WATT) Executive Management Recognition Award for work as sponsor championing women’s issues.
16 Beacon Crest Drive * Basking Ridge, NJ 07920 * Tel: 908-719-8669 * E-mail: