The basics of electing leaders are on attributes of qualities of committed and capable leaders.
Capable leaders have the following attitudes and qualities;
Acumen - the ability to understand deeply and judge wisely
Courage to perform what is required by the members
Determination, energy and dynamism (power to act and achieve goals)
Fairness and honesty, openness
Humility (not pride, able to admit where one has gone wrong)
Integrity, (dignity not promiscuity)
Strong (not lending passively without guidance or dictating)
Trustworthy because leaders are often responsible for large amounts of money.
OTHER IMPORTANT ATTRIBUTES
Communication skills and meeting skills
Identifying needs and choosing priorities
Analysing problems with members
Supervision and co-ordination
Knowledge of the Constitution, procedures
- Unfair Voting Practices
- Leaders not answerable to members to their Patrons/Sponsors/Masters
- Discourages people in participating in future elections
- Lack of
- Communication skills
- Conflict Resolution
- Enterprise development
- No training programmes
Lack of shares/collective leadership - conflicting statements
- Leaders interested in own business
- Distorted priorities, for example expensive parties at the expense of educational seminars for members, abundant beer but serious shortages of water or basic medicines
Corrupt Leaders - become affluent in the shortest possible time. Gangsterism
- Abuse of one's position/power (ZAA) e.g.
- Lack of trust in the Leader by members
- Irresponsible bahaviour
- Showing favouritism to friends and relatives
Destructive power struggles
- Dismissals of members or leaders
- Think/live for the day and forget about the future
- These breed weak leaders and passive members - institutions cannot realise goals.
- Institutional capacity building and consolidation - firm foundation.
THE WAY FORWARD
One ingredient for producing capable and committed leadership is to apply the concept of the three V's namely;
VISION:The blue print of what our aspirations/intentions are. This is
our mental picture of what we want to achieve.
VENTURE:These are the tools of analysis and construction. The
Practical steps towards the attainment of the VISION. This
Is the firm foundation. Sustenance and continuity,
VICTORY:The final and blossoming of our efforts in meeting the
Challenges, changes and conflicts, fruition of our efforts.
A Sense of Decency
(circumstances when it is proper to be ashamed)
- Before your parents, be ashamed of immoral behaviour
- Before a judge, be ashamed of criminal
- Before a friend, be ashamed of dishonesty,
- Be ashamed of breaking a promise
- Be ashamed of staring at another man's wife
- Be ashamed of betraying secrets
- Before your members, be ashamed of failing to deliver the goods.
Don't ask advice of anyone who doesn't trust you and don't give advice to anyone who is jealous of you.
How do you ask a coward about war?
How do you ask a stingy person about gratitude?
How do you ask a cruel person about kindness?
How do you ask a lazy person about work?
If you try to be honest, you can be, and it will improve your character as handsome clothing improves your appearance.