Kelowna Community Advisory Board Minutes

Kelowna Community Advisory Board Minutes

Kelowna Community Advisory Board on Homelessness Minutes
DATE: January 21,2016
Chair: Randy Benson (Avril Paice)
Minutes Recorder: Mia Burgess, COF and Wayne, ESDC
P = Present, A = Absent, R = Regrets
R / Chair / Randy Benson / Kelowna Gospel Mission
P / Vice Chair / Avril Paice / Student
Rehabilitation / vacant / vacant
R / Housing / Shelter / Liz Talbott / NOW Canada
Provincial Government / Youth / vacant / vacant
R / Aboriginal / Cam Martin / Ki-Low-Na Friendship Centre
P / Education / Phil Bond / UBC Okanagan
P / Provincial Government / John Yarschenko / Interior Health Authority
R / Mental Health/Housing / Mike Gawliuk / Canadian Mental Health Association
R / Faith / Don Richmond / Evangel Church
Community / Funder / vacant / United Way
R / Corrections / Tracey Davidson / Kelowna Parole
P / Front Line Youth / Diane Entwistle / Okanagan Boys & Girls Clubs
P / Volunteerism / Ellen Boelcke / Kelowna Community Resources
R / Provincial Government / Housing / Nanette Drobot / BC Housing
P / Municipal Government / Louise Roberts / City of Kelowna
Non-Voting Members:
R / Community Entity/Foundation / Funder / Cheryl Miller / Central Okanagan Foundation
P / Community Entity/Foundation / Funder / Mia Burgess / Central Okanagan Foundation
P / Federal Government / Wayne Ackerman / Service Canada
R / Federal Government / Lisa McHaffie / Service Canada
P / Provincial Government/Youth / David Hentschel / Ministry of Children & Family Development
P / Aboriginal Engagement Coordinator / Sarah Martin / Central Okanagan Foundation
P / PiT Count Coordinator / Paul Sharp / Central Okanagan Foundation


  • CAB-H Members, MP Stephen Fuhr

Meeting called to order at10:10 am

1. Welcome to new members and guests and Introductions – Avril Paice
During round table introductions John Yarschenko announced he will be starting a new role with Interior Health and will be stepping down as a CAB-H member.
2. Approval of January 21, 2016 Agenda and November 12, 2015 Minutes– Avril Paice / Motion to approve agenda: Phil
Seconded: Diane
December, 2015 minutes- Wayne noted the following correction was required on Page 5: All Project Review Committee Members voted, to transfer the Aboriginal Housing (change Housing to Homelessness) funding from Priority 1 to Priority 2 and awarded the full amount, $37, 510 to Ki-Low-Na Friendship Society. / John motioned to approve the December minutes incorporating the noted edit.Motion seconded by Louise.
3. Agenda item added: Youth Service Provider Leadership Group-Diane Entwistle
Diane provided a summary of the Youth Service Provider Leadership Group which formed in November, 2014.
The group was initiated to allow youth serving organizations to develop connections and address youth homelessness. The group is inclusive of any youth serving organization, regardless of where / how the organization is funded.
The group has met four times since first convening and is modeled after a similar group in Kamloops. The Youth Service Provider Leadership Group is focused on collective impact and aims to prevent and end youth homelessness.
3.CE update-Mia Burgess , Point-in-Time Count -Paul Sharp and Sarah Martin
Housing snapshot update: Mia provided the CAB-H with the final copy of the Housing Snapshot.
Mapping update: Mia advised that a partnership has been formed between Okanagan College, University of British Columbia-Okanagan, Central Okanagan Foundation and the United Way of the Central and South Okanagan, for the purposes of creating a Housing Services Map. The map will be a real-time, accessible and searchable database that documents housing and shelter services for the homeless in Kelowna.
The project involves a case study on the informational exchange and mechanism for capacity building between municipal government (City of Kelowna) and homelessness stakeholders and non-profits/charities that provide housing and related services to the homeless through the use of a web-based mapping application (Geoweb). Using Geoweb technology developed in the Spatial Information for Community Engagement (SPiCE) Lab at UBC Okanagan, the proposed application will function as an accessible and searchable spatial database that documents housing and shelter services for the homeless in Kelowna.
Kerry Rempel (Okanagan College), Jon Corbett (UBC-O), Shelley Cook (PHD student) willpresent an update on the service mapping progress to CAB-H in March.
Report on CAB-H goals and direction:In February, 2015 the CAB-H formed a sub-committee to identify goals for the future direction of the CAB-H. The CAB-H identified four action items. Mia provided a progress update regarding these items.
Action items identified and accepted by the CAB-H and progress updates:
Develop a Funding and Service Delivery Map
  • The housing snapshot: Completion date- January, 2016
  • Service mapping partnership project has been formed for the purpose of creating a real-time, accessible and searchable database that documents housing and shelter services for the homeless in Kelowna. Completion date -ongoing, no completion date set yet
Improve public communication and education
  • The housing snapshot will be sent out to members and added to the COF website
  • The dissemination of the results of the 2016 Point-in-Time (homelessness) count undertaken by the Central Okanagan FoundationCompletion date -March, 2016

Improve coordination and connections with stakeholders and partners
  • Revision of the CAB-H Terms of Reference to clearly define the roles and responsibilities of CAB-H sector representatives Completion date- March, 2016
  • Continued efforts of CAB-H sector representatives to exchange information with their sectors and the CAB-HCompletion date -Ongoing

Develop homelessness data, definition and facts
  • The Central Okanagan Foundation will plan, coordinate and undertake the 2016 Point-in-Time (homelessness) Count, which will provide baseline data, definitions and facts about homelessness in Kelowna Completion date-February, 2016
Point-in-Time (PiT) Countupdate by Paul Sharp and Sarah Martin:
Paul was hired by COF as the PiT Count Coordinator. Sarahwas hired by COF to serve as the Aboriginal Engagement Coordinator for the count.
The PiT Count strategy is based on HPS guidelines and a local steering committee was formed, made up CAB-H and non-CAB-H members, to assist with developing and implementing the count, which is to take place during the last week of February, 2016.
The PiT Count will capture homeless individuals and individuals at risk of homelessness on the street,and in shelters. The survey will be carried out in-person with individuals on the street and in shelters – individuals living in housing provider locations will not be interviewed. Paul will capture this data directly from the records kept by housing provider organizations.
The PiT Count survey is based on the 12 ‘core questions’ developed by the HPS.
The count will provide a picture of homelessness in the city of Kelowna and cannot provide an absolute measure, as some individuals who are homeless or at risk of homelessness (i.e. hidden homeless) are difficult or impossible to capture during a count.
The PiT Count is presently at the volunteer recruitment stage – Paul noted there has been significant interest form volunteers including UBC-O and Okanagan College students from the Medicine, Human Service Worker, Social Work, and Nursing programs.
Volunteers are also being made available from local homelessness service providers – this includes front line works who will serve in Team Lead roles during the count.
Training for volunteers will be provided including separate sessions for non- Team Lead volunteers and Team Leads. Training is required for all volunteers wishing to participate.
Individuals interested in volunteering can contact Paul at COF.
Ellen mentioned she can also link with volunteers who have experience working on the crisis line, should the need for more volunteers arise.
4.Member Recruitment-Avril Paice
Avril advised that it’s time to revise the CAB-H Terms of Reference (ToR). She suggested creating timelines around memberships.
Current seat vacancies (recent):
Provincial Government/Youth – formerly Beth Flynn, MCFD
(recommended Dave Hentschel – Guest at January meeting)
Rehabilitation – formerly Maribeth Friesen, BrainTrust Canada
(recommended Laurie Denton, BrainTrust Canada)
Community/Funder – formerly Avril Paice, United Way
(recommended Ian Gerbrandt, United Way)
New sector seats that could be created:
  • Landlord/developer
  • Police
  • Addictions treatment
  • Ministry of Social Development
  • Persons with lived homelessness experience
Mia suggested more clearly defining the roles and responsibilities of sector representatives and expectations around information sharing with sectors.
Avril - Terms of Reference:
Avril will convene a sub-committee of CAB-H members to work on updating the Terms of Reference (ToR) with a focus on membership and sector representation. An invitation to participate on the sub-committee will be sent via email. Mia will participate on the committee.
John provided additional information regarding his change in employment position with Interior Health and resignation as a CAB-H member. John commented on the history of Interior Health CAB-H membership, which previously did not include Interior Health representation from the Managerial level. John noted he has learned a lot about how the CAB-H operates /serves Kelowna and noted he will seek a replacement from Management level on his departure. John commented that CAB-H meetings are purposeful and timely and hopes they will continue in that direction.
Avril thanked John for his strong level of engagement and support provided to the CAB-H during his time as a member, the entire CAB-H echoed these comments.
Beth Flynn retired from her position with the Ministry of Children and Family Development, Dave Hentschel has been put forward by Beth as a replacement to represent MCFD on the CAB-H.
Avril previously announced her retirement and has since vacated her CAB-H seat representing the Community Funder sector. She noted that the Chair and Vice Chairs do not currently represent sectors and indicated a desire to remain on the CAB-H as Vice Chair.
Avril noted her replacement at the United Way is Ian Gerbrandt and suggested he be considered for the funder seat on the CAB-H. Ian will be invited to attend the March CAB-H meeting as a guest.
Nanette sent an email to all CAB-H members to provide an update anda response to Avril’s pre-meeting email regarding revising the CAB-H ToR.
Nanette advised via email prior to the meeting: Our weekly reporting from our shelters continues to show significant demand at all 3 sites – KGM, AG House as well as Inn from the Cold. AG is consistently over the 20 bed mark (Which is what we fund) and turning away some.KGM is routinely in the 80-90 client range per night (we fund 60). We have seen a couple nights over 100. Inn from the Cold continues to report there are at their max of 35 and turning away folks.
We have also agreed to fund a 10 bed temporary emergency shelter at the Emmanuel Church in West Kelowna. Services started January 10 and will go until end of March. Contact there is Andy Hawkes if you require additional information. I can provide contact information if necessary.
In terms of the VAT pilot project, VAT`s are being conducted with CMHA, JHS and KGM. We are working on some process adaptations to attempt to streamline referral and intake processes for those applicants for supportive housing. If anyone would like any further information, they can connect with me.
Nanette further advised: I noted in Avril`s information for this CAB meeting on the outcome of the purpose of the CAB-H was to understand and articulate the true picture of homelessness in the community, by identifying where there is need and advising and making recommendations on what needs to be done. One of the ways I see that being possible is if the group as a collective has a good understanding about what is happening around the homelessness services that are currently happening in Kelowna.I would hope that updates such as this can be a regular agenda item.
The CAB-H discussed sector updates. John shared that he hopes the meetings can stay focused. He suggested that rather than having sector updates at all CAB-H meetings, perhaps the CAB-H could be selective with updates, updating the CAB-H only with pertinent information.
Mia asked the members how we would go about ensuring CAB-H is receiving pertinent updates?
Wayne commented that CAB-H members should know what is relevant and valuable to share in meetings and should do so accordingly.
Louise suggested that members can contact the CAB-H EXEC with suggestions for sector representative to pre-submit topics for discussion, so the EXEC could screen for appropriateness.
Information sharing is part of the roles and responsibilities will be addressed during the revision of the ToR. / Louise motioned to accept the nomination of Dave as a CAB-H member and Ellen seconded the motion.
6. Adjournment – Avril Meeting adjourned at 11:19 am
Thursday, March 17, 2016
10:00 am- 12:00 pm
Okanagan Boys and Girls Clubs: 1633 Richter St