Keeeeep Walking!: Strictly Event Offers Advice for Manx Telecom Parish Walkers
Keeeeep walking!: ‘Strictly’ event offers advice for Manx Telecom Parish Walkers
Expert advice on how to prepare for this year’s Manx Telecom Parish Walk is on offer at the annual ‘Strictly Parish’ event on Tuesday February 27th. At this time of year many walkers are starting to train in earnest for the big day on June 23rd, and the evening allows anyone to get tips from a panel of coaches, physios and experienced walkers who answer questions from the audience. Strictly Parish has grown in popularity over the last few years and is now an annual fixture in the countdown to the big day. As always, it is being held at Keyll Darree Education and Training Centre near to Noble’s Hospital. Doors open at 5.30pm for a 6pm start. Entry is free, and tea, coffee and biscuits will be served. The event will last around an hour and a half.
On the expert panel will be:
- Liam Parker: 2017 Manx Telecom Parish Walk winner with five previous finishes in the event.
- Adam Killip: Has finished the Parish Walk six times, and End-To-End walk eight times.
- Teri Waddington: For many years Teri supported her husband Jock (who won the race four years in a row from 2008 to 2011) during the Parish Walk. In 2015, Jock supported Teri as she completed the full 85-mile course.
- Bal Jandu: A relative novice to the event, he made it to Peel in the 2016 and 2017.
- Roger Davies: He runs his own fitness business, and is an experienced long-distance race walker and runner. He has finished the Parish Walk five times, and in 2017 completed 10 marathons in 10 consecutive days, averaging 4hrs 12mins for each one.
Ray Cox, Manx Telecom Parish Walk Race Director will also be at the evening. He said:
“Strictly Parish provides an opportunity to find out about training, nutrition, footwear, and to get tips from the experts on tackling the biggest walking challenge on the Island. Advice given by the expert panel is aimed at all abilities with the focus very much on providing tips which are useful for the majority of participants who are aiming to achieve personal goals, and especially those taking part for the first time.”
If you haven’t yet entered this year’s Manx Telecom Parish Walk there’s still time to sign up and receive a discount on the full entry fee. All entries must be made online at – sign up before March 31st and it costs just £35. The fee is £40 from April 1 until the final closing date on May 6th. The Island’s most popular mass participation sports event will take place on Saturday June 23rd and, as always, the 85-mile race starts at the NSC and finishes near the war memorial on Douglas Promenade.