Job Title: Acquisition Manager
Job title: Acquisition Manager
Department: Fundraising and Marketing
Section: Individual Giving
Reports to:Head of Individual Giving
Direct reports:Acquisition Officer
Main purpose of job
•Develop and manage the acquisition marketing programme / plans designed to acquire new financial supporters (regular givers and cash donors) and new activists / campaigners(who take a WSPA campaign action)
•Develop and manage the acquisition income and expenditure budget and associated targets.
•Manage the delivery of the acquisition marketing programme / plans to deliver against objectives and other targets. Adapt plans and reforecast budgets to reflect actual performance, opportunities and threats.
•Analyse and refine Cash Supporter Journey and work with Development and Retention Manager to monitor and deliver the Regular Giver Supporter Journey
•Set up, analyse and refine Campaigner Supporter Journey with the aim of converting new WSPA campaigners to regular giving in the first month of their journey
•Work with the Database Marketing Analyst and external partners to monitor and understand the performance metrics of acquisition investment and build this insight into the acquisition marketing programme. Track performance against targets and objectives and provide timely management information and insight.
•Work with the Development and Retention Manager to ensure the retention and development of acquired supporters in order to deepen the commitment to WSPA and the return on acquisition investment and lifetime value
Scope of job
•Planning and budgeting for the supporter acquisition programme
- Develop the plans and budgets for an acquisition programme capable of growing the supporter base and income / future net contribution
- Monitor the performance of the acquisition marketing programme and adjust plans and reforecast budgets to reflect actual performance as well as to take advantage any opportunities and minimise any threats
- Monitor the market for emerging opportunities for potential new marketing channels and products, capable of acquiring supporters and growing income / net contribution. Make a robust business case for investment in such opportunities and manage any testing.
- Input into the planning of the wider strategic remit of the Fundraising and Marketing team as well as the UK Regional Office and offices in European Region
•Implement the acquisition marketing programme to deliver objectives and performance targets within budget and to deadline
- Research, write and deliver accurate and appropriate briefs and training materials to guide external partner agencies.
- Understand the characteristics of each acquisition channel and reflect in the marketing programme / project design, performance targets and budget
- Manage the creative process and ensure all creative outputs are appropriate to the target audience, are capable of delivering marketing programme / project objectives and reflect brand values and identity.
- Ensure marketing projects benefit from the knowledge and insight of WSPA’s campaigns and programme staff and accurately reflect WSPA’s work and priorities, whilst engaging the emotions of the audience in order to solicit financial and other support.
- Deliver short or no-notice marketing projects to engage support for disaster relief emergencies amongst the public
•Supporter profile, targeting, segmentation, testing and analysis
- Work with the Database Marketing Analyst and the Development and Retention Manager to understand the supporter profile delivered by each acquisition channel and fundraising product and use this information in making decisions on targeting, proposition, creative and media
- Ensure constant learning through a testing and rollout programme, working with supplier partners and the Database Marketing Analyst to build opportunities to gain robust learning into the marketing programme
- Work with the Database Marketing Analyst and external partners to analyse results of the acquisition programme. Investigate lifetime value and attrition in order to make decisions about future marketing activity
- Test and apply the learning and innovation of other regional offices and WSPA International and share UK office learning and innovation
•Manage projects within business processes and according to good practice
- Maintain files and records for each project
- Develop and maintain appropriate project plans, budgets and schedules
- Maintain accurate results and compile post-project / post-test reviews, working with the Database Marketing Analyst to review results and key learnings
- Follow or develop relevant business processes
- Keep abreast of all relevant legislation, codes of practice and WSPA brand values and deliver all projects within these frameworks
•Manage external partner relationships
- Manage the day-to-day relationship with all suppliers including any retained marketing and media-buying agency. Aim to achieve strong, mutually beneficial working relationships that are characterised by innovation, enthusiasm and high standards of delivery.
- Educated to degree standard or equivalent business or marketing qualification.
- Considerable experience in a business-to-consumer marketing function, ideally within the voluntary sector
- Considerable experience of managing substantial and varied direct marketing projects, includingat least three of the following:
- Digital (Google ad words and display banners)
- Online display advertising
- Street fundraising (face to face or door to door)
- Press advertising, inserts and door drops
- Mobile giving (Premium and Regular Giving SMS)
- Experience of briefing and co-ordinating the creative and production processes of a direct marketing project, ideally including DRTV
- Experience of building learning opportunities into marketing projects in order to test new opportunities and advise rollout investment decisions
- Experience of strategic or significant operational planning and budgeting
- Experience of line managing a direct report at Officer/ Executive level.
Skills and attributes
- A strategic thinker able to deliver effective marketing strategy and tactics
- A self-starter, able to identify, research and build financial projections for exploring new opportunities and marketing channels
- Decisive, with the ability to make clear recommendations based on evidence. Able to negotiate with others and gain agreement.
- Highly numerate; fluent in the use of standard direct marketing calculations and measures of performance
- Excellent oral and written communication skills with the ability to write, evaluate and proof engaging, audience-appropriate copy
- Able to plan, manage and evaluate multiple marketing projects. Excellent project management and time management skills. Superb attention to detail.
- A team player, able to work with and support others and deliver to agreed standards. A positive, solution-focused approach to work.
- Passionate about bringing about a world where animal cruelty ends and animal welfare matters and able to convey this passion to acquire supporters.
Note to applicants: Your supporting statement should respond to each numbered point of the person specification with a paragraph detailing how you meet the criteria.
Updated: Sept 2013