How to play a digital piano for beginners
Digital Pianos are ideal options for learner as well as expert pianists. These instruments are known for their portability, cost-effectiveness and advance features that you may find missing with an acoustic piano. Many innovative digital pianos are now accessible that are appointed with impressive sound effects, song recording system, touch sensitive keys and other options and at the same time they offer you feel of playing a grand piano with hammer action weighted keys. There may be some different in styles with different brands and models of pianos however the basics of using or learning them remains same.
- Know your instrument: Even if you are not starting to use a piano, this rule applies to you too. In order to play any instrument or use any tool, the first and most important requirement is to know your instrument or tool. As a piano learner/player, you must have some basic knowledge of your digital piano.
- Understand the pattern: You must know all the keys in the keyboard of your piano and should understand the pattern that they follow. Each digital piano follows a certain pattern with black and white set of keys.
- Play an octave: Octave is a term used to identify a group of eight notes such as B to B or C to C etc. Learn to play octaves and learn about different kind of scales.
- Keep an eye on intervals: Timings and intervals are really important when you are a beginner and with time your fingers will get used to of it. You must know where your fingers are moving on piano and must remain focused.
- Practice hands dynamics: Try to use different hands over your piano.
- Learn chords: Playing chords will be difficult in the beginning but with practice you will master on them soon.
- Get yourself an experienced trainer: When choosing a piano teacher, remember that he must have enough amounts of experience and knowledge to teach you all the fundamentals of this instrument.
- Start learning by listening: When you listen to a recorded song try to play it simultaneously. Soon by playing you will be able to memorize keys to play. You can take note to song twice or more before starting to play it and can break it into smaller two or more parts. Many of the pianos now offer an on Screen guide for fingers and this feature proves really beneficial for playing songs accurately. You can even learn some melodies and play them.
- Change style and tones: You must not restrain yourself on a particular style and should change tones during practices and performances.
- Enjoy playing: When you enjoy what you are playing and get familiar with it by playing it multiple times, your fingers will automatically press correct keys.
- Be expressive: Expressions play an important role in playing music and it enhances effectiveness of your performance. Play among your family and friends without any hesitation or nervousness. They are the best ones to practice with as they will give you true suggestions. Take criticisms as suggestions for improvements.
- Practice more: You must practice every day with interest for around 20-25 minutes. Practice on different chords and scales. Download some new songs online for practices and locate their music sheet. You will get a number of different songs both simple and complex ones. Choose according to your level of expertise. Do not over stress yourself by opting for more complex tones when you are still to master at basics.
- Gradually increase speed: Once you have mastered at one level of speed/tempo, slowly increase levels. Give a level some time as your hands will take some time to get used to of that speed.
- Headphones: Digital pianos have this feature that you can connect a headphone when you wish to play alone. Even if you are surrounded by people, you can enjoy practicing all alone.
- Record: Another advantage that even a low priced piano will offer is that you can record songs in it. You can record your own practice, listen it back and identify mistakes/places where you can make improvements.
Some tips for beginners
- Keep patience and don’t be frustrated. You must keep on trying and you will be able to play well.
- Practice is the key.
- Keep a firm belief in yourself.
- Everybody makes mistakes but main point is to learn from them.
- Improve your timings and tones by practicing with rhythms available in your piano.
- Take piano lessons if possible as they will prove more effective. It is always better to have suggestions and basic knowledge from professionals. Listen to your instructor and learn from him. However it is not necessary and you may consult books and videos too.
- Accept criticism and improve yourself in those areas where you are lacking.
- You cannot become a pro piano player in a day. These things need time and practice.
- Never think it is too late to start learning.
This page only serves as a guideline to aid you in beginning to play a digital piano however for all technical knowledge and tactics of playing piano can be learned from a professional piano player. Following these steps and tips will enable you to give your piano training a boom start from where you can reach the sky of success with dedication and continuous honest efforts.