Grade 4: Unit OA.C.5, Generate & Analyze Patterns
Lesson Seed: Pattern Matching Game (Lesson seeds are ideas for the domain/cluster/standard that can be used to build a lesson. Lesson Seeds are not meant to be all-inclusive, nor are they substitutes for instruction.)Domain: 4.OA. Operations and Algebraic Thinking
Cluster: 4.OA.C. Generate and Analyze Patterns
Standard(s): 4.OA.C.5 Generate a number or shape pattern that follows a given rule. Identify apparent features of the pattern that were not explicit in the rule itself. For example, given the rule “Ad 3” and the starting number 1, generate terms in the resulting sequence and observe that the terms appear to alternate between odd and even numbers. Explain informally why the numbers will continue to alternate in this way.
Purpose/Big Idea: Students create patterns, write a rule for their pattern and then play a pattern matching game with their classmates.
· Blank Paper (two sheets for each student)
· Crayons or markers and pencils
· Manipulatives (if needed for hands-on patterns)
· Distribute two sheets of blank paper to each student.
· Allow time for students to create a pattern on one piece of pattern and write the rule for the pattern on the other sheet of paper.
· Collect all patterns and clues.
· Mix up the pattern.
· Mix up the clues.
· Lay out patterns and clues facedown on the floor in a ‘Memory Game’ layout.
· Have students take turns turning over two papers at a time trying to match the pattern to the clue.
· As you play, allow time for students to discuss the strategies they used to figure out the matches.
· How do you know you have matched the pattern with its clue?
· What strategy helped you figure out the match?
· Did you find any patterns that were the same?
July 30, 2013 Page 1 of 1