FRANCES KELSEY SECONDARY “Week at a Glance”
Week of November 7th
Suggested Activities To Do Throughout this Week:
“Interviews” – interview a few of your advisees each day to get progress updates and find out how they are doing
Theme of the week (Please discuss in Advisor throughout the week as you see fit)
Every year on November 11, Canadians pause in a silent moment of remembrance for the men and women who have served, and continue to serve our country during times of war, conflict and peace. We honour those who fought for Canada in the First World War (1914-1918), the Second World War (1939-1945), and the Korean War (1950-1953), as well as those who have served since then. More than 2.3 million Canadians have served our country in this way, and more than 118,000 have died. They gave their lives and their futures so that we may live in peace. #RememberThemFor more information, please visit
A reminder that this is a FORMAL assembly. Students are not to wear hats and are to show their most respectful behavior (including keeping electronic devices off and put away). As well, please recognize student/guest presentation at this event with silent reflection rather than applaus.
How it works: Each shoebox is filled by Canadians with hygiene items, school supplies, and toys and is given to children regardless of gender, race or religion.
History: Operation Christmas Child was started in 1990. To date, Operation Christmas Child has collected and distributed over 100 million shoebox gifts worldwide. In 2014, Canadians donated more than 700,474 Operation Christmas Child shoeboxes for hurting children around the world.
In 2014, shoeboxes were distributed in Uraguay, El Salvador, Guatemala, Sierra, Leone, Guinea Bissau, Venezuela, Iraq, Equatorial Guinea, Costa Rica, Guinea, Haiti, Nicaragua, Chile (including Easter Island), Senegal, and Ukraine.
- The grad sign up website is now open. Grads can go to: to sign up.
- Blood donations today at the Mill Bay Community Hall
- Alister McGregor, MP for Cowichan-Malahat-Langford will be visiting the school in B block today in Room 126. All senior students (including SS11, Civics/Law 11/12 and History 12) are welcome to meet with our MP for a presentation and a question-answer session.
- Grad Council meeting at lunch in the Library
- Junior Girls Volleyball team is hosting their last game against Lake Cowichan at Kelsey after school
- Yearbook photographers will be taking Advisor group photos today during W block
- Grade 8 Victoria Trip
- Dry Grad Meeting at 7:00
- Meeting at lunch in Room 120 for grade 11/12 students who want to play on the Whaler’s hockey team
- Any grade 12’s interested in participating in poetry reading during blocks D/H (Tues. & Wed.) see Mrs. Parker or Mr. Heath
- Staff Meeting 3:15-5:15
- PAC Meeting 7:00 p.m.
- Poetry Reading in blocks D & H for grade 12’s
- Remembrance Day Assembly 10:30 a.m.
- School not in session
Career Centre News
- UVIC Gustavson School of Business Bachelor of Commerce program information session on November 18th at UVIC.
- Dual College credit Art course.
- House of Commons Page Program
- Encounters with Canada Program
**Go to the Career Centre for more information
- Mr. van der Linden would like to see the following students in the Career Centre on Monday please:
Trenton Baslee, Brooklyn Mitchell, Jesse Robinson, Cooper Gee
Kelsey Kafe: Grilled cheese with ham 2.50, twice baked potato 1.00, Caesar salad 3.50, wraps 3.50, chicken Caesar wrap 4.50