EXTRA HOURS APPLICATIONFORM
IO Graduate Students
Students who receive any type of financial support from USF and who wish to take on additional employment such that the total will exceed 20 hours per week for any period of time must obtain written permission from their Advisor, Area Director,Chair of the Graduate Program Committee, and (in some circumstances) Office of Graduate Studies before taking on the additional work. Such employment includes both short- and longer-term jobs, hourly and salaried jobs, jobs both inside USF and outside in the community and at other institutions, and psychology and non-psychology positions.
The aim of this policy is to protect time for graduate student research, maintain the fair distribution of department resources for as many graduate students as possible, and make certain that our undergraduate students receive the quality education they deserve. Note the following departmental policies:
- The Psychology Department will not approve assignments involving more than 29 hours per week (.73 FTE).
- Students seeking to work more than 20 hours by obtaining an assignment outside the USF system must complete this form and obtain permission from their major professor explaining how the additional work will affect their progress toward their degree and benefit their graduate study and future employment. If the major professor approves, it should then be submitted to the IO Area Director.The student may accept the assignment if both parties approve.
•Students seeking to work more than 20 hours outside of Psychology, but within the USF system, must (1) complete this form and obtain permission from their major professor, explaining how the additional work will affect their progress toward their degree and benefit their graduate study and future employment. If the major professor approves, it should then be submitted to the IO Area Director.If both parties approve the request, the student must (2) have the supervisor for the additional hours send a letter of request, with justification for an appointment above .50 FTE, to the Associate Chair of Psychology. The letter should provide justification for the assignment. (3) The Associate Chair will forward the letter to the Office of Graduate Studies for review and notify the student of the decision.
Please emailyour completed application to the IO Area Director after Approval by Your Major Professor
Year in Program:
Paid departmental assistantship that overlaps with this requested work:
1. Please indicate where you arein terms of completing program requirements (e.g. thesis defended, comps completed) and yourstanding in the program (e.g., probation):
2. Describe the job for which approval is sought (organization, location, tasks and responsibilities, work to be done):
3. Indicate the number of hours per week for which approval is sought:
4. Indicate the time period for which approval is sought:
5. Explain how this opportunity is consistent withyour professional goals, research directions, and the values of the IOprogram:
6. Explain how you will keep this work from interfering with your current progress and research as well as the quality of your teaching (if you have a USF teaching appointment):
Endorsement byMajor Professor: ______(Major Professor Signature) Date: ______
Endorsement byIO Area Director: ______(Area Director Signature) Date: ______
(If this work takes you above 20 hours of paid work through USF, get the following)
Endorsement by Associate Chair: ______(Associate Chair Signature)Date: ______