Job Description: Learning Supporter (LS)
Responsible To: HouseCoordinator (Lead LS)
Overall Purpose of the Job
Provide the people who use the able2achieve services with a high standard of support and care that recognises and encourages choice, respect and active participation. The LS shall maintain the privacy, dignity, self-worth and compliance with every individuals care plan.
Outline of Responsibilities and Duties
- To promote person centred support by working effectively as part of a key-working team to meet the needs of the people we support. This must encourage individual rights and independence whilst creating opportunities to develop daily living skills.
- The LS shall read, implement, review and maintain the individual support plans.The LS shall help individuals identify their needs, aspirations and support them to achieve their goals.
- To ensure the physical, emotional and cultural well being of all individuals is actively promoted in accordance with their care plan.
- To work actively to maintain contacts and enable individuals to take part in community activities.
- To actively liaise with individuals’ families and friends in a way that promotes and encourages open communication and feedback.
- To liaise actively and professionally with Professionals (Doctors, Nurses etc) in the lives of people we support.
- To support individual’s to identify how they want to spend their money and support them to do so if necessary, and in line with their budgetary restraints.
- To enable the people we support to access the community which may include holidays, outings and appointments.
Communicating and Sharing Information with Others
- To work effectively as a team member and actively promote teamwork and team building which involves taking part in hand-overs and contributing to agenda/discussions at staff meetings.
- To establish and maintain positive and effective relationships with family members and actively liaise with individuals’ families and friends in a way that promotes and encourages open communication and feedback.
- To ensure that the appropriate and accurate records are kept in respect of finances, incidents and accidents, support plans, risk assessments, reviews and other systems in place.
- To raise any concerns regarding individuals and the service (including health and safety issues and the building itself) with the appropriate manager to support informative or social landlords
- To work within able2achieve policies and procedures in a professional manner at all times.
- To actively promote able2achieve’s equal opportunities policy with respect to both people we support and staff, whilst actively challenging discrimination accordingly.
- Maintain a high level of confidentiality with regard to individuals, able2achieve and other staff members including the use of social media sites e.g. Facebook
- Ensure that your practice meets able2achieve quality standards.
- To have a commitment to personal development including undertaking mandatory training and actively participating in regular support and supervision and appraisal, processes.
- Other tasks and duties as directed by a manager, in line with the ethos of the company and its contractual compliance
This Job description has been read and understood and I have received a copy for my own records.Signed / Dated
Signed / Dated
Senior Learning Supporter
Able 2 achieve Ltd
Job Title:Learning SupporterKnowledge
Knowledge of legislation and current issues with regard to disability and employment issues.
Knowledge of the state benefit system
Knowledge of how social enterprises operate with regard to employment practices and inclusion of people with disabilities.
Knowledge of equal opportunities in employment
Knowledge of job application techniques to assist clients
Knowledge of developing services for individuals /
Ability to develop a rapport with clients, to motivate them and provide intensive support over a period of weeks or months as appropriate
Ability to adapt to a variety of work place and work routines so as to be able to fully support the client in training and gradual integration into the work force
Good interpersonal and communication skills so as to be able to work effectively with a wide range of people e.g. service users, parents, employers and other professionals
Understand the importance of accurate and up to date record keeping
Good oral and written communication skills
The ability to work alone when required and be self-motivating
The ability it effectively resolve difficulties which clients may encounter in the workplace
Counselling and listening skills / E
Experience of working with families
Experience of working with people with a disability and/or learning disability
Experience of canvassing techniques with employers
Experience of working as part of a team
Experience of working collaboratively with other voluntary and statutory agencies
Experience or understanding of the monitoring systems and evaluation requirements of the project / D
Qualification in working with people with disabilities (e.g. training in systematic instruction City and Guilds 7037) / D
Ability to be mobile and undertake considerable travel
Ability to undertake induction/in-service training which may necessitate being away from home for short periods including overnight stays.
Willingness to work flexibly with some out of hours, early and late / E
E = Essential D = Desirable
X:\Old X Drive\Staffing\Recruitment folder\Learning Supporter Recuritment\Learning Supporter JD.doc