/ DEPARTMENT OF STUDENT AFFAIRS
STUDENT WELLNESS SERVICE
DEFERRED EXAMS (DE) APPLICATION
The role of the DSA’sStudent Wellness Service (SWS) is to provide a clinic-based therapeutic service. For clarity, the SWS staff do not have any influence in the decisions of the Deferred Examination Committee (DEC).
Students who wish to apply for the Deferred Exams (DE) are invited to attend any of the SWS service sites, the operating hours as advised below, for the duration of the exam period.
The SWS will continue to provide its regular service and students who require therapy and counselling will be assisted by making a booking for an appointment through the normal channels.
Students who are known to SWS for prior medical and psychological therapywill not need to be reassessed for purposes of the DE application and may complete the ACA44b form, completing Sections A and B only, and hand the form to the SWS practitioner for completion. These students can access the SWS main clinic, Ivan Toms Building, 28 Rhodes Ave, Mowbray as early as 3 weeks before their exam date.
Access the ACA44b - Supplementary Information for Application for the Deferred Examination
SWS Deferred Exams service hours and sites
Students may visit any of the below SWS service sites during the exam period and bring along the ACA44(b) form so that the clinician can complete the relevant sections.
- SWS – Upper Campus Clinic (UCC)
- Steve Biko Students’ Union Building (SBSU), North Lane, Upper Campus, Level 6. Consulting Rooms 6.10, 6.20 and 6.21
- Days: Monday to Friday
- Hours: 09h00 to 16h00
- SWS – Hiddingh Campus
- Commerce Building
- Consulting room 6
- Days: Monday to Thursday
- Hours: 09h00 to15h30
- SWS - Interim Satellite Service at Avenue House (SH&RL Office)
- Consulting Rooms – Ground Floor
- Nightly: 20h00 to 23h30
- Weekends: 09h00 to 18h00
Key points to note
- Students do not need to make appointments for the DE support services provided at the three service sites.
- The service is a walk-in serviceand works on a first come first served basis.
- There is no charge for the DE application service.
- Sections A and B of DE Supplementary Information Application form ACA44b needs to be completed by the student Section C by the SWS clinician.
- Form ACA44 (b) will be given to the student immediately.
- Students who are known to SWS for prior medical and psychological therapywill not need to be reassessed for purposes of the DE application and may complete the ACA44b form, completing Sections A and B only, and hand the form to the SWS practitioner for completion. These students can access the SWS main clinic, Ivan Toms Building, 28 Rhodes Ave, Mowbray as early as 3 weeks before their exam date
- Students who are new to SWSand who are applying for the DE, must visit any of the DE service sites listed above for a clinical assessment, and for completion of the ACA44b form.
Limited transport assistance for the service offered at night
- A limited transport service is only available to those students using the Deferred Exam service at Avenue House. This service is available from 20h00 to24h00 midnight, during the exam period.
- Collection and Drop Off Points will be at UCT Residence shuttle stops including, the Upper Campus North and South shuttle stops.
- Contact details to request the limited shuttle service - Mr Amien 083592 6813.
09May 2018 Page 1 of 2 ACA44b Help