Anterior Cervical Disc Arthroplasty
Pain medication will be prescribed at the time of discharge if applicable.
Do not take non-steroidal anti-inflammatories (ie: ibuprofen, Naprosyn, Aleve or similar products) as these medications inhibit the fusion process.
· Keep wound clean and dry
· Do not shower until your bandage is removed
· Remove your bandage on the 3rd post-operative day…72 hours after surgery.
(ie: if your surgery was Monday, remove the bandage on Thursday morning.)
· Leave steri strips on your wound until they begin to fall off and then remove them.
· Do not soak your wound in water (no bathing or swimming).
· No lifting, bending or exertion
· No sexual activity
· No driving
· No smoking
· You will be advised whether or not you must wear a hard or soft collar after your procedure.
Call our office if…
· There are signs of a wound infection –redness, swelling, tenderness, drainage, temperature of 101.5 degrees F, or chills
· Increased pain
· Questions, concerns
Diagnostic Studies Prior to Next Appointment:
· If diagnostic tests are required you will be advised and scripts will be provided.
Post –Operative Follow- Up Appointments
· Your first post -operative appointment was likely scheduled for you. The first post-operative appointment should be scheduled two weeks after your surgery. If you do not have a scheduled post-op visit, please call our office at (716) 631-3555 ext 311 to schedule one.
· Post-Operative Physical Therapy is recommended. The first visit can be scheduled 3-4 weeks after surgery. Anticipate one or two visits per week with an average of 10-12 post-op visits following your surgery though this can vary pending work demands and lifestyle.
For true emergencies during business hours please call (716) 631-3555 ext “0”. On weekdays after 4:00pm or on weekends and holidays, please call our answering service at (716) 879-0165 and they will contact our on call medical staff.
Brain and Spine Center 400 International Drive Williamsville, NY 14221
Tel: 716-631-3555 Fax: 716-631-9525