American Revolution Review
- List the causes of the American Revolution in chronological order.
1767-Townshend Act (Repealed 1770)
1773-Boston Tea Party
- What is the main purpose of government according to the Declaration of Independence?
Protect the rights of individuals
- Identify and describe the key figures of the American Revolution.
- Define unalienable rights.
“Life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness”…the God-given rights
- What was the purpose of the Proclamation Line of 1763?
It was to avoid conflicts between American colonist and Native Americans
- Describe the term “consent of the governed”.
“No taxation without representation”…they did not think it was fair that they would taxed without having representation in Great Britain.
- Who wrote “Common Sense” and what was its purpose?
Thomas Paine wrote “Common Sense” to encourage independence from England.
- Explain the historical significance of the Stamp Act.
The British taxed any official paper. They were so opposed to it, that they acted out against it.
- Create a T-chart explaining the advantages and disadvantages of mercantilism.
Advantages of Mercantilism--England buys raw goods for cheap and sells manufactured good at high prices; told the colonies they couldn’t trade with anyone else.
Disadvantages of Mercantilism--they bought American colonies raw goods very cheap; Britain sold manufactured goods back to colonists at very high prices.
- List the historical ideas and their contributors to the Declaration of Independence.
John Locke-social contract theory
Thomas Paine-“Common Sense”
- Evaluate the importance of the Battle of Yorktown to the American Revolution.
Last major battle of the American Revolution
- Tell why the Battle of Saratoga is classified as the turning point of the American Revolution.
British lost the Battle of Saratoga, and then French became allies with Americans. French send military to help America.
- Describe the significance of Lexington and Concord to the American Revolution.
Lexington-“shot heard ‘round the world”
Concord-Patriots fired upon and sent the British fleeing; many casualties
- Identify the important figures at the Second Continental Congress and summarize their accomplishments.
Thomas Jefferson-wrote the Declaration of Independence
John Hancock-signed the D.O.I. in large script so the king could see it without his glasses; He was the president of the 2nd Continental Congress.
- Compare and contrast the two Treaties of Paris.
Treaty of Paris 1763—Ended the French and Indian War; Actions of British led to the American Revolutional War
Treaty of Paris 1783-officially declared America independent of Britain; set boundaries.
- Identify America’s first naval hero.
John Paul Jones
- Define the term era.
A segment of time with certain characteristics. The American Revolutionary Era
- List and explain the four parts of the Intolerable Acts.
- Boston Harbor closed until Boston paid for the ruined tea.
- A new Quartering Act-required colonists to house British soldiers.
- Massachusett’s charter was cancelled.
- Royal officials accused of crimes were sent to Britain for friendly trial.
- How did the French and Indian War contribute to the American Revolution.
The British charged the colonist with taxes to help pay off war debt.