American Idol 2019 Top 6 Power List: Rank The Contestants
05/04/2019 mj santilli American Idol 70 Comments
l-r – Alejandro Aranda, Jeremiah Lloyd Harmon, Wade Cota, Laine Hardy, Laci Kaye Booth, Madison Vandenburg
The American Idol 2019 Top 6 take the stage LIVE for your votes on Sunday (May 5). The singers will perform songs based on two themes–Woodstock, and Inspirational Showstoppers. Former American Idolcontestant Lauren Daigle will mentor the contestants’ showstopper performances. Once again, Idol will air live across all time zones. Voting during the episode will determine which two singers to eliminate at the end of the show. However, for the last time this season, the judges–Lionel Richie, Katy Perry and Luke Bryan–have the option to save one contestant from elimination.
The live coast to coast format is controversial. Is it fair to rush viewers through a live vote? I like the format. If American Idol is down to one show a week, the current format is the best way to go. Remember in prior seasons when Ryan Seacrest declared a a contestant safe just before they hit the stage? It made for nerve-wracked performances. Airing the show live across all time zones while America watches and votes is exciting! What the show SHOULD do, however, and it seems like a no brainer–is to schedule guest performances at the end of the show. For instance, this week’s guest singer, Gabby Barrett, should perform after all the contestants finish. That gives viewers at least 10 minutes to vote.
There is a good chance the judges won’t use their save this season. I get the feeling they are protecting a very short list of singers. The judges won’t use it on Wade or Madison or maybe even Jeremiah. Speaking of Wade–this is the week I’ve moved him up on my list. I hope I am wrong.
6. Madison VanDenburg – Madison has a tremendous instrument, but she’s not quite mature enough to really dig into a song, emotionally. She has a tendency to smile her way through a performance, even as she’s hitting those incredible high notes. Back in the old days, a longer season may have facilitated a breakthrough for a singer like Madison. But as it is, I think she’ll be in the bottom this week. The audience is not connecting.
5. Jeremiah Lloyd Harmon – I know! Jeremiah could be a shock boot this week. We’re at the Top 6 and the competition is fierce. Laine, Laci and Alejandro are more popular than he is. And Wade has people. HE HAS PEOPLE. There is a chance the judges will save Jeremiah if he lands in the bottom. But if they don’t, I won’t be shocked.
4. Wade Cota – Wade has people ya’ll. What is his appeal? His raspy voice isn’t for everybody. But think Leon Russell, Tom Waits (he was virtually unlistenable in the 80s) or Joe Cocker. Some folks like that sort of thing. Wade is a throwback to the 70s. And he’s relatable in an ordinary-Joe kind of way. It’s totally possible he survives another week, even if he delivers another mediocre performance.
3. Alejandro Aranda – Alejandro has people too! Although it’s worth pointing out that he has the most Instagram followers of all the remaining contestants, social media numbers don’t necessarily correlate to voting success. He seemed to be phoning it in last week. Does he even want to compete anymore? Still, I don’t think it matters. Alejandro is popular enough that he will likely make it to the Top 4. But I don’t think he’ll win.
2. Laci Kaye Booth – Laci delivered a beautiful rendition of Queen’s “Love of My Life” last week. If she keeps it up, there could be a countrified Top 2, with Laine Hardy, reminiscent of American Idol season 10 when country singers Lauren Alaina and Scotty McCreery were runner-up and winner respectively.
1. Laine Hardy – Laine has held the pole position on my power lists for the last couple of weeks. The young Louisiana swamp singer is a polished, charismatic performer who knows how to play the Idol game. And he’s playing it well, mixing up his song selections and adapting songs to his his style, no matter the theme. He knows who he is as an artist and delivers with confidence. He is going to win.
Favorite Top 6 Contestant
- Laine Hardy 35.97%
- Laci Kaye Booth 19.89%
- Jeremiah Lloyd Harmon 18.96%
- Alejandro Aranda 13.29%
- Madison VanDenburg 9.85%
- Wade Cota 2.04%
American Idol 2019 Favorite Top 8 Queen Performance
- Laine Hardy – Fat Bottomed Girls 33.31%
- Jeremiah Lloyd Harmon – Who Wants to Live Forever 22.1%
- Laci Kaye Booth – Love of My Life 19.32%
- Alejandro Aranda – Under Pressure 9.86%
- Madison VanDenburg – The Show Must Go On 9.46%
- Walker Burroughs – Crazy Little Thing Called Love 2.78%
- Alyssa Raghu – Somebody to Love 1.67%
- Wade Cota – We Are the Champions 1.5%
Favorite Top 8 Duet
- Laci Kaye Booth & Laine Hardy – Jackson from Walk the Line 53.51%
- Jeremiah Lloyd Harmon & Madison VanDenburg – A Million Dreams from The Greatest Showman 32.95%
- Alejandro Aranda & Walker Burroughs – Mrs. Robinson from The Graduate 9.61%
- Alyssa Raghu & Wade Cota – Ain’t No Mountain High Enough from Guardians of the Galaxy 3.93%
Which Eliminated Contestant Was Robbed?
- Nobody Was Robbed 44.75%
- Walker Burroughs 35.42%
- Alyssa Raghu 14.1%
- Both Were Robbed 5.73%