Expression of interest –
Aboriginal Community Liaison Officer (ACLO)
Murwillumbah - Position No 174160
Expressions of interest are invited from Department of Education employees interested in relieving for two days (Tuesday and Wednesday) each week, in the position of Aboriginal Community Liaison Officer, Murwillumbah from Tuesday 30 August to Friday 16 December 2016.
The position involves working as part of a team to support and develop partnerships and understanding between the Aboriginal community and the Department at all levels, thereby helping to improve the outcomes for Aboriginal school students.
An expression of interest addressing the six focus capabilities, of no more than two pages in length should be submitted to Wayne Anderson, Aboriginal Education and Engagement Advisor at by 4pm Friday 19 August 2016.
Statement of duties
- Contributing to and when required leading the development of consultative mechanisms to promote understanding between Aboriginal communities and the Department.
- Developing, implementing and evaluating support programs for students and communities.
- Promoting and providing support for the Aboriginal Education Consultative Group (AECG) at a local and state level through participation in local AECG activities.
- Promoting departmental policies and programs through liaison with Aboriginal communities.
- Promoting and taking a leading role in negotiating Aboriginal education curriculum development in Aboriginal communities.
- Assisting to develop awareness of and skills in Aboriginal education curriculum development in Aboriginal communities.
- Assisting to build the capacity of Aboriginal community members and departmental officers in Aboriginal education curriculum development and implementation.
- Assisting departmental staff, and when required staff from other agencies, to develop awareness of Aboriginal health issues that impact on outcomes for Aboriginal students.
- Informing senior officers on and facilitating Aboriginal community involvement in curriculum implementation and other educational initiatives including student well being programs.
- Acting as a conduit between local principals and Educational Services team staff on the views of Aboriginal communities, including the local AECG, which have relevance for the Aboriginal students in schools and the Aboriginal education programs.
NB: Aboriginality is a genuine occupational qualification and is authorised by Section 14 of the Anti-Discrimination Act, 1977.
- Knowledge of and commitment to the Departments Aboriginal Education
- Drivers Licence
The focus capabilities for this role are:Capability group / Capability name / Level
Personal Attributes / Manage Self / Foundational
Relationships / Commit to Customer Service / Intermediate
Results / Deliver Results / Intermediate
Results / Plan and Prioritise / Foundational
Business Enablers / Finance / Intermediate
Business Enablers / Procurement and Contract Management / Intermediate
For more information about Public Sector capabilities please see https://detwww.det.nsw.edu.au/lists/directoratesaz/humanresources/adminclericalst/capabilitydev/developing/guides/
Expressions of interest must be endorsed by the applicant’s current supervisor and include the names and contact details of two referees, one of whom is to be the applicant’s supervisor.
This should be recorded on the cover page to be used as below.
For further information contact Wayne Anderson on 6586 6909.
Please complete all sections of this form. This document should be signed by your principal/manager, then scanned and emailed as a pdf attachment (together with your application addressing the selection criteria) to no later than 4pm Friday 19 August 2016.Position applied for
Aboriginal Community Liaison Officer, Murwillumbah Position 174160 (0.4 FTE)
Department email / .
Department serial No
Work phone / Mobile
Contact details for two referees
Work phone / Mobile
Work phone / Mobile
Employment history (Include details of positions held and period of employment)
Endorsement of current principal/manager
I have discussed this expression of interest with the applicant and will release him/her to the Tamworth Educational Services team if he/she is successful in gaining this position.
Principal/manager signature / Date
Endorsement of applicant
Applicant signature / Date
Attach a maximum of two pages addressing the focus capabilities