December 8, 2014
You can view the entire Board of Education meeting on the district’s website:
The meetings are also played back on the district’s cable channel, Comcast channel 19, on Tuesdays and Wednesdays at 4 pm.
For a complete line-up of programming, visit:
PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE
The Pledge of Allegiance was led by students at McCollough/Unis; Lena Bawazir – 5th grade,Rania Bazzi – 5th grade.
Individual reports made at the Board of Education meeting can be found on the district’s You Tube channel:
- Technology Update
- Focus School Report – 1st Quarter
BOARD ACTION ITEMS
- Award contract to Sound Engineering, in the amount of $31,504.00, for the paging system integration at the Dearborn Heights Building.
- Award contract changes for the project(s) indicated, per Board Report 14-61, to the designated contractors for the sums indicated.
- Award contract to Fairlane Ford, in the amount of $60,850.28, for the purchase of one HVAC van for the skilled trades and one delivery van for transportation.
- Award contract changes for the project(s) indicated on Board Report 14-62 to the designated contractors for the sums indicated.
- Award contracts to Schreiber Corporation, B & B Pools, and Boston Tile for roofing, swimming pool work, and hard tile at Henry Ford, William Ford, Geer Park and Fordson Fieldhouse in accordance with Clark Construction Company.
- Approve several Policies as discussed at the November 10, 204, Board of Education meeting.
- Approve Scope of Work, to solicit proposals for an independent consultant to review administrative leadership and hiring practices and procedures.
- Approve appointment of Laura Franey to Coordinator II – Early Childhood and Great Start Readiness Program (GSRP), effective January 5, 2015.
- Approve appointment of Maylee Mosallam to Coordinator I, ELL, effective date to be determined.
- Approve appointment of Robert Attee to Principal at DuVall Elementary School, effective date to be determined.
- Approve appointment of Mariam Kobeissi to Assistant Principal at O.L. Smith Middle School, effective date to be determined.
- Approve a conditional reinstatement allowing the student to attend O.L. Smith Middle School, effective, December 9, 2014.
- Approve conditional reinstatement allowing the student to attend Fordson High School, effective December 9, 2014.
- Approve that the Dearborn Board of Education, having heard and considered the evidence in the case of an Edsel Ford High School student, shall be permanently expelled from Edsel Ford High School and the Dearborn Public School District for one school year – 180 days.
- Award contract to Sentinel, in the amount of $701,385.08, for servers and backup.
Commendations were read by Dearborn High studentIsaiah Goddard.
Commendations to Nicole Chubb, Behavior Specialist, and Staci Ollar, Occupational Therapist. The pair teamed up to present to approximately 60 classroom teachers, resource teachers, and special education support staff. Their 3-hour session provided Tier 1 and Tier 2 classroom management techniques as well as strategies and interventions that can be used in the classroom to support challenging behaviors. It was a very successful afternoon of sharing and learning new information that can benefit all students in our classrooms.
Fordson High School
Commendations to Fordson football players Hussein Kadouh and Jamil Sabbagh for receiving Associated Press All-State honors.
Dearborn High School
Commendations to Dearborn High student Jamila Nasser who, at the age of 16, is an Arab American award winning writer and journalist. The 11th grade student recently published her first book: a 670-page teen age romance novel titled “What He Never Knew.” She has been awarded by both the Michigan Interscholastic Press Association and the Asian American Journalist Association.
Commendations to the 2014 Dearborn High School girls golf team for being the first DHS girls golf team ever to win the MHSAA Girls Regional Championship as well as for being recognized as an Academic All-State team, with a team grade point average of 3.67. Special recognition to Senior Co-captains Madison Renko and Elayna Bowser. Both girls have been recognized as being among the best of Michigan's high school female golfers in 2014. In addition, Elayna was named Michigan’s Ms. Golf, the highest recognition in the state for female high school golfers. She won first place in 9 of the 12 tournaments in which she played this season. And Madison Renko was named to the 2014 All-State Team. She is one of only 13 golfers on the Division 1 team. Madison also received an individual Academic All Star Honorable Mention recognizing her academic success.
Congratulations to the team and Coaches Howard Inch and Kevin Barkoff!
Commendations to DHS Athletic Director Jeff Conway, Engineer John Faiola, and all the hard working staff at Dearborn High for their efforts to successfully host a State Semi Final High School Football game.
The Michigan High School Athletic Association sent a very complimentary letter to DHS Principal Chuck Baughman thanking the school for doing such an outstanding job.
Commendations to the students at McCollough/Unis who collected $700 for the American Cancer Society to increase cancer awareness. The fundraiser was organized by Student Council Advisor April Kincaid and the students serving on Student Council.
Michael Berry Career Center
Commendations to Health Occupations Students of America students at the Michael Berry Career Center who collected over $500 in coins for Trick or Treat for UNICEF. They also had a food drive for nonperishable food that they distributed to local needy families. Special thanks to student Asma Ghaleb who spearheaded both events.
- Donation of $3,000.00 has been offered to Michael Berry Career Center, by Square One Education Network, to be used towards building an electric vehicle for the Innovative Vehicle Design competition.
- Donation of $180.00 has been offered to River Oaks Elementary, by the Dearborn Education Foundation, to be used for a classroom My Learning Plan materials for Students Taking Ownership.
- Donation of $2,500.00 has been offered to DCMST, by the Dearborn Education Foundation, in partnership with Panasonic, to be used for STEM enrichment materials.
- Donation of $1,700.00 has been offered to Henry Ford Elementary, by the Dearborn Education Foundation, to be used for a laminator.
- Donation of $6,750.00 has been offered to Haigh Elementary School, by the Dearborn Education Foundation,in partnership with AXA, to be used for two promethean boards.
- Donation of $1,000.00 has been offered to O.L. Smith Middle School, by the Dearborn Education Foundation, to be used for life skills items for Special Education.
- Donation of $1,800.00 has been offered to Department of Instructional Services/Affective Education Foundation, to be used for the Religious Diversity Journey program.
- Donation of 120 books has been offered to Edsel Ford High School, by Mrs. Joanne Harris, to be used in the literacy department.
Samah Al Zayadi, Departmental Bilingual Teacher, effective 12/12/14
Yasmeen Alamadan, Howe, Noon Hour Supervisor, effective 11/3/14
David Holota, Fordson, Social Studies Teacher, effective 1/23/15
Mada Jaber, Maples, Elementary Teacher, effective 12/19/14
Sadrjl Jacobs, Dearborn, Custodial A, effective 10/27/14
Magdalena Kubiak, McCollough/Unis, Receptionist/Clerk, effective 11/12/14
James Mitts, Dearborn Center for Math, Science & Technology, The Heights Campus, Mathematics/Science Teacher, effective 12/19/14
Mark Babinski, Division of District Operations, Painter, Skilled B, 33 years of service, effective 1/5/15
Patricia Buoy, Haigh, Principal, 26-3/4 years of service, effective 11/30/14
Maria Domanico, River Oaks, Custodial C, 18 years of service, effective 1/5/15
Laurene Jefferson, Departmental Physical Education Teacher, 21-1/4 years of service, effective 10/31/14
Mary Pizzimenti, Dearborn, Coordinator II, Literacy, 28-1/3 years of service, effective 12/31/14
Roberta Reese, Division of District Operations, Secretary II, 26 years of service, effective 12/31/14
Adriana Tarnavsky, Dearborn, Spanish Teacher, 23-1/2 years of service, effective 1/22/15
LEAVE OF ABSENCE
Ahud Al-Asady, Paraprofessional/Bilingual, effective 11/27/14
Carol Barr, Fordson, Credit Recovery Teacher, effective 1/26/15
Fatmi Chahine, Departmental Bilingual Teacher, effective 12/15/14
Lina Hammoud, Paraprofessional/Instructional, effective 11/2/14
Hana Mahmoud, Stout, Mathematics Teacher, effective 12/3/14
Najwa Youssef, Departmental Bilingual Teacher, effective 1/5/15
Laura Allore, Paraprofessional/Instructional, effective 12/9/14
Kurt Berkholz, Departmental Bilingual Teacher, effective 12/15/14
Florjettia Bledsoe, Bus Driver (Part-Time), Division of District Operations, effective 12/9/14
Carmen Bronson, Noon Hour Supervisor, Howard, effective 12/9/14
Shelby Devine, Departmental Vocal Music Teacher, effective 12/11/14
Latonya Eason, Bus Driver (Part-Time), Division of District Operations, effective 12/9/14
Hanan Fawaz, Receptionist/Clerk (Bilingual), McCollough/Unis, effective 12/9/14
Charissa Los, Departmental Vocal Music Teacher, effective 12/11/14
Layna Maraachli, Departmental Bilingual Teacher, effective 11/7/14
Kelly Mathis, Noon Hour Supervisor, DuVall, effective 12/9/14
Joyce Murray, Departmental Physical Educational Teacher, effective 1/5/15
Michele Petersen, Bus Attendant (Part-Time), Division of District Operations, effective 12/9/14
Abeer Savage, Science/Mathematics Teacher, Smith, effective 12/1/14
Jeanette Schafer, Departmental Bilingual Teacher, effective 11/24/14
Tamara Schemke, Departmental Vocal Music Teacher, effective 12/11/14
Leon Vietinghoff, Physical Education/Computer Applications Teacher, Stout, effective 11/21/14
Lisa Watson, Food Service Assistant, Fordson, effective 12/9/14
REAPPOINTMENT TO NON-INSTRUCTIONAL STAFF
Wanda Abdallah, Maples, Paraprofessional/Instructional, effective 12/1/14
Donna Brefeld, Cotter/Nowlin, Paraprofessional/Instructional, effective 11/24/14
Julie Davis, Lindbergh, Paraprofessional/Instructional, effective 12/10/14
Madalyn Jaafar, Oakman, Paraprofessional/Instructional, effective 12/4/14
Barbara Korpi, Whitmore-Bolles, Paraprofessional/Instructional, effective 12/9/14
Diana Kuch, Cotter, Paraprofessional/Instructional, effective 12/9/14
Sandra Pearson, Dearborn, Paraprofessional/Instructional, effective 11/18/14
CHANGE IN CLASSIFICATION
Sana Hamade, from Maples, Paraprofessional/Instructional (Bilingual), to Parent Outreach Mentor, Salina Elementary (Part-Time), Non-Classified/Non-Instructional, effective 12/1/14
Laurie Kurth, from Henry Ford Early College, Receptionist/Clerk, to Secretary II (Media), River Oaks/Fordson, effective 1/5/15
Miron Kurylyuk, from Engineer B, Bryant, to Engineer A, The Heights Campus, effective 12/9/14
Jesse Merrick, from Engineer C, McDonald, to Engineer B, Bryant, effective 12/9/14
EXPRESSION OF SYMPATHY
Charlene Maness, Food Service Manager, Fordson, deceased 11/18/14
Individual discussion items made at the Board of Education meeting can be found on the district’s You Tube channel:
December 15, 2014, HFC Meeting, 7:00 p.m., at Henry Ford College
January 12, 2015, P-12 Board of Educational Organizational Meeting at 6:45 p.m., P-12 Meeting at 7:00 p.m.
January 20, 2015, (Tuesday) HFC Meeting, 7:00 p.m., at Henry Ford College