Woodcraft Folk Scottish Committee Meeting

Woodcraft Folk Scottish Committee Meeting

Woodcraft Folk Scottish Committee Meeting

Sunday 14th May 2017, 10-12am, Glasgow

Present: Kathleen, Claire S, Laura, Elaine, Rosie

In attendance: Clare R

Apologies: Susie, Debs

Minutes of previous meeting – 30th March Teleconference

These minutes were approved. Proposer – Claire S, Seconder – Kathleen

Matters arising from the Previous Minutes

Mina still to be officially thanked for her participation on the Scottish Committee last year (Kathleen to action).

Scottish Officer Maternity Cover

Fleur handed over to Clare on 11th April for the Maternity Cover. The committee are delighted to note a welcometo the world to her new baby daughter who arrived safely on 3rd May. Congratulations to Fleur and family.

Scottish Officers report

See separate report by Clare Ritchie, Scottish Officer (Maternity Cover). The committee thanked Clare for this update and noted that the opportunity at Hallglen Primary School re: Pupil Equity Funding is very positive.

In addition to her report Clare noted the reduction in numbers of children and young people participating in Woodcraft Folk in Scotland between 2016 and 2017 (reduction of 66 children/young people in total). We noted that registration figures are a snapshot. (It is also possible that the reduction in numbers is a result of under reporting by groups due to financial pressures and the per head element of group registration fees). Clare to contact districts with most significant reductions to explore and to offer support. Current NVOSF application being developed by Debs aims to offer training/support to volunteers on outreach and inclusion.

Report on Glasgow project to engage with refugees and asylum seekers

See separate report by Alex Wilde – Project Worker. The committee noted their thanks to Alex for the report and for her work. The difficulty in recruiting families, caused by a number of factors, was acknowledged.

Treasurer’s report

See separate report by Susie, Treasurer. The committee noted their thanks to Susie and the value of the budget forecast. There were no questions on the report.

General Council feedback

The committee thanked Claire for her report (see below) shared by Email prior to the meeting

As well as usual formal minutes, matters and finances we looked at the following:

  • Reviewed staffing and volunteer support policies
  • Discussion with Debs on how we are doing with Safeguarding as an organisation and looking at closing gaps in our processes. Some positive suggestions to support groups and districts e.g. sending a top tips guide for camp planners with things like gas safety
  • Strategic planning for 2018-2025 - we were looking at developing engagement tools to get feedback from members across all ages on the future of Woodcraft Folk. We shall, along with other committees be asked for our input. We shall also get the opportunity (if we attend any events/camps big enough) to play a new wide game developed to get our young people’s input
  • Folk assembly - looked at programme, logistics and current bookings. Please continue to promote to our members
  • Refugee week - a member had contacted GC asking that we promote this across groups. I suggested we send the session info we are gathering for our Scottish groups UK wide.

The following action points were agreed in relation to refugee sessions:

  • Laura to email session plans to Clare R
  • Clare R to email session plans to group contacts
  • Clare R to also share links to BBC2 animated films about refugee children.
  • Rosie to share on Facebook page.

Planning for 11th June event in Edinburgh

All aspects of this event were discussed and agreed on. The following actions were agreed:

  • Kathleen to sign paperwork for booking of venue: Methodist Church Centre, Nicolson Square, Edinburgh and change timing from 12-4pm to 11am-4pm.
  • Kathleen to draft the programme for promoting to members by email and facebook
  • Kathleen also to draft a more detailed programme for Scottish Committee with details of who is taking responsibility for each part of programme.
  • Clare R to set up a link for bookings on Brown Paper Tickets website
  • Clare R to email information out to all members once agreed – by the end of Mon 22nd May.
  • Rosie to share information on Facebook
  • All to share details re: the part of the programme they are responsible for by Fri 2nd June, for approval by everyone else.

Refugee Festival of Scotland

Alex Wilde, Project Worker had submitted a funding application to the Scottish Refugee Council for £450 for a Woodcraft Folk event to be held in North Kelvin Meadow on the weekend of 24th/25th June. This has been refused by SRC because Woodcraft Folk had not identified a contribution from our own funds to the event ( the need for this was not identified on the application). Also SRC felt that the facilitation fees were too high. Alex is going back to SRC to discuss options and some funding may still be available. Alex thinks she can contribute £150 from her Children in Need project budget.

The Scottish Committee felt that it was really important for a Woodcraft Folk event to go ahead as part of this festival and discussed various ideas to help make this happen.

Action: Clare to email Alex to pass on enthusiasm of Scottish Committee for this event, committee suggestions on how to progress it, and offer of support.

Scottish Participation in Folk Assembly 23rd – 25th June

Letters have been emailed to all Venturer and Pioneer group contacts along with letters for individual Pioneers and Venturers to promote the opportunity to attend.

Clare R to Email group contacts again – Mon 22nd May -with a reminder about the opportunity. Also to highlight that there are sufficient leaders identified to go with the group already, so no need to identify leaders (though some more can possibly be accommodated). Deadline for letting Claire S know young people want to attend to be Fri 26th May.

Claire S to co-ordinate a group booking and to book an appropriate size of minibus after Fri 26th May.

Summer Camp, 30th July – 5th Aug, Whitby

Email went to all members last week – first invite to book into camp. Booking deadline stated as Wed 31st May.

Action: Clare R to send out invite again Tues 30th May as a reminder and to state booking deadline extended to Fri 2nd June.

Rosie to promote camp on Facebook.

Woodcraft Folk UK AGM – Sat 23rd Sept, Birmingham (Motions deadline 29 Jun)

No motions identified by Scottish Committee. Scottish Committee hope that motions might be identified by our young people during the weekend at Folk Assembly (24th-25th June). These could then be submitted in time for 29th and it would be great if young people from Scotland could have the opportunity of presenting a motion.

Date of next meeting

At summer camp (July 30th – Aug 5th).