Student Letter of Recommendation Questionnaire
When you apply to colleges and many scholarships, you will usually be expected to submit an application, a personal statement and/or essay, a transcript and letters of recommendation. Although the first three items will provide a great deal of self-reported information and numerical data, only letters of recommendation can provide complete strangers with a “snapshot” of the unique attributes you have shown others. The first step is deciding who you would like to write your letter of recommendation. Be mindful of deadlines. Teachers should be given at least a two week notice (some have earlier deadlines). Remember, the more information you provide, the more “stuff” they will be able to write about you. You may attach additional pages or type this questionnaire. This is no time for modesty! In addition to your resume, please complete this packet and return it to Ms. Terraferma by June 15th.
Your Full Legal Name: ______
OSIS # ______Email Address: ______
Anticipated College Major: ______
- Why do you want to go to college? What do you hope to achieve? If you have plans other than attending college, what do they include?
- List three occupations you are considering & explain what it is about the occupation that interests you & why you might be successful in that career.
- What are you most proud of about yourself?
- List three adjectives that describe how you see yourself. Give examples to explain why you chose these adjectives:
- How have you handled new situations, challenges, setbacks, and overcome obstacles?
- What event or activity (positive or negative) has had the most impact on your life? How has it shaped you as a person?
- How would you describe your role within your family?
- Describe one major accomplishment from your high school experience.
- What has been your favorite class that you’ve taken during high school? Why?
- What is your weakest subject? What steps have you taken to improve your academics?
- What topics or subjects do you or have you studied outside the classroom?
- What college courses, internships, summer programs, etc. have you taken?
- Do you have any special circumstances which have impacted your academic performance (parent deceased, unemployed, ill, personal issues, health, etc.)?
- What club/team/performance/extracurricular service have you participated in and what were your responsibilities? (provide dates participated and/or hours spent in each activity).
- What leadership qualities do you believe you have? Have you ever held a leadership position (i.e. president, vice president, team captain, boss, etc) in any of the activities listed above?
- What are your current activities or interests outside of school?
- Do you work or have you had an internship? If yes, what have you learned at your job that you school couldn’t have taught you?
- What would you most like your counselor/teacher to highlight in his/her letter of recommendation? Is there anything else you would like them to know?
Please read the statements below carefully and rate yourself accordingly. Be honest & realistic.Ratings: / Below Average / Average / Good / Excellent / Outstanding
Ability to organize & use time wisely / □ / □ / □ / □ / □
Self-Confidence / □ / □ / □ / □ / □
Desire to learn new things / □ / □ / □ / □ / □
Willingness to take risks / □ / □ / □ / □ / □
Ability to get along with others / □ / □ / □ / □ / □
Willingness to work hard / □ / □ / □ / □ / □
Imagination/creativity / □ / □ / □ / □ / □
Leadership / □ / □ / □ / □ / □
Motivation / □ / □ / □ / □ / □
Concern for others / □ / □ / □ / □ / □
Emotional maturity / □ / □ / □ / □ / □
Reaction to setbacks / □ / □ / □ / □ / □
Ability to understand new concepts / □ / □ / □ / □ / □
Self-discipline / □ / □ / □ / □ / □
Energy / □ / □ / □ / □ / □
*Please turn in this completed questionnaire along with a copy of your resume to Ms. Terraferma. Your resume should address the following areas: ( Provide dates and specific details.
- Paid/Volunteer Work Experience (where, how long, your responsibilities).
- School Activities (clubs, sports, music, leadership, etc.).
- Community/International/church/other services contributions.
- Awards received