WHAP READING QUESTIONS
CHAPTERS 34, 35 AND 36
CHAPTER THIRTY FOUR QUESTIONS
1. Discuss similarities in the preconditions of revolution in China and Vietnam.
2. In what ways did Mao’s concept of a peasant revolution lead to specific shifts in domestic policy during his rule?
3. In what ways have the Communist regimes of Vietnam and China retained ties to the traditional cultures of the region?
4. How did the experience of decolonization in Vietnam differ from that of most third world nations?
CHAPTER THIRTY-FIVE & THIRTY-SIX QUESTIONS
1. Read the primary source on page 848-9. Why did China decide to repress political democracy in 1989?
2. Describe the successes and failures of the "Reagan Doctrine" of the 1980s.
3. Which nation-states experienced or experimented with the spread of democracy between 1980-2004? Evaluate their success.
4. The authors postulate several potential causal factors impacting civilization in the future, including population growth, the exhaustion of frontiers, and technological advances associated with the “postindustrial world”. Evaluate the impact such factors are likely to have on the future.