Unit 2 Chemistry Review Sheet
Unit 2 Chemistry Review Sheet
Learning Target: Identify subatomic particles of an atom and how they are arranged
- What three particles make up an atom?
- What are the charges on each?
- Where can each be found in the atom?
- How many electrons make up a stable arrangement?
Learning Target: Describe the difference between ions and atoms
- How are an atom and its ion similar? How are they different?
- How does an atom get a positive charge? A negative charge?
- What is a positive ion called? What is a negative ion called?
Learning Target: Compare the types of bonding.
- What happens to electrons in a covalent bond?
- What happens to electrons in an ionic bond?
- What is meant when a molecule is said to be polar?
- Polar molecules can have what type of bonds BETWEEN molecules.
Learning Target: PH scale, how it is set up, what the numbers represent
- Explain the difference between the solute and the solvent in a solution
- What ions do acids form in water? Bases?
- What ion does the pH scale measure?
- Where are acids found on the scale? Bases?
- Describe what happens to an enzyme if it the solution pH changes.
Learning Target: Describe the functions of enzymes, & how substrate specificity works?
- What is a biological catalyst?
- What is the energy needed to start a reaction called?
- How do enzymes speed up reactions?
- Describe what is meant by a lock & key fit
- What does denatured mean? How does this affect an enzymes ability to function?
Learning Target: Explain the unique properties of water.
- Water is both adhesive and cohesive describe what is meant by these terms.
- Define capillary action? What organisms take advantage of this property?
- Explain what a heat sink is and describe what bonds must be broken to heat them.
Learning Target: Show how chemical reactions can be shown by chemical formulas.
- Be able to identify reactants and products in a chemical reaction
- Distinguish between hydrolysis and a condensation reaction.
Learning target: Explain the difference between organic and inorganic compounds
- What element is responsible for making organic compounds
- How many bonds can this element form?
- Why is it able to form this many bonds?
Learning Target: Describe general structure and function of organic molecules
- List the 4 major groups of organic molecules.
- What elements make up each group?
- What are the monomers of carbohydrates? Proteins? Nucleic acids?
- Give an example of a polymer from each of the four groups.
- Which of the four groups is used as a primary energy source?
- To which group do enzymes belong?
- Distinguish between the three groups of lipids. How are the different from each other?
- Which one makes up cell membranes.
- Distinguish between a saturated fat and an unsaturated fat
- What 3 parts make a nucleotide?
Learning Target:Cells store energy temporarily as ATP.
- Distinguish between ATP and ADP.
- How does a cell get energy from the ATP?