Arts Council England
Summary of theGrants for thearts programme
Arts Council England champions, develops and invests in artistic and cultural experiences that enrich people's lives.We support a range of activities across the arts, museums and libraries - from theatre to digital art, reading to dance, music to literature, and crafts to collections.
The Grants for the arts programmenormally distributes awards of between £1,000 and £100,000* from the National Lottery to:
- arts organisations
- other people who use the arts in their work
Grants for the arts funds time limited arts-related activities that:
- benefit people in England
- help artists and arts organisations in England to carry out their work
- six weeks for applications £15,000 and under
- 12 weeks for applications £15,001 and over
What kind of activity do we fund?
productions / exhibitions / participatory projects / events / festivals / carnivals / workshops / digital projects / artistic research and development / commissions/ participation / asset purchase / building renovation / making work / touring / residencies / professional development / international partnerships / organisation and business development / audience development
What don’t we fund?
- activities that are not arts-related
- activities that provide no potential benefit to the public, either in the short or long term
- students’ work towards their course of study
- educational establishments towards their curriculum activity
- retrospective activities, including buying goods or services, which take place or start before we would be able to decide on the application
The application form
We ask focused, directive questions relating to the four criteria, usinga set of published prompts to unpick the answers and consider applications against each of the four criteria.
- Artistic quality- the quality of the activity and its on-going effect on artistic practice
- Public engagement- how the activity increases opportunities for the public to engage in arts activities
- Finance- how realistic the activity is financially
- Management- how the activity will be managed
We will always receive more good applications than we can fundso we advise applicants to consider other sources of funding while applying to us. The overall success rate for 2013/14 was 50.4 percent (of eligible applications).
How to contact us
Phone: 0845 300 6200
Textphone: 020 7973 6564
Post: Arts Council England
Grants for the arts
PO Box 4353
Arts Council England March 2015