Suffolk County Community College s27

Suffolk County Community College s27




December 5, 2003, 1:30 p.m.

Distance Education Rooms

Members Present: Paul Basileo, Hedi BenAicha, Jeanette Bravo, Peter DiGregorio, Liz Foley, Edward Hassildine, Randolph Manning, Gary Ris, Tom Roslak

Members Absent: Robert Barta, Jodi Gaete, Faye Lourenso, Frank Parella, Claire Rubman, Michael Russo, Steven Schrier, Charles Stein, Michael Weissberg, Leslie Wieman

Representatives Jack Rice


I. Minutes

The minutes of the previous meeting held on October 10, 2003, were approved.

II. Campus Computing Council and Technology Dean Reports

A. Ammerman Campus – Paul Basileo

1. Paul is working on rolling out the wireless carts. He is trying to integrate it with active directory.

2. There are some glitches with the wireless project from Student Technology Fee – not up in the Library or the Student Center yet. The RF survey had to be bid.

3. Pete said that in the past the wireless projects didn't have to go out to bid. Paul explained that the equipment was purchased separately which may be the reason.

4. Dean Manning said we have people at the college that are trained and should be able to do it.

5. Gary asked if everyone had their list of Mac addresses in for the wireless carts. All should be in by the end of the semester.

6. Paul said he still has to put in the Mac order and it will be done shortly.

B. Eastern Campus – Ed Hassildine

1. Working on the wireless carts – tried to test it but had some problems and did not have enough time.

2. Ed said he is having a major problem with "pop up" adds on the Internet in the academic computing labs even though we already have a "pop up" add blocker. He feels the best solution to this problem would be the Windows product software which does not do anything to the configuration of the machine.

C. Western Campus – Pete DiGregorio

1. Western Campus Computing Committee met on 11/18/03.

a. They are working on updating the Technology Plan.

b. Dean Manning has come up with the creation and development of an Electronic Classroom Policy. Pete will send this out to Tom Roslak for distribution.

c. Discussed replacement cycle.

d. Web site is going to be redone.

D. Technology Dean's Report – Tom Roslak

1. Tom thinks it is a good idea for Drew to be putting Lotus Notes on the machines as they come in.

2. Since it is part of the image that Drew puts on, it will not slow down the receipt of machines. It would be too complicated to explain and too costly to have it put on by Gateway.

3. In order for us to be able to pay for Gateway orders before the machines are installed, we must have a spreadsheet listing their locations. We hope to get that completed before the machines come in.

4. Gary will get back get to the committee with a date when the new computers are supposed to be coming in.

5. Technology purchases seem to be experiencing delays in being processed through the system. We need to find a solution to get these items expedited in a more timely fashion.

III. Subcommittee Reports

A. Academic Computing Subcommittee – Ed Hassildine

1. Software Update Services

a. Allows campus ETUs to do Windows updates from central locations on campus.

b. At their meeting, the committee decided to recommend to the CCC that campus ETUs configure Software Update Services to deliver Microsoft Windows Critical Updates to reduce the need for personnel to visit each machine, increase the timeliness and thoroughness of updates, and to reduce the bandwidth used to go out to the Internet to get updates on a per-machine basis.

2. McAfee Enterprise 7.1

a. At their meeting, the committee decided to recommend to the CCC that college-wide ETUs adopt McAfee Enterprise 7.10 as the standard virus protection software to be installed on machines with a local share on a campus server set up to act as an update repository.

3. Windows Protection Software

a. Ed, Pete and Paul agree that a protection software would provide a viable solution to virus attacks, hacking, Internet Pop-ups, and slow releases of Windows Updates.

b. An RFP or a bid would have to be generated since there is currently no vendor offering such a product on contract and the price exceeds the sole source limit.

c. There are two products that have been tested, one on the East Campus and one on the Ammerman Campus. Ed will set up a demo to compare the two available products and they will make a decision on one.

d. Gary said once it is decided which package they want to go with, he will put in the paperwork and try to get it done as soon as possible.

4. Laptop Rolling Carts

a. Since they have not been fully tested, the committee recommended to the CCC that no additional mobile or non-mobile labs of laptops be purchased until the pilot program is fully tested by all campuses (at least through the Spring 2004 semester). This will give the Academic Computing Subcommittee time to assemble problems, recommend solutions, and offer constructive commentary on the implementation of laptops in a classroom setting.

b. Gary asked if the logistics were worked out on how the laptops were going to be used. Paul said that on the Ammerman Campus, they will stay in one building and be given to one academic chair or department to schedule. Ed said it would the same on the East Campus.

B. Student Technology Fee Subcommittee – Paul Basileo

1. The STF Subcommittee will be meeting before the break and Paul said he would like to discuss:

a. Getting the budget set up.

b. Work on changing the name of the STF Subcommittee to Tech Fee.

c. Give an update on purchases.

C. Training Subcommittee – Tom Roslak

1. Looked at what training already exists and is implementing a "Quick Start" training guide.

a. This program will be coordinated with Continuing Education and the Workforce Development Team. b. The "Quick Start" program will consist of an instructor that will deliver in-office training in short periods of time in such areas as Audix, Voice Mail, Outlook Calendar, E-Mail, Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access), Mainframe Services and Web Page Development, depending on departmental needs.

D. Standards Subcommittee – Jack Rice

1. The Microsoft Select Agreement is in the process of being approved by Dell.

2. Jack will send out the link to a recent article that reports on a survey of major vendors including the ones we reviewed earlier this year.

E. Networking and Services Subcommittee – Gary Ris

1. Stony Brook Visit

a. Gary reported on a meeting with Stony Brook on what they were doing with their wireless project. They are using VPN clients primarily to provide control over how the network is being accessed by laptops. We were thinking about buying a separate server to do that but we have very similar software in the server that we already have. It is just a matter of enabling that strategy. We should be ok as soon as we have access to the wireless coverage pattern so we can install the receivers and transmitters.

b. Tom suggested that we can have someone from Stony Brook act as a consultant and be paid as an adjunct faculty member (overload).

2. Timing on Wireless Installation

a. Gary will speak to Craig Harris to check on the timing of the wireless installation.

F. Policy Subcommittee – Gary Ris

1. At their meeting, they looked at the Technology Plan review and came up with some recommendations on some of the items, goals and objectives that were in that plan.

2. Gary will incorporate these into the full document and get back to everyone.

G. Planning Subcommittee – Gary Ris

1. Tracking Lab Utilization

a. We are now at a point where each lab can run a report through the sign-in sheet program in the labs to see what kind of usage we're getting. Running this report should be on the agenda for each lab.

2. Internet Connectivity

a. There was a discussion on the college's need to stay current with our Internet connectivity. Even though we increased our capacity by 120% over last year, we are no where near where we need to be. Realistically, a 100 meg pipe should be standard.

3. Strategic Plan

a. Any new or anticipated expenditures have to be tied to the Strategic Plan of the institution. Any new initiatives go to a committee and they will compare them to what is on the Strategic Plan.

b. Since the college's Technology Plan is part of the Strategic Plan, we have to have any initiatives we anticipate included in the Strategic Plan. Therefore, any items relating to connectivity have to appear in the section concerning connectivity so it will be incorporated in the document review.

IV. Old Business

A. Update of the Strategic Technology Plan review

1. 04-05 Action Items

a. Gary asked the CCC to read the revised document on the web and provide any additional comments that may have been missed or that have to be added.

b. Gary will then forward any action items to the Strategic Planning Committee.

c. The budgeting process has to be linked to the strategic planning process. A document will be forthcoming on this from Vice Presidents Schrier and Stein.

d. Since there is not a lot of discretionary budget money, we have to make a good case to justify our need for greater Internet connectivity and identify the applications, i.e.:

i. Many of the new faculty are coming to the college with expertise they want to use in their academic programs.

ii. Greater capability would enable instruction from the distance education rooms out to the Internet.

iii. Media issues.

B. "Technology for Dummies" Update – Jeanette Bravo

1. Some recommendations were made at the Planning Committee meeting and Jeanette said it should be completed by the next meeting.

V. New Business

A. Moving Computers

1. Computers should not be moved or switched around by anyone but Computer Support Services or campus ETU. 2. If this continues to be a problem, perhaps the Executive Deans can be notified to pass along the proper policy to follow when equipment needs to be moved on their campuses.

B. Replacement Computers

1. We have to start planning for the replacement cycle for next year. Budget requests have to be in within a month.

2. Will ask the Standards Committee to look into the feasibility of doing the large replacement computer order in the spring so the equipment can be installed over the summer.