Sports Medicine Physician Job Description
Sports medicine physician job description and profile
The sports medicine physician is responsible for the diagnosis of the injuries and other health problems of a sportsman. The sports physician has the duty to suggest the sportsmen a recuperation plan in times of injury. He or she needs to oversee and take care of the comprehensive health and fitness needs of a sportsman and treat him or her accordingly. The salaries scope is varied from state to state and on the basis of experience.
Sports medicine physician duties and responsibilities
The duties and responsibilities of a sports medicine physician are as follows:
- The main duty is to diagnose, treat and recuperative therapy for injuries caused during the course of play or practice.
- He or she has to make sure about the sportsman recovers quickly and gets back to playing.
- He or she has to work with the nurses, surgeons, orthopedic experts and other doctors, fitness trainers, physiotherapists and physiologists to treat the sportsman.
- He or she has the responsibility to prescribe the internal medicine as well.
- He or she has the responsibility to refer the sportsman to surgeons if there is a need of surgery.
- It is needed to recommend the proper diet to ensure the good health of the sportsman.
- He or she is responsible for the planning of the recuperative therapy.
Sports medicine physician skills and specifications
The skills and specifications needed for the job of a sports medicine physician are as follows:
- The person needs to have excellent communication skills.
- He or she should have the interpersonal skills to do the job.
- He or she should able to deal with high pressure situations.
- He or she should have the team working skills.
- A wide knowledge about different muscular-skeletal problems
- The other skills required are the excellent decision making and analysis skills.
- He or she should have a thorough and deep knowledge about cardiology, psychology, traumatology and rehabilitation medicine.
Sports medicine physician education and qualification
The education and training required to qualify as a sports medicine physician are as follows:
- The person needs to have a four year medical school degree.
- He or she should have a two to seven years of residency in hospitals catering to sports medicine.
- The other requirement is having the certification course for obtaining license to practice as a sports medicine physician.
Sports medicine salary
- The median salary for a sports medicine physician is $235,045 annually.
- The top ten percent of sports medicine physician can earn up to $329,955 and the bottom ten percent earns $117,587.