Senior Communications Officer (Marketing)
Hours: 37.5 hours per week
Location: National Office, 12 Old Street, London, EC1V 9BE
Accountable to Head of Communications
Responsible forThis post has no direct responsibility for staff, but will manage freelancers and suppliers.
One of two Senior Communications Officers reporting to the Head of Communications, this role has a particular focus on marketing, and is responsible for delivering Together’s marketing plan. The post holder will ensure timely and effective delivery of marketing materials, advice and support to all parts of the organisation, managing our marketing schedule and protocols. The Communications Team is a small team with a very broad remit, so the post holder will be expected to carry out a range of duties across the whole spectrum of communications.
Together is a well established mental health charity with around 70 projects across England. Nearly all our work is funded by statutory bodies. Together’s Communications Team is responsible for building the profile of the organisation and communicating our key messages to relevant audiences. The team’s remit includes media relations, digital communications (including the website and intranet), publications, marketing and internal communications.
Key tasks and responsibilities
- Develop and deliver Together’s marketing plan
- Write and produce high-quality marketing materials in line with Together’s brand guidelines, using the Adobe Creative Suite to create and adapt materials using our tailor made templates.
- Manage a high volume of ongoing requests for materials and other marketing support, ensuring timely and effective delivery of printed and other materials for both local projects and central teams.
- Act as guardian of Together’s brand, including our visual identity, and ensure a consistent and appropriate use of language and tone of voice across the whole organisation.
- Build relationships with service users, service managers and other staff to ensure a good understanding of marketing techniques and good engagement with Together’s marketing protocols and policy.
- Support colleagues to find creative solutions to promoting their services, including using alternatives to printed materials where appropriate.
- Act as a champion for integrated communications, providing leadership, guidance and direction to other teams so that communications plans can be implemented effectively.
- Manage freelancers and suppliers including copywriters, designers, photographers and printers.
- Oversee the production of corporate documents such as the Annual Review and Corporate Brochure
- Support the team to develop and maintain Together’s website and intranet, and assist with production of Together’s internal e-bulletin.
- Commission photography and manage the photo library.
- Evaluate the effectiveness of Together’s marketing activities and refine approaches accordingly.
- Contribute to the overall work of the Communications Team by undertaking other duties as needed.
- A confident communications professional with experience of the full range of marketing techniques, trends and developments, preferably including experience within the not-for-profit sector.
- Experience of creating and delivering effective marketing plans
- First class verbal and written communicator with excellent copywriting and editing skills.
- Experience of creating a range of online and print marketing materials, including experience of using Adobe InDesign to create materials
- Experience managing a range of suppliers, such as creative agencies, printers and freelance designers
- Able to manage multiple demands, think clearly and strategically under pressure, and meet deadlines.
- Experience of project managing publications such as annual reviews or similar.
- Ability to work autonomously, using initiative to solve problems and managing a demanding workload
- An eye for detail and knowledge of best practice and current trends in marketing design.
- Ability to make the most of limited resources and maximise the impact of communications to support specific business objectives.
- Proficient in the use of Microsoft Office word-processing, spreadsheet and presentation packages.
- Able to work effectively as part of a small team.
- A sense of humour and a sense of social justice.
- An empathy with mental health issues.
Information relating to service users must be treated in the strictest confidence and discussed only within the project with the appropriate members of staff or with named assessor/care co-ordinator.
Information relating to staff must be treated in the strictest confidence and discussed only with other senior staff or line manager.
This list is not exhaustive and amendments and additions may be required in line with future policy changes.
Equal Opportunities Statement
We acknowledge the unique contribution that all Together employees and service users can bring to the work of the projects and the organisation in terms of their culture, race, gender, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, marital status, nationality, age, religion or belief and any physical disability or history of mental health or additional problems.
All appointments and promotions are based on merit and no job applicant or employee will be treated unfairly or discriminated against. All staff have equal access to staff development.
Full details may be found in the Human Resources Policy and Procedure Manual. Any member of staff who breaches this policy may be subject of grievance and/or disciplinary procedures.
Interim Head of Communications & Fundraising
January 2009Page 1 of 4