Possible fix for memory error crashes on Win7.
(TL;DR: The bellow is a guide to potentially fixing crash issues)
(EDIT: This is a community maintained google doc of possible fixes, if this doesn't help, check out other options here. The reddit discord also has a support channel specifically for people to help others get the game running smoothly. )
A lot of people have had various crashes with error messages saying that the game engine was unable to write to or read from specific memory addresses. For Win8 and Win10 users these issues are largely fixed by a couple of windows updates (ill try to look up the KB articles again and provide theme here as well.)
Win 8 Updates
However for Win7 I have found no such solution, however, I had it suggested to me the issue may be solved by setting the Apex Legends process priority to High. This would be simple if not for Easy Anti Cheat which prevents even admins from changing process priority. Luckily this issue has been solved before with Fortnite (special thanks to Sky Status for the video below.)
I've adapted this work around for Apex Legends and after 8 hours of game time have not had any further crashes so far. Bellow are links to a registry file you can download and run on any Windows OS and have the appropriate registry entries added for you. Links are spoopy though so i will also include a raw copy of the contents of the reg file so you can copy and paste it into a .txt and then rename to .reg as well as a guide to doing the registry edit manually.
Raw Reg (copy the lines of text between the lines into a .txt file, save, then change the extension to .reg then double click)
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\r5apex.exe\PerfOptions] "CpuPriorityClass"=dword:00000003
Guide to manual registry edit. (quotes are for highlighting, do not type them)
- Open the start menu and type "regedit" this should bring up regedit.exe, open it.
- Using the side panel with drop down arrows navigate to the bellow location. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options
- Right click the "Image File Execution Options" folder, hover over "new", and select "Key", enter the name "r5apex.exe"
- Right click the "r5apex.exe" folder, hover over "new", and select "Key", enter the name "PerfOptions"
- Highlight "PerfOptions" on the left, in the white space in the right field, right click, hover over "new" and select "DWORD (32-bit) Value", Enter "CpuPriorityClass" for the name.
- Double click the new "CpuPriorityClass" DWORD you created and in the new window ensure that the Base is set to Hexadecimal, then set the Value to "3"
- Close Regedit
Final Notes: I have also been running the game in administrator mode, however i don't think that will be necessary with this fix, i will be testing later today and update.