Official Sony DS3 drivers and FF14 Setup for Windows Players
If like me, you've been using 3rd party wrappers like SCP and MotionInJoy or BetterDS3 to use your DualShock3/PlayStation 3 controllers, you'll know that sometimes the wrappers cause bluescreens and/or have choppy performance when your PC is running out of resources. I've recently updated my drivers with Sony's official DS3 drivers and things have never run more smoothly on my end.
Pros: No need to run extra software. PS3 Controller will work as DirectInput. (Gyros work and pressure sensitive buttons work)
Cons: You will still need a wrapper for XInput (Steam Big Picture) and will only be able to use your controller with a wire, no official bluetooth support yet.
Here's how to set it up:
- Step 1 - Plug your Dualshock 3 in. If you had any DS3 software prior to this moment (DS3Tool, Better DS3, MotionInJoy, ScpToolkit etc) - consult the web on removal of those (especially MotionInJoy and Better DS3), remove them and proceed to step 2.
- Step 2 - [Get PlayStation Now and install it.] ( It should ask for a permission for driver installation in the process, allow it to, and proceed to step 3. If something went wrong and it didn't happen - follow "Manual Driver Override" section instructions, and then proceed to step 3.
- Step 3 - Re-plug your Dualshock 3, go to the Control Panel -> Devices and Printers, find your Dualshock 3 there, right-click it, choose "Game Controller Settings", select your Dualshock 3 and press "Properties". You should see a testing screen, check if the buttons work. If they do, proceed to step 4. If they don't - reboot your PC, then check again. If they still don't - it's possible that your Dualshock 3 has compatibility problems with the Sony driver, and this guide won't help you.
steps 1 through 3 referenced from this [subreddit] ( should you run into trouble by step 3, follow the link and come back here after sorting it out
- Step 4 - After setting this up you have the option of plugging DS3 and setting up a Steam Big Picture wrapper to ave it read as an xbox360 controller. You don't need to do this as the DS3 controller should now be responding and will work with FF14. Start FF14 and test the controller under Configuration>Gamepad Settings>Callibration. Sometimes there is an issue with the key bindings and FF14 not allowing you to recallibrate your PlayStation3 Controller. If this happens, proceed to step 5.
- Step 5 - To fix your bindings, close your game first, navigate windows to this directory C:\Users<user>\Documents\My Games\FINAL FANTASY XIV - A Realm Reborn and open FFXIV.cfg in notepad. Find the entry for Alias and replace the bracketed numbers with 90,91,88,89,41,40,32,33,73,72,48,49,0,1,2,3,6,4,10,7,5,11,8,9 Your Alias line should look like this:
- Step 6 - Save your cfg and relaunch FF14. (Make sure you close FF14 before editing the cfg and save the cfg before launching FF14.) Your Playstation3 controller should now be running smoothly with the game. If you have any more questions just comment on this thread and I'll try my best to reply whenever I'm on. Thanks and happy gaming!