North West London Pathology Consortium
NORTH WEST LONDON PATHOLOGY CONSORTIUM
JOB DESCRIPTIONProfessional Accountability to: / Steering Group/NWL Pathology Board
Reporting to: / Managing Director for the purposes of this role and PA allocation
For Revalidation Purposes: / Medical Director at substantive Trust with input from ICHT
Hours: / 2 PAs (8 Hours) per week – this is for this role only, all other aspects of the individual’s terms and conditions will remain under existing arrangements.
Type of Contract / Appointments will be for a period of three years, subject to annual review and may be renewable at the end of the term. At the end of the appointment the successful applicant will revert to their original substantive contract.
KEY RESULT AREAS
- To represent the views of clinical staff as part of the transition
- To provide Clinical Leadership during the transition phase of the NWL Pathology modernisation programme.
- Championing the proposed service model with clinical colleagues within NWL Pathology and with the wider Trusts
- To work with the transition team implementing NWL Pathology in line with the full business case (FBC)
- To lead on the implementation of service operation models agreed within the programme.
- To consult with colleagues to of agreed thequality standards and systems for management of risk and maintenance of all relevant statutory, regulatory and quality assurance standards.
MAIN TASKS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Attend the NWL Pathology Steering Group/Shadow Board Meetings
- Engaging with internal and external clinical stakeholders and represent on the steering group the views of clinical staff
- Attend Service Operational Group meetings
- Support and drive the proposed service clinical operations model
- Meet with programme team members on a regular basis to ensure that operations and clinical aspects of the programme are harmonised.
- Ensure effective communication and engagement with clinical staff employed within NWL Pathology in key decisions and initiatives as appropriate.
- Communicating to internal and external stakeholders (e.g. CCGs, service users) on clinical issues.
- Responsiblefor setting quality targets and key performance indicators.
- Set targets to drive continuous improvement in the service across all clinical areas within the values and principles of the Owner Trusts.
- Ensure that NWL Pathology has appropriate professional clinical advice and direction to ensure it is providing clinically appropriate, safe and effective services that meet the needs and requirements of users.
- Report regularly to the NWL Pathology Shadow Board/Steering Group on clinical issues.
- Lead the Clinical Reference Group with clinical leads representing each Owner Trust in terms of those involved in delivery and users of the service. The group will be charged with providing clinical validation of the staffing and activity model defined by the Operational Group and also defining the training and research arrangements for the Target Operating Model.
- Planning for medical staff job planning process when it takes effect in April 2017.
- Provide input into the business plan and service strategies for NWL Pathology.
- Working closely with the appropriate Owner Trust leads to ensure the implementation of robust clinical governance structures and process are in place.
- Ensuring that clear arrangements are documented and agreed to define the commitment provided within NWL Pathology for the support and delivery of junior doctor training.
CLINICAL DIRECTORCriteria / Essential / Method of Assessment
KNOWLEDGE AND UNDERSTANDING /
- Understanding of the complexity and healthcare needs of a large tertiary referral healthcare/NHS provider
- Proven ability in basic or translational clinical research
- Sound knowledge of clinical governance and effective systems of medical management such as job planning, appraisal and clinical assessment
- Understanding of the academic needs of an internationally recognized university
- Evidence of continuing professional and managerial development
- Experience of leading complex change
- Considerable experience in clinical leadership roles
- Proven and significant experience and excellence in a clinical field
- Credible to medical and other clinical colleagues
- Clinically Qualified – MRCPath or FRCPath
- Employed at consultant level
- Management qualification (ideally at least diploma level) – or equivalent experience
PERSONAL SKILLS & QUALITIES /
- Good Organisational skills
- Good Team leadership skills
- Ability to communicate effectively with people at all levels and with colleagues within and external to the Consortium
- Effective motivator with strong influencing skills and personal credibility
- Ability to analyse complex issues and identify potential solutions
- Focused on delivering objectives and improvements to patient services
- Understands other functional perspectives e.g. Finance, HR
- Can take a corporate approach to key issues
- Inclusive leadership and management style
- Have honesty, integrity, and appreciation of ethical dilemmas.
- Must be able to demonstrate and model the key values of respect, care, innovation, pride and achievement
NWP Pathology Clinical Director jd Oct 16