Module NIE 2204 – Signal analysis and Control Module Leader – Dr Crinela Pislaru
Handout: Monday 7 December 2015
Hand in: Friday 15 April 2016
Weight: 50 % of the overall mark for this module
Consider an industrial control system which contains one first order element and one second order element linked in series. They are included in a closed loop with unity feedback.
The transfer function of the first order system is:
The transfer function of the second order system is:
Where T – student number from the student list
Damping ratio δ = 1 /T
Write a report of a minimum of 3000 words covering the following aspects:Nr / Task / Mark %
1 / Use MATLAB commands to examine the time domain behaviour of closed loop system.
Explain the differences between the theoretical values for step and impulse responses and the simulated results. / 15
2. / Compare the simulated time responses for the closed loop system and individual elements when a unity step signal is applied. / 10
3 / Use MATLAB commands to examine the frequency domain behaviour of the closed loop system. Explain the differences between the theoretical values for Bode diagrams and the simulated results. / 15
4 / Compare the simulated Bode diagrams of the closed loop system and individual elements. / 10
5 / Study the stability of the closed loop system using one of the studied stability analysis techniques for continuous systems. / 15
6 / Convert the continuous closed loop system into a discrete system using z-transform. Discuss about the important aspects related to this conversion (Shannon's sampling theorem; aliasing and folding; Analogue-to-Digital (ADC) and Digital-to-Analogue (DAC) Converters, etc.) / 15
7 / General aspect of assignment (introduction, method, conclusions, grammar) / 10
8 / Student’s individual contribution (active participation in the class and tutorial sessions, submission of homework in UniLearn Discussion Board, etc). / 10
(1) Unless there are extenuating circumstances, work submitted after the hand-in date (15 April 2016) will result in a maximum mark of 40%.
(2) The work handed in after the cut-off date (22 April 2016) will be marked with 0%.
(3) This written assignment represents 50% towards the overall mark.
(4) The salient points will be presented in lectures and reinforced by practical exercises, but students’ own searches and referencing will be necessary to achieve the appropriate undergraduate level standard.
- Billigsley, J. (2011) Essentials of Control Techniques and Theory, CRC Press.
- Bhuyan, M. (2011) Intelligent Instrumentation. Principles and Applications. CRC Press
- Chaparro (2015) Signals and systems using MATLAB. Academic Press.
- Dorf, R.C. (2006) Systems, Controls, Embedded Systems, Energy and Machines. CRC Press
- ElAli, Taan S. (2004) Discrete systems and digital signal processing with MATLAB. CRC Press
- ElAli, T.S., Karim, M.A. (2008) Continuous Signals and Systems with MATLAB. Second Edition, CRC
- Gaydecki, P. (2004) Foundations of digital signal processing: theory, algorithms and hardware design. IEE Press.
- Hayes, M. H (1999) - Schaum's outline of theory and problems of digital signal processing. McGraw Hill
- Klee, H. (2007) Simulation of dynamic systems with MATLAB and SIMULINK. CRC Press
- Lathi (2014)Essentials of digital signal processing. Cambridge University Press.
- Leonard, N. E. (1995) Using MATLAB to analyze and design control systems. Benjamin/Cummings Pub Co
- Lipschutz, S. (1997) Schaum's outline of theory and problems of discrete mathematics. McGraw-Hill
- Madisetti, V. (1998) The digital signal processing handbook. IEEE Press
- Nelson, E. W. (1998) - Schaum's outline of theory and problems of engineering mechanics: statics and dynamics. McGraw-Hill.
- Palamides, A., Veloni, A. (2011) Signals and Systems Laboratory with MATLAB. CRC Press.
- Phiilips (2014)Signals, Systems and Transforms. Pearson Education Inc.
- Qiu, M., Li, J. (2011) Real-Time Embedded Systems. Optimisation, Synthesis and networking. CRC
- Sarangapani, J. (2007) Wireless Ad Hoc and Sensor Networks – Protocols, Performance and Control. CRC Press
- Shin, Y.C., Xu, C. (2008) Intelligent Systems – Modeling, Optimization and Control. CRC Press
- Stearns, S. D., Hush, D. R. (2011) Digital signal processing with examples in MATLAB. CRC Press