Math for Liberal Arts
Voting Project TYPE YOUR NAME HERE
You must answer each of the following questions. It is expected that all work should be organized and typed within this document. Thus, complete tables and lists of results must be included. You must also use full sentences and proper grammar. Under no circumstance should any response be, for example, “Netflix was preferred.” While concise, it shows in no way any justification for arriving at that conclusion. Ideally, your responses would look very similar to the solutions for the Chapter 12 examples in our textbook.
I gave some random individuals a survey where they were asked to think about, “Which portal/interface do you prefer to use to view video/TV content?” The respondents were given the following five choices and rated them from 1 to 5, where 1 meant they preferred the most and 5 the least.Netflix (N) / Hulu Plus (H) / Amazon Prime (A) / iTunes (I) / Cable/Satelite (C)
The results of the voting process were as follows:# of Votes / 2 / 3 / 2 / 2 / 2 / 1 / 2 / 5 / 1 / 1 / 1
1st Choice / I / H / A / N / H / I / N / C / N / A / H
2nd Choice / H / C / N / I / A / N / C / N / A / H / N
3rd Choice / C / A / H / H / N / H / H / I / H / N / I
4th Choice / N / N / I / A / I / A / A / A / I / C / C
5th Choice / A / I / C / C / C / C / I / H / C / I / A
For this project you must complete the following items.
- After making this preference table Mr. Gisch found five more ballets. Add the ballets to the existing preference table.
NIHAC, INHAC, CNIAH, CNIAH, AHNCI
- How many total people voted?
- What would the majority of this population be (I did not ask who had the majority)?
- Using the plurality method who won?
- Using the Borda-Count (points) method who won?
- Using the sequential-elimination method who won?
- If you were to do the pairwise-comparison method, how many comparisons would you have to make?
- Use the pairwise-comparison method to determine a winner.
- After all of your research, who do you believe won and why?