Last data updates: 19June 2013
Ho, Y.S. and Ofomaja, A.E.(2006), Kinetic studies of copper ion adsorption on palm kernel fibre.Journal of Hazardous Materials,137 (3), 1796-1802.Document type: Article / Language: English / Cited references: 25 / Timescited: 28 / Times self cited: 5
Abstract: Palm kernel fibre is a common agricultural waste in West Africa and its use as an adsorbent for the removal of copper ions from aqueous solution has been studied. Batch kinetics studies were carried out based on the assumption of the pseudo-second-order kinetic model, which was developed to predict the rate constant of adsorption, the equilibrium adsorption capacity and initial adsorption rate with the effect of initial copper concentration and reaction temperature. A comparison was made of the linear least-squares method and a trial-and-error non-linear method of the pseudo-second-order kinetic model for the adsorption of copper onto palm kernel fibre. (c) 2006 Elsevier B.V. All rights reserved.
Author Keywords: Copper; Sorption; Palm Kernel Fibre; Pseudo-Second-Order; Non-Linear
Keywords Plus: Aqueous-Solutions; Waste-Water; Metal-Ions; Nonlinear Methods; Heavy-Metals; Tree Fern; Sorption; Removal; Lead; Biosorption
Addresses: Ho YS (reprint author), Peking Univ, Coll Environm Sci, Dept Environm Sci, Beijing, 100871 Peoples R China
Peking Univ, Coll Environm Sci, Dept Environm Sci, Beijing, 100871 Peoples R China
Univ Benin, Fac Sci, Dept Chem, Benin, Edo StateNigeria
- Sun, X.F., Jing, Z.X., Wang, H.H. and Li, Y.J. (2013), Removal of low concentration Cr(VI) from aqueous solution by modified wheat straw. Journal of Applied Polymer Science, 129 (3), 1555-1562.
- Bingol, D., Inal, M. and Cetintas, S. (2013), Evaluation of Copper Biosorption onto Date Palm (Phoenix dactylifera L.) Seeds with MLR and ANFIS Models. Industrial & Engineering Chemistry Research, 52 (12), 4429-4435.
- Feroze, N., Kazmi, M. and Ramzan, N. (2013), Dead immobilized Rhizopus Arrhizus as a potential biosorbent for copper removal. Korean Journal of Chemical Engineering, 30 (1), 95-100.
- Wu, W.Q., Yang, Y., Zhou, H.H., Ye, T.T., Huang, Z.Y., Liu, R. and Kuang, Y.F. (2013), Highly Efficient Removal of Cu(II) from Aqueous Solution by Using Graphene Oxide. Water Air and Soil Pollution, 224 (1.
- Wang, X.M., Deng, R.J., Jin, X.Y. and Huang, J.H. (2012), Gallic acid modified hyper-cross-linked resin and its adsorption equilibria and kinetics toward salicylic acid from aqueous solution. Chemical Engineering Journal, 191), 195-201.
- Zhang, J.H., Xiao, K.M. and Huang, F.F. (2012), Adsorption characteristics of Methylene Blue on activated carbon from rice husk ash by chemical-thermal process. Advances in Environmental Science and Engineering, Pts 1-6, 518-523), 2303-2306.
- Dundar, M., Nuhoglu, C. and Nuhoglu, Y. (2011), Biosorption of Cr(VI) onto the litter of natural trembling poplar forest. Environmental Progress & Sustainable Energy, 30 (4), 599-608.
- Volchek, K., Miah, M.Y., Kuang, W.X., DeMaleki, Z. and Tezel, F.H. (2011), Adsorption of cesium on cement mortar from aqueous solutions. Journal of Hazardous Materials, 194), 331-337.
- El-Sayed, G.O. (2011), Removal of methylene blue and crystal violet from aqueous solutions by palm kernel fiber. Desalination, 272 (1-3), 225-232.
- Miretzky, P. and Munoz, C. (2011), Enhanced metal removal from aqueous solution by Fenton activated macrophyte biomass. Desalination, 271 (1-3), 20-28.
- Kara, A. and Tuncel, A. (2011), Kinetics, Isotherms and Thermodynamics of the Adsorption of Lead(II) Ions onto Porous Mono-sized Microspheres Possessing Imidazole Functional Groups. Adsorption Science & Technology, 29 (3), 259-275.
- Ofomaja, A.E. (2011), Kinetics and pseudo-isotherm studies of 4-nitrophenol adsorption onto mansonia wood sawdust. Industrial Crops and Products, 33 (2), 418-428.
- Hubbe, M.A., Hasan, S.H. and Ducoste, J.J. (2011), Cellulosic Substrates for Removal of Pollutants from Aqueous Systems: A Review. 1. Metals. Bioresources, 6 (2), 2161-U2914.
- Ahmad, T., Rafatullah, M., Ghazali, A., Sulaiman, O. and Hashim, R. (2011), Oil Palm Biomass-Based Adsorbents for the Removal of Water Pollutants-A Review. Journal of Environmental Science and Health Part C-Environmental Carcinogenesis & Ecotoxicology Reviews, 29 (3), 177-222.
- Jiang, J.Z. and Ng, F.T.T. (2010), Production of low sulfur diesel fuel via adsorption: an equilibrium and kinetic study on the adsorption of dibenzothiophene onto NaY zeolite. Adsorption-Journal of the International Adsorption Society, 16 (6), 549-558.
- Bai, M.T., Komali, K. and Venkateswarlu, P. (2010), Equilibrium, kinetic and thermodynamic studies on biosorption of copper and zinc from mixed solution by Erythrina variegata orientalis leaf powder. Indian Journal of Chemical Technology, 17 (5), 346-355.
- Ofomaja, A.E. (2010), Equilibrium studies of copper ion adsorption onto palm kernel fibre. Journal of Environmental Management, 91 (7), 1491-1499.
- Ofomaja, A.E., Naidoo, E.B. and Modise, S.J. (2010), Kinetic and Pseudo-Second-Order Modeling of Lead Biosorption onto Pine Cone Powder. Industrial & Engineering Chemistry Research, 49 (6), 2562-2572.
- Ofomaja, A.E., Naidoo, E.B. and Modise, S.J. (2010), Dynamic studies and pseudo-second order modeling of copper(II) biosorption onto pine cone powder. Desalination, 251 (1-3), 112-122.
- Ponnusami, V., Gunasekar, V. and Srivastava, S.N. (2009), Kinetics of methylene blue removal from aqueous solution using gulmohar (Delonix regia) plant leaf powder: Multivariate regression analysis. Journal of Hazardous Materials, 169 (1-3), 119-127.
- Ofomaja, A.E., Naidoo, E.B. and Modise, S.J. (2009), Removal of copper(II) from aqueous solution by pine and base modified pine cone powder as biosorbent. Journal of Hazardous Materials, 168 (2-3), 909-917.
- Haron, M.J., Tiansih, M., Ibrahim, N.A., Kassim, A. and Yunus, W.M.Z.W. (2009), Sorption of Cu(Ii) by Poly(Hydroxamic Acid) Chelating Exchanger Prepared from Pol(Ymethyl Acrylate) Grafted Oil Palm Empty Fruit Bunch (Opefb). Bioresources, 4 (4), 1305-1318.
- Ngah, W.S.W. and Hanafiah, M.A.K.M. (2008), Removal of heavy metal ions from wastewater by chemically modified plant wastes as adsorbents: A review. Bioresource Technology, 99 (10), 3935-3948.
- Ngah, W.S.W. and Hanafiah, M.A.K.M. (2008), Adsorption of copper on rubber (Hevea brasiliensis) leaf powder: Kinetic, equilibrium and thermodynamic studies. Biochemical Engineering Journal, 39 (3), 521-530.
- Nehrenheim, E. and Gustafsson, J.P. (2008), Kinetic sorption modelling of Cu, Ni, Zn, Pb and Cr ions to pine bark and blast furnace slag by using batch experiments. Bioresource Technology, 99 (6), 1571-1577.
- Inbaraj, B.S., Chiu, C., Ho, G.H., Yang, J. and Chen, B.H. (2008), Effects of temperature and pH on adsorption of basic brown 1 by the bacterial biopolymer poly(gamma-glutamic acid). Bioresource Technology, 99 (5), 1026-1035.
- Mittal, A., Gupta, V.K., Malviya, A. and Mittal, J. (2008), Process development for the batch and bulk removal and recovery of a hazardous, water-soluble azo dye (Metanil Yellow) by adsorption over waste materials (Bottom Ash and De-Oiled Soya). Journal of Hazardous Materials, 151 (2-3), 821-832.
- Wesley, M.J., Pikus, W., Ikehata, K., Fu, H.J., El-Din, A.G., Bressler, D.C. and El-Din, M.G. (2007), Agricultural wastes. Water Environment Research, 79 (10), 1568-1612.
- Osman, B., Özer, E.T., Kara, A., Güçer, . and Beşirli, N. (2012), Assesment of dimethyl phthalate removal from aqueous phase using barium hexaferrite containing magnetic beads. Journal of Colloid and Interface Science, 378, 167-174.