Animal Defense League-Assistant Manager -Paul Jolly Adoption Center
The Assistant Manager is responsible for successful andprofessional operations:assisting management of the adoption center with any task assigned. This includes:participating in theadoption process; training and managing adoption center staff; helping with retail operations; and adoption center accounting. This position must interface successfully with direct management, directors and staff from all ADL departments, particularly the kennels and hospital.This position must ensure that the highest level of customer service is provided at all times.This position will report directly to the PJAC Adoption Center Manager.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Helps oversee both the kennel care and the adoption process; works directly with center management team to refine the process as needed; and provides the highest level of professional, customer service possible
- Actively participates in the adoption and kennel housing process
- Assists with training employees and volunteers on the kennel care, adoption process and ADL policies and procedures
- Helps manage the adoptionoffice, and is primary contact on the manager’s day off.
- In the managers absence, serves as primary customer service contact, including: answering questions, welcoming customers/visitors, handling customer complaints, difficult customers and other communication issues
- Acts as a liaison between (and represents) the adoption center and all other departments, communicating relevant information as needed
- Participates in the development of policies and procedures; monitors work activities to ensure compliance with established policies and procedures; makes recommendations for changes and improvements to training, existing standards, and procedures
- Works with the bookkeeper and Director of Finance & Business Operations to ensure standardized accounting procedures and money-handling policies are practiced by all staff
- Monitors accuracy of the POS system at front desk, making adjustments as necessary
- Completes tasks given by management in a quick, efficient and correct manner.
- Follows through with customer service training for all employees
- Works with, trains and schedules adoption center volunteers; keeping the Manager informed of all issues
- Represents the Adoption Center at ADL staff meetings and mandatory ADL functions; is a public and professional representative of ADL at all times
- Continually looks for ways to improve all operations and aspects of the Adoption Center
- Covers shifts as needed
- All other duties as assigned and needed to support adoptions and all ADL functions
- Knows when it is appropriate to get management involved in an issue, even manager’s day off.
- Must possess a passion and real commitment to help companion animals in a shelter environment
- Must have excellent customer service skills and at least three years of documented experience working with the public
- Must have a calm demeanor and be able to defuse and talk to unreasonable customers
- Must have experience working with animals and have some knowledge of companion animal behavior
- Must have excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Must be self-directed and able to make decisions
- Must be organized, detail-oriented and have strong time management skills
- Must be able to work weekends, particularly Saturdays,and field phone calls after hours and at other times
- Must have computer skills
- Must have a valid Texas Driver’s License with a clean driving record
- Prior vet tech skills preferred but not required
Physical demands and working conditions:
Physical requirements include the ability to lift and carry up to 35 pounds. Subject to climbing, kneeling, lifting, sitting, standing, stooping, bending, and walking to perform the essential functions. Working conditions are inside and outside with frequent exposure to temperature variations, hazardous chemicals, noise, dirty environment, confining work space and unfavorable odors.