EARTH AND SPACE SCIENCE (ESS)!
Mrs. Lobin –A234
Earth and Space Science is a capstone course designed to build on students prior scientific and academic knowledge and skills to develop an understanding of Earth’s System in space and time.SIX WEEKS / UNIT NAME / ESTIMATED PACING
1 / The Universe
The Solar System / 10 Days
2 / Geologic Time / 22 Days
3 / Geodynamics / 20 Days
4 / Rocks and Mineral
Weathering / 20 Days
5 / Sculpting the Earth’s Surface
The Ocean / 14 Days
6 / The Atmosphere
Climate Change / 10 Days
CONFERENCE:2nd Period – 8:27-9:17
Room phone:281-237-1835Rings before/after school hours only /Leave a message please!
Tutoring:Tuesday morning – 6:45 – 7:15/Come prepared!
Passes are available for tutoring/makeups during enrichment.
Textbook:There is an online textbook that is available. If you need an actual book, feel free to check
Grades:Grades are a combination of the following:
Labs and Quizzes-----30%
Tests------60% (odd days)
- Spiral Notebook (Mandatory for note taking)
- Folder with pockets to keep handouts
- #2 pencils
I will treat you with respect, so that you will know how to treat me.
- Feel free to do anything that doesn’t cause a problem for anyone else.
- If you cause a problem, I will ask you to solve it.
- If you can’t solve the problem or choose not to, I will do something.
- What I do will depend on the special person and the special situation and district guidelines.
CELL PHONE POLICY:
- Electronic devices are not to be used in the classroom unless specific permission has been given by Mrs. Lobin for a particular assignment or activity. Students will receive a verbal warning the first time their cell phone is out. Upon the second violation, Mrs. Lobin will revoke final exam exemption for Earth and Space by giving the student an “N” (Needs Improvement) on their report card. If a third violation occurs, students will be given a “U” (Unsatisfactory) and allfinal exam exemptions will be ineligible. If a violation occurs during testing, a zero will be awarded on the test or quiz. There is a ZERO TOLERANCE policy for electronic devices.
PROCEDURES AND MAKE-UP WORK
- In accordance with district policy, every day of absence has two nights to make-up the work. It is the student’s responsibility to turn each day’s assignments into the hands of the teacher on time. The exception is when the absence occurs on test day only, then the test is taken immediately upon return.
- All assignments are written on the left side chalkboard (students are responsible for keeping up with all assignments). Make-up worksheets are provided in the make-up binder on the table next to the front door. The student is responsible for taking care of work missed in the time allotted.
*If a student fails to complete assignment within the two days, then a zero will be recorded for that assignment.
- LATE WORK: In accordance with district policy Late major assignments are deducted 25% each day for two days and on the third day the assignment is GIVEN A ZERO. Daily/Homework assignments are NOT accepted late. HOMEWORK not turned in at the beginning of the period is late.
- All missed labs, quizzes, and tests MUST be made up before the next test- or a grade of a 0 will be given.
CUMULATIVE TEST RETAKE:
All students will take a cumulative six-weeks test during the last week of each six weeks in class. This test will serve as a major grade in addition to replacement of grades under a 70. The criteria are listed below:
- All failing test grades can be replaced with a 70 if a grade of 70 or higher is earned on the six weeks test.
- One lower test grade, but above a 70, can be replaced if a higher grade is earned on the six weeks test.
- Only the higher grade will be recorded.
For example - Test grades: 45, 75,65…….Cumulative: 85……………….Bump up the 45 and 65 to 70
Or Test grades: 75, 80………..Cumulative: 85…………..Bump up the 75 to a 85
REMEMBER: The cumulative WILL count as a major grade in addition to helping raise failing test grades.