Quail Hollow Middle School
Summer Math Assignment
Dear Parents and Families,
Math is a cumulative discipline; each course builds upon previous concepts with more complexity, more integration, and more independent work. Your child will be focusing on objectives that they should have mastered by the time they start school in the fall. We will be using Khan Academy to provide extra practice on needed skills to enhance your child’s success in the coming school year.
Here are some ways you can support your child’s efforts:
- Please review your child’s work in Khan Academy with your child.
- Help your child create a timeline for work completion. The objectives were carefully chosen since they are the building blocks of math instruction in middle school. Student success in math is contingent upon their ability to quickly and correctly complete the work.
- Provide a quiet, organized work space to help your child stay focused.
- It’s ok if you or other adults provide assistance.
- Calculators should not be used unless otherwise indicated. Students must show all their work.
- Try to make time to review your child’s work at the end of each worksheet.
If you do not have internet access at home, the Quail Hollow computer lab will be open Tuesday and Thursday from 10:00 – 2:00 from June 19 to July 29. Volunteers will assist your child with completing their summer assignment.
Thank you for encouraging your child to work on math over the summer!
Summer Math: Khan Academy
Rising 8th grade
Step 1: Sign in to using your gaggle account information.
If you don’t have a login, create one!
Steps to create a Khan Academy login:
- In the upper-right corner, click “Login”
- To the right, next to “Don’t have an account?” Click “Sign Up”.
- Click “Sign up using email”
- Enter your First name, Last name, Date of birth and your gaggle email.
- Gaggle email
First name initial + last name + last 4 of student ID @cms.gaggle.net
- Gaggle password
Birthdate – yymmdd
- Once submitted, go to gaggle email and find the email from Khan Academy.
- Click on the link in the email.
- You now have a Khan Academy account.
Step 2: Enter Class code: N7KHEZ
Go to COACH at the top of the page and enter the code to see the Summer Practice.
Step 3: Master summer math activities
- Complete the Mastery Challenge to determine your specific areas of growth. Throughout the summer, master the suggested assignments to ensure you are on track for a successful school year.
- Complete the Summer Assignments determined by your 8th grade teachers.
You should master the Summer Assignments before the start of the school year.