Head of Maclay Middle School
- The position of Middle School Head is a member of the school’s Leadership Team and reports to the Assistant Head of School and is on the Head of School's One School Leadership Council. The Middle School Head is responsible for shaping positive behavior, for promoting honor, for cultivating leadership, and for delivering a challenging academic program in the Middle School at Maclay. This person manages the day-to-day operation of the Middle School. The primary responsibilities of the Middle School Head are to create a vision that is consistent with the culture of Maclay and communicate a vision for a Middle School that will help students mature and become responsible and productive members of our global community. He or she shall serve primarily as the educational leader of the Middle School and work with his/her team to lead and oversee discipline, counseling, and wellness systems and be a resource for students, faculty, and parents. The Head of Middle School will be responsible for proactive and consistent observing, supervising, and evaluating the faculty in the teaching process. The Head shall cultivate a character of empathy among all students and will manage and assist the Middle School faculty in the carrying out of the curricular vision for the school.
EXPERIENCES AND QUALIFICATIONS
The next Head of Middle School should have successful teaching, administrative, and leadership experience. This person should have a track record of taking a lead role in building positive partnerships with students and parents, and should possess both an acumen for and solid experience in principles and practice of curriculum development and assessment.
The ideal candidate will bring a collaborative leadership style, expert communication and listening skills, and adeptness in relationship-building. The new Head of Middle School will need to be involved in the daily life of Maclay, and to serve as a persuasive and welcoming ambassador in all areas of school life. The School seeks an individual who values and acknowledges the contributions of others, who creates an environment of mutual trust and respect, who demonstrates vigor and energy, and who approaches all tasks with a student-centered priority and a healthy sense of humor. The new Head should exhibit inherent integrity and demonstrate a natural affinity for students and an enthusiasm for their events, activities, and interests.
Preference will be given to sitting Division Heads with specific experience in differentiated instructional practices, managing different learning styles, and individualized professional development.
QUALITIES AND CHARACTERISTICS SOUGHT
- Lifetime learner as evidenced by advanced degrees.
- Exceptional oral and written communication skills that have contributed to building program success, spirit, and community.
- Proven administrative leadership skills managing a complex environment as evidenced by professionalism, integrity, credibility, visibility, collaboration, humility, and high standards.
- Intellectual leadership and demonstrated exploration of new educational opportunities that advance the appropriate use of technology.
- Effective stewardship of institutional assets, including staff, budgets and facilities.
- Experience with, and an eagerness to engage, in outreach efforts to other divisions, parents and students outside of their classroom experience.
Interested and qualified candidates should submit electronically (as separate PDF documents in one e-mail) the following materials:
- A cover letter expressing interest in the Maclay School position
- A current resume
- Employment Application
- A statement of educational philosophy
Application deadline is November 1st, 2017.
Send materials to: Mrs. Les Lundberg, Search Committee Chair, , (850) 893-2138