May 2018 Newsletter
Gallery Hours:M-F 10AM-4PM W 10AM-7PM SAT 1-4PM
For Classes and Current Information — Check our web tabs at greensburgartcenter.org. Like and follow us on FACEBOOK
OUR year-round Gallery showcases an ever-growing cross-section of established and emerging regional artists. GAC is a resource for art activities, classes, exhibits, and more. Artists and students alike explore a wide variety of media, including ceramics, sculpture, fiber art, photography, and jewelry.
Opening Reception May 19, 6-8 pm Members, If you plan to come, please consider bringing a food item for the buffet table. Many Thanks, The Gallery Committee
“Picture This at the Library” is a joint venture between the Greensburg ArtCenter and the Greensburg-Hempfield Library. Portrait Artist, Caroline Taylor, will be featured from April 24 through May 31, 2018. A reception will be held on May 3, 2018 from 6-8 PM. The reception is free and is open to the public. If you are interested in becoming an exhibitor for the 2019 season, please contact Rosemary Sovyak at or 412-558-0810.
Greensburg/Hempfield Library Mural on Third Floor...To honor the memory of the contributions of Hempfield educator and Kindergarten teacher, Ina Abraham, a mural in the Greensburg/Hempfield Children's Room at the library was planned. Pat Majcher spent many hours to design a creative mural for the area to bring honor to Ina, a respected children's educator and peer. She was assisted in the planning by Mary Ann Calabrase, who donated the paint needed for the mural project. Other artists who assisted with the mural, all members of GAC, include Nancy Dalverny, Shirleah Kelly, and and Rose Sovyak. The mural will be officially dedicated later in the spring.
Upcoming Juried Exhibitiion
BIENNIAL EXHIBITION. Entry Deadline: May 18
ENTRIES ARE ALREADY ROLLING IN FOR OUR UPCOMING BIENNIAL... Fred Danziger is our juror for the 2018 Biennial Exhibit. Check out his website. More information on the Greensburg Art Center website… down load the PROSPECTUS here or go here to Online Entry Form to enter. Wonderful prizes and the opportunity to be in a first-rate show at our first rate venue.
EDUCATION (Sign up for Workshops online at greensburgartcenter.org)
- EILEEN SUDZINA Workshop—June 1,2,3 -- Creative, Looser with more Design and Drama Workshop Cost: $250 Registration due date: May 25 Additional 10% discount...... $225.00
- Mary Ellen Raneri - fabric design workshop Tues July 17, TH July 19, Fri July 20, 1-5:00 PM, $75 includes all materials
- Cheryl Robertson - Textured Precious Metal Clay Jewelry, Create a pure silver necklace and matching earrings (or 2 silver necklaces). Aug 20 & Aug 24, 1-4:00 PM Deadline to register for this class is July 31 so the supplies can be ordered and received.
CHILDREN'S CAMPS (Watch for Online Registration at our website)
July 31 - Aug 3, 10-12:30, ages 8-12 - $60
Aug 14,15,16 , 10-12:30, ages 5-7 - $40
The summer class flyer will be published and mailed in May.
Classes will begin in June. Check the website as details become available.
May 4 - Carolyn Taylor's Library show opening 6-8 PM
May 10 - "Thursday's Specials" show opening 6-8 PM
May 14 - Membership Meeting 7 PM
May 17 - model session 10 AM - 1 PM
May 18- Complementary Juried Art Exhibition Entries Due
June 1,2,3 - Eileen Sudzina workshop 10 AM - 4 PM
July 17,19,20 - Mary Raneri's fabric design workshop 1-5 PM
June 23 - HelenThorne's show opening 6-8 PM
July 21 - Biennial "Complementary" show opening 6-8 PM
July 31-Aug 3 - Imagination Camp for ages 8-12
Aug 11 - Art on the Stein
Aug 14-16 - Imagination Camp for ages 5-7
Aug 20 & 24 - Precious Metal Clay workshop
- Oils with Jerry Scorpion-teens/adults, Saturdays 1-3 PM, sessions are on-going.
- Figure Drawing Session-Third Thursday of each MONTH, 10AM-1PM. $10 Expand and challenge your drawing skills! Join with a small, but dedicated band of artists, as they draw the human form using any medium or approach! The sessions are held in a supportive and relaxed environment. Hope to see you there! Questions or suggestions? Call Carolyn Taylor at 724-600-0902.
- “Paint a Masterpiece,” with Nina Stalhberg, Thursdays 10 AM-1 PM. $18/session
- Tole-painting, Rose Hastings, Tuesdays, on-going, 6-9 PM
ART ON THE VINE
The 5th annual Art on the Vine fund-raiser was April 21. The evening was filled with beautiful tables of food matched with Greendance wines including the dessert table provided by Sandhill Berries. Many guests came dressed in the theme of "Puttin' on the Ritz", and pictures were taken at the photo booth by Jim and Suzanne Andrews. Wine glasses painted under the direction of Stacey Pydnykowski and Sarah Hunter were given as favors and used to taste the assortment of wines. The silent auction of donated works kept Renie Pollock and Jerry Scorpion busy at the sales desk. Music was provided by Groove Elements, and the evening ended with dancing and fun. Thanks to all who donated, decorated, cooked, shopped, danced and joined us for the evening.
Pam Cooper continues to offer Paint&Sip and birthday parties. Call 724-216-7512 to make arrangements.
- Clay Studio Rental: We are pleased to see an increase in interest in using the clay studio. In order to accommodate all interested members and prevent any conflicts among renters and future clay classes, ALL PARTIES must schedule their time on the calendar in the classroom and pay their rent at least 24 hours in advance. There will be no increase in the rental fee at this time, but Payment must be made at the time of scheduling. I will be reconciling these payments when I reconcile sales. Please have a monitor fill out a sales slip with your payment for my records.
- DARKROOM Rental—A DARKROOMis available for rental. The DARKROOM is designed properly for use with several enlargers and the necessary trays, sink, safe light, timers, etc. Chemicals and developing paper are NOT included in the rental cost. Bring your negatives or film and have fun developing! $5/day.InTERESTED? Call Shirleah Kelly 412-915-030
MONITORS NEEDED...IF YOU HAVE EVER THOUGHT ABOUT BECOMING A MONITOR AT GAC or would just like more information. Please contact Alice O'Brien at or call her at 724-864-0865. We will be organizing training sessions in the near future. GAC could certainly use your help!
The Monitor Schedule is now on the web’spull-down menu under WELCOME.
NOTES FROM THE PRESIDENT – Renie Pollock
- PUTTIN' ON THE RITZ was an understatement. Every single part of this year Art on the Vine fundraiser was FAB-U-LOUS!!!! Bow ties and fascinators were everywhere, the food and wine was spectacular, and the art auction pieces were better than ever. If you haven't ever come, you have no idea what you're missing. It's the best bargain in the county. Be sure and put it on your calendar for next year. Thanks to everyone who helped bring this together. I am so proud of you all!
- ABOVE AND BEYOND THE CALL OF MEMBERSHIP. Many thanks to Dan Overdorff for handling everything for our most recent exhibit "Contemporaries". It was a monumental task in many ways and he made it a real breeze for the Gallery Committee by shouldering most of the logistics himself. What a blessing to see the new generation of artists coming forward to keep our center flourishing.
- CALL FOR FEATURED SOLO OR GROUP ARTIST SHOWS FOR 2019 - Proposals must be in the hands of anyone on the Gallery Committee by May 6 for presentation at the May 7 meeting or submitted online through our website, . Members of the committee include Sue Pollins, Susan Kiren, Bonnie Hoffman, Tom Niggel, Cathy Rosensteel, Cheryl Kirsch, Pat Majcher, Rose Sovyak, Sarah Hunter, Marcia Koynok, and myself.
- I am sad to report the loss of a longtime member and good friend of the GAC, Wendell Keck. He was such a gentleman and a real pleasure to know for those who had the privilege of spending any time with him.
CORRESPONDENCES SECRETARY’S REQUEST
If you know of someone from the membership in need of sympathy, a thank you, get-well card, etc., pleasecontact Mary Ann Calabrase, GAC’s Correspondence Secretary. Her phone number is 724-834-7242
Gabe Felice, an exhibitor in our CONTEMPORARIES EXHIBIT, recently lost his brother Michael Joseph Felice. Thought and Prayers for the family members. Memorial contributions may be made to the Wildlife Works, PO Box 113, Youngwood PA 15697 or at
IF YOU HAVE EVER THOUGHT ABOUT BECOMING A MONITOR AT GAC, or would just like more information....Please contact Alice O'Brien at or call her at 724-864-0865. We will be organizing training sessions in the near future. GAC could certainly use your help!
Donations —For all of you who love the Greensburg Art Center SHOW YOUR SUPPORT IN A MEANINGFUL WAY TO HELP US CONTINUE TO SERVE AS A TRUE COMMUNITY ART CENTER THROUGH YOUR CONTRIBUTION TO THE CENTER…Download the Special Donor Form at to donate via PayPal. Call 724-837-6791.
EXHIBITION OPPORTUNITIES/Members News
- Westmoreland Hospital Auxiliary opening for GAC artists. The opening is Monday, May 7, 2018 between the hours of 11 AM and 2 PM. Excela is sending an e-mail to hospital staff and we are sending one to Auxiliary members. The display/refreshments will be located in the Hospitality Shop near the main entrance to the hospital and lobby. Refreshments will be provided by Auxiliary members. Parking is limited in the hospital area, so the best bet would be in the parking garage.
- East of Eastside Gallery Show, now also online, and National and Regional Art Show Acceptances/ GWS/PSA 27 Jun 2017 10:50 PM
- The Westmoreland Museum of American Art: Call for Pop-Up Exhibition Proposals. The Westmoreland is accepting proposals for Pop-Up Exhibitions, which are held in the Robertshaw Gallery (adjacent to the lobby on the 1st floor). Artists working in all media will be considered. Site-specific installations are welcome. Guidelines for submitting proposals are available at:
STANDING COMMITTEES IN NEED OF NEW VOLUNTEERS - If you have even a little bit of time and can help sporadically, we could use some new faces for these committees - Gallery (extra hands to install exhibits, do mailings, handle receiving and pickup, set up for openings, and refreshments), Facilities help.
ATTENTION: THE BLUE GARBAGE CAN IN THE KITCHEN IS FOR RECYCLING ONLY. IT SHOULD BE PUT OUT EVERY MONDAY. IT IS PICKED UP EVERY TUESDAY MORNING.
Newsletter Submissions Shirleah Kelly- . Lost your copy of the Newsletter, no worries! The latest version is always available on the web at